Gaming Google to release web browser

MrKuenning

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use IE, Opera, Firefox, and now Chrome all for different reasons.

IE is for some page compatibility
Opera is for a speedy internet browse
Firefox is for Cool Iris, Stumble upon...

So far Chrome seems fast, but lacking the cusomizability it needs. I am using it right now, and I like that the tabs use the wasted window bar, but I dont like the lack of standard menu.

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
it's fast enough (i've been using IE for the whole time)
so far, compatibility is great - the game site that hasn't worked on firefox works, and I like the border that appears when you click on a text box. And the active X downloading is quite nice too.

well overall, i didn't like the theme it used, (hope it's changable) and the scrolling wasn't that nice (it's just like skipping, not a smooth scroll)
overall, speed, compatibility, and some animations were OK. I'm not a firefox user, so I can't compare it to firefox, but when compared to IE, I think it can be a good replacement browser.
Now I just need to wait till IE 8...
just noticed... an auto spell checker o.O!!!

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
It's a nice browser, there's one complain so far.

When opening a new tab (+) you get all 9 latest pages you looked at, i know you can use the incognito window to prevent that, but it's something you don't always think about. It would be nice to have an option to choose:

- Show latest pages you looked at when you click (+)
- Show blank page when you click (+)
- Show always start page when you click (+)

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just tried it out, and I'm switched right back to Firefox. Google promised less RAM usage, which I certainly did not notice at all, besides the fact that Chrome takes up 1 slot on Task Manager for each tab you have open (but the memory usage is still pretty much the same as Firefox).

Pages load up slower on Chrome too (yes I know there's no cache yet since I just installed it), and that's a really big issue. Why bother making a new browser if it's not gonna be faster or use up less RAM? Those are the two most major issues for browsers.

Also, for some strange reason, I can't scroll up using my touch pad, scrolling down works just fine.

Prime

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ahhhhh sweet

Just using it right now.

+ Clean GUI
+ Opens very fast
+ Fast
+ Omni bar
+ Spell checker (I know firefox has one but it doesn't work for me)
- Can't get 'New Tab' icon beside Home icon (a must for me)

I would write more but I'm busy. Some how it didn't import my RSS Feeds correctly, I'm missing 4.

strata8

Look! A pointless distraction!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Plus it boots up really quickly.

I did a Javascript benchmark thing as well. Google Chrome scored 932 while Firefox scored 101. Big difference indeed.

strata8

Look! A pointless distraction!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That was quick
blink.gif

Flawsdraw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
After further usage, I'm sticking with Chrome, Scrolling Not a problem, Plug-Ins work so not a problem, Memory is SOOOO much less used then Firefox/IE or the BT Yahoo one I used to have, Speed is superb and sod add-ons I use Internet Browsers to... browse the internet
biggrin.gif

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DeMoN said:
Just tried it out, and I'm switched right back to Firefox. Google promised less RAM usage, which I certainly did not notice at all, besides the fact that Chrome takes up 1 slot on Task Manager for each tab you have open (but the memory usage is still pretty much the same as Firefox).

Pages load up slower on Chrome too (yes I know there's no cache yet since I just installed it), and that's a really big issue. Why bother making a new browser if it's not gonna be faster or use up less RAM? Those are the two most major issues for browsers.

Also, for some strange reason, I can't scroll up using my touch pad, scrolling down works just fine.
didn't they say that even though they use tabs, they are kinda "separate" so if one tab freezes, it won't crash the whole browser?

oh here it is
QUOTEGoogle also claims that it is improving security as well since it uses a multi-process architecture that renders each tab independently. So if a user has a bad application running in one tab it won't crash or slow down the entire browser.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Finally downloaded and installed it this morning, and I really like what I see so far.

No obvious huge improvements from FF3 yet, but we'll see how that tests out over time.

My biggest issue is how the browser will handle loading/freezing on a weak wireless connection. Firefox is much better at that than IE, and hopefully the different architecture of chrome will improve upon Firefox's performance in that area.

I like to do most things "incognito" (at work), so hopefully there will be an easier way to get into incognito mode (by default preferably).

My only major beef at the moment is that I have a friend of a friend called "Chrome", and he's a douche.

[Edit] Holy crap that reply posted fast. Much faster than FF.
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Yummy yummy :rofl2: