puss2puss

.. well ..
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hell0 tempers and temperesses!
A while ago i jtagged my console, and after years of service: my loyal Zephyr as gone in a temporary coma (i need to replace an efuse..)

That being said, today i got myself an xbox360 S Corona V2 and i will RGH as soon as possible, but i just wanted to ask for some small confirmation to make sure i understand correctly what i need since i'm use to jtag, not chips..

- if i want to re-program the chip or read/write nand with a jrp, can i still use an homemade LPT capable like with the old jtagging?
- for reading the 4gb nand with the sd adapter, do i only need to do it with an SD adapter or i also need the jrp ? i think i only need the sd read write kit but hey, gotta drench my insecurity!
upload_2020-2-3_12-0-9.gif

- is it still a good option to use an Ace v3 for my console? (Corona v2)
- is there any performance differences between chips? exemple: longer loading time in games, crashes to menu, etc..

Thanks!

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I think most Ace chips are pre-programmed for Corona boards tbh.

Yeh you do need a SD R/W kit.

Depends on your wiring.
Tweaking the boottimes can be done by shorting the CPU_RST wire bit by bit.

Reactions: puss2puss

Roamin64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
(i need to replace an efuse..) Nope , you don't. efuse aren't for protecting a device , but to keep track of updates and changes in the firmware.

puss2puss

.. well ..
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hey hey Dinoh-Hamada hehe howzit doing?
thanks for the reply!
What is the difference between the Ace v3 and the v5 ? will i be missing on something if i use a v3 ?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

(i need to replace an efuse..) Nope , you don't. efuse aren't for protecting a device , but to keep track of updates and changes in the firmware.
Yes.
The way i messed up my board by accident..yes, i do need to change one of them and clean the mess i made and bridge the power..long story..

Last edited by puss2puss,

Roamin64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hey hey Dinoh-Hamada hehe howzit doing?
thanks for the reply!
What is the difference between the Ace v3 and the v5 ? will i be missing on something if i use a v3 ?

Yes.
The way i messed up my board by accident..yes, i do need to change one of them and clean the mess i made and bridge the power..long story..

You have to be confusing a FUSE with a eFUSE. You cannot , change an eFuse. They are embedded inside the CPU and simply cannot be changed. Fuses on the other hand are meant to be changed.

puss2puss

.. well ..
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You have to be confusing a FUSE with a eFUSE. You cannot , change an eFuse. They are embedded inside the CPU and simply cannot be changed. Fuses on the other hand are meant to be changed.
Thus why i bought another console (but you can actually re-bridge the efuse from underneath the board), i doubt i will change the CPU this year, but i will one day. Then i will re-bridge the power since i messed up MORE then only the efuse (its a long story, but i never used diodes on this Zephyr and after around 6 years, it finnaly paid the price.. i then decided to dessasemble it to check the exact cpu i would need if it was the case and i tought: might aswell change the thermal paste while i'm there... but then.. i dropped the board ( i know it sound dumb but circumstances where there lol..next time i will do it alone to avoid disturbance..) . Then, the board wont power up anymore, and with a multimeter, the power doesnt seem to reach further then the first capacitor.

Having 1 week before vacation, i wanted to hurry up so i bought a used Slim, a beautiful Corona v2.
Eventually i will repair my Zephy but for now, i'm enjoying the new features from the Slim hehe..i love the little sfx when booting up or ejecting :P and the kinect port? awesome! i was using an homemade adapter i made with 2 usb cables and an old printer power supply hehe

If it was only a fuse, i would take it from an old rrod board and replace it on the Zephyr.. i love my Zephyr board so i will eventually..hopefully.

Back to subject: anyone knows if this chip would be good? it says ACE, but the title is kinda confusing since it says ''..for Ace etc..'' and is there any cons of using a fake Ace card? (my board is Corona)
https://www.amazon.ca/Machine-Pulse...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

puss2puss

.. well ..
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
small question:
when making my SD nand tool, instead of a resistor or 68 Ohms.. will it work the same if i use a resistor of 100 Ohms instead?

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
Thus why i bought another console (but you can actually re-bridge the efuse from underneath the board), i doubt i will change the CPU this year, but i will one day. Then i will re-bridge the power since i messed up MORE then only the efuse (its a long story, but i never used diodes on this Zephyr and after around 6 years, it finnaly paid the price.. i then decided to dessasemble it to check the exact cpu i would need if it was the case and i tought: might aswell change the thermal paste while i'm there... but then.. i dropped the board ( i know it sound dumb but circumstances where there lol..next time i will do it alone to avoid disturbance..) . Then, the board wont power up anymore, and with a multimeter, the power doesnt seem to reach further then the first capacitor.

Having 1 week before vacation, i wanted to hurry up so i bought a used Slim, a beautiful Corona v2.
Eventually i will repair my Zephy but for now, i'm enjoying the new features from the Slim hehe..i love the little sfx when booting up or ejecting :P and the kinect port? awesome! i was using an homemade adapter i made with 2 usb cables and an old printer power supply hehe

If it was only a fuse, i would take it from an old rrod board and replace it on the Zephyr.. i love my Zephyr board so i will eventually..hopefully.

Back to subject: anyone knows if this chip would be good? it says ACE, but the title is kinda confusing since it says ''..for Ace etc..'' and is there any cons of using a fake Ace card? (my board is Corona)
https://www.amazon.ca/Machine-Pulse...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

you cannot fix efuses PERIOD, they are embedded within the xbox 360 cpu die, it is not a physical fuse on the motherboard, efuses are used for the hypervisor and for DRM control, they are microscopic and reside physically within as part of the xenon Cpu die, efuses is essentially a 1 bit ROM that can be updated but not erased, there is approx ~96 bytes of efuse space (768 bits) , every time the console is updated you lose some efuse bytes since they have been set to a value FOREVER, so after an update the cpu would only have let just say for example 72bytes of efuse space available (yes there is only a limited number of updates that can be preformed using efuses), the only way to replace efuses is to replace the cpu with a factory one (which has no fuses set and you have to rebuild the nand), which you'd need a SMD rework station or find a shop with one ( this is already atleast $1000+), you would HAVE rgh the console and use a Devkit recovery to flash a valid fuseset for the cpu (if you want a jtag you'd have to locate a recovery released before retail dashboard 7371 that will flash the correct CB and fuseset, then remove rgh and build your jtag nand

Last edited by Deleted member 668561,
Reactions: puss2puss

puss2puss

.. well ..
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
you cannot fix efuses PERIOD, they are embedded within the xbox 360 cpu die, it is not a physical fuse on the motherboard, efuses are used for the hypervisor and for DRM control, they are microscopic and reside physically within as part of the xenon Cpu die, efuses is essentially a 1 bit ROM that can be updated but not erased, there is approx ~96 bytes of efuse space (768 bits) , every time the console is updated you lose some efuse bytes since they have been set to a value FOREVER, so after an update the cpu would only have let just say for example 72bytes of efuse space available (yes there is only a limited number of updates that can be preformed using efuses), the only way to replace efuses is to replace the cpu with a factory one (which has no fuses set and you have to rebuild the nand), which you'd need a SMD rework station or find a shop with one ( this is already atleast $1000+), you would HAVE rgh the console and use a Devkit recovery to flash a valid fuseset for the cpu (if you want a jtag you'd have to locate a recovery released before retail dashboard 7371 that will flash the correct CB and fuseset, then remove rgh and build your jtag nand

thanks for the reply!
and yes i know i know hehe my Zephyr is jtagged since when i bought it it was on the perfect kernel :) andi i still have my nand backup.
As i said previously: i plan on changing the cpu one day with some help since i have a high sentimental value toward this Zephyr, but for now and probable for the year, i got myselft a corona v2.
2 things i messed on the board of the Zephyr: the CPU (specificly the efuse(s).. i never installed diodes in it, it didnt help..
and i need to re-bridge the power..

Anyway, my Zephyr is not dead..just..temporay coma hehe
have a good one.

Deleted member 668561

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the reply!
and yes i know i know hehe my Zephyr is jtagged since when i bought it it was on the perfect kernel :) andi i still have my nand backup.
As i said previously: i plan on changing the cpu one day with some help since i have a high sentimental value toward this Zephyr, but for now and probable for the year, i got myselft a corona v2.
2 things i messed on the board of the Zephyr: the CPU (specificly the efuse(s).. i never installed diodes in it, it didnt help..
and i need to re-bridge the power..

Anyway, my Zephyr is not dead..just..temporay coma hehe
have a good one.

you can find used jtags cheap/ xenon and zephyrs usually run for $100 usd shipped or less, i got a deal on my falcon though on 6717 (blades) which was like $115, falcon(opus) and jaspers are really the most valuable when it comes to jtags and i would not pay more than 200 shipped (and $200 for the whole bundle i.e controller,psu, i have my own hdd's so i dont need that), really if you can find a reball shop you can find nos cpu's for 360 from the chinese they usually run less than $50, but it will have only boot fuses set, all other fuses will be all zeros (they get set to 1 when written) so even your jtag nand back up will no longer work, the cpu and nand are paired during the XDK recovery process when the fuses are initally set, in order to boot xdk recovery with a null cpu key is to use rgh.

Last edited by Deleted member 668561,

puss2puss

.. well ..
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
you can find used jtags cheap/ xenon and zephyrs usually run for $100 usd shipped or less, i got a deal on my falcon though on 6717 (blades) which was like $115, falcon(opus) and jaspers are really the most valuable when it comes to jtags and i would not pay more than 200 shipped (and $200 for the whole bundle i.e controller,psu, i have my own hdd's so i dont need that), really if you can find a reball shop you can find nos cpu's for 360 from the chinese they usually run less than $50, but it will have only boot fuses set, all other fuses will be all zeros (they get set to 1 when written) so even your jtag nand back up will no longer work, the cpu and nand are paired during the XDK recovery process when the fuses are initally set, in order to boot xdk recovery with a null cpu key is to use rgh.
i see!
to be honest,even if i do some reballing on my homemade station, for the cpu on my board i wont do it myself, its actually my friend who might dig in it when comes the time.. me personaly i dont feel comfortable switching CPU myself . for now anyway..

Same for me, i would not buy an xbox for too much, i already have tons (for parts)

the Corona i just got last week was 20$ CAN and it looks like new! it was never opened, pretty clean, was an awesome deal, the person was selling it for someone and didnt know much about video games i think, he said it was an Arcade, i said nope, its a slim ,then he said something like ''no no, its Arcade, there's no hdd in it, its only 4GB..'' sooo i became silent and just wanted to give him the 20$ and leave lol.. right now, there are 3 xbox360 slim bundle for sale for less then 50$ in canada Qc.

Well! all is good now i think, tomorrow i should receive my chip and resistor, so tonight i will solder all the other wires on the SD adapter and tom orrow will add the resistor..cant wait to RGH it!

ps: side note, i love my old Zephyr, but i got to admit i was getting tired of having to power-it on a couple of time to make sure it boots and to have to re-set the system settings every one in a while..if i JTAG again, i will add Diodes this time lol..

Last edited by puss2puss, , Reason: typo edit

Deleted member 668561

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah i got an opus(falcon w/o hdmi) from game-stop for $32 after tax last black friday, with rgh 1.2 it instaboots 100% never had it go more than 1 glitch cycle, my trinity was bipolar tho. i tried a 512MB BB jasper but couldn't get it to glitch at all. you don't have to swap the nand, you'll have to build a custom nand image, there are tools that let you do that, only problem is the rgloader and method that boot dev kernels on retails use their own cb versions, so iirc even if you find a xdk recovery old enough to flash a jtaggable fuseset it would still flash a higher cb and cd than the recovery, you could probably work around this but i never got much deeper than that

puss2puss

.. well ..
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yeah i got an opus(falcon w/o hdmi) from game-stop for $32 after tax last black friday, with rgh 1.2 it instaboots 100% never had it go more than 1 glitch cycle, my trinity was bipolar tho. i tried a 512MB BB jasper but couldn't get it to glitch at all. you don't have to swap the nand, you'll have to build a custom nand image, there are tools that let you do that, only problem is the rgloader and method that boot dev kernels on retails use their own cb versions, so iirc even if you find a xdk recovery old enough to flash a jtaggable fuseset it would still flash a higher cb and cd than the recovery, you could probably work around this but i never got much deeper than that
Oops it was a typo brain fart.. i meant the CPU, not the nand lol ..

Also nice for the instaboot! i didnt see your soldering skills (yet) but this prooves you must have done nice and clean solderings :yay:

..side-question:
other then pine cones and rosin.. what alternative can i use for flux?anything around the house i could use/mix ?

puss2puss

.. well ..
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
nah its for right now lol..
i still have a bit, but tomorrow i will need a bit more for 2 specific points..the rest i will do with solders with rosin in it already (roson core solder)

Have you personally tried the pine cones method? i wonder if its the same resulat as rosin ..

puss2puss

.. well ..
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yes lol it is proper material :P just soldering wires on an sd card adapter right now, i dont need flux for now.
As i said, i still have a bit i got from Aliexpress a while ago but i hate rosin flux. Pine cone flux is lot more natural and you can also buy it from amazon if you cant make it, but its fairly easy to make to be honest as long as you have pine cones lol

Deleted member 668561

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they make hard rosin flux, that is hard like a crystal until you heat it with your iron, and is only liquid when hot, so you don't have a sticky paste, like the stuff i linked, it is like a hard piece of golden quartz at room temp, as soon as you heat with the iron it melts, i never again used paste as this stuff doesn't make a mess

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.acepcs.com/products/wizbox-g-mini-pc-amd-r7-7735hs lol wizbox