Govee Glide Hexagon Pro Light Panels Impressions

GBAtemp_Govee Glide Hexa Pro Impressions.png

One of lighting accessory manufacturer Govee’s latest product is the Glide Hexagon Pro. It comes as a set of 10 hexagon-shaped light panels that give a 3D, cube effect when switched on. As with Govee’s other lighting products, the Glide Hexagon Pro comes with a range of customisation options through the Govee Home app and we’ll take a look at the product in this impressions piece.

Selling for $200 on the official webpage at the time of writing, the comes with the Govee Glide Hexagon Pro Light Panels package following items:

contents.jpg

contents 1.jpg front.jpg back detached.jpg

Specs details can be found below:

• Colour: RGBIC Segment Colours
  • Material: Plastic
  • Voltage: 120 Volts (AC)
  • Item Weight: 2.92 kg
  • Input: 36V/2A
  • Control Method: APP, Voice Control, Control Box
  • Working Temperature: 14°F to 104°F/-10°C to 40°C

Each light panel is similarly shaped and comes with a detachable mounting plate at the back that houses the adhesive tape. The panels are rather light and the front part has a matte finish that also shields the LED underneath from being too blinding. This is rather different from other RGB lighting products such as LED strips as these often rely on producing an underglow or reflection for the desired lighting effect. The Glide Hexagon Pro on the other hand is meant to be displayed akin to an art installation. How you display and arrange the panels is up to you as you can design a shape/pattern with the number of panels of your own liking via the companion Govee Home app.

This app is a must-have to operate the device as it will guide you to set up, calibrate and customise the panels. I also found its feature that lets you design and visualise your pattern before even starting the setup to be very helpful. However, the setup process can be quite finicky and can take some time to properly stick the panel on your wall based on your design. Thankfully, Govee made a video to guide you through to make the process more bearable:

connected 3.jpglit 2.jpglit 3.jpglit.jpg

Once set up, you can finally tune the Glide Hexagon Pro’s effect to your liking and the Govee Home app has a host of customisations to that effect. You can choose from set colours, scenes, sync to music/audio or even DIY your own effect. As the Glide Hexagon Pro features Govee’s proprietary RGBIC technology, all panels can be synchronised to function as a single cohesive piece and this delivers quite a unique effect. Another highlighted feature is the accessory’s compatibility with voice assistants such as Alexa and Google Home. Setting up this feature can also be a bit finicky but is a nice-to-have if you fancy such features.

Of note, the Govee Glide Hexagon Pro Light Panels are also compatible with Razer Chroma RGB, as is the Govee RGBIC LED Neon Rope Lights. This is also a welcome feature as it expands the use cases of the Glide Hexagon Pro to include your gamer lair while playing Chroma-compatible games.

effect 1.jpg

effect 3.jpg effect 4.jpg

These extra features aside, Govee has a decent track record of delivering quality, customisable RGB lighting products and the company doesn't disappoint with the Glide Hexagon Pro. While light and bearing a plastic body, the product is of high quality and the panels allow you to add a personal touch to your gaming room or wherever you wish to install those lights. The ability to further personalise the lighting colours/effect based on your preferences through the multitude of customisation options available further makes the setup stand out.

Even if the panels are designed to be displayed, and they do look nice once stuck on a wall, I also found the underglow effect to be pleasing. The lighting is already well shielded by the matte cover and you can further adjust the brightness level via the app but there's still something else with the look of an RGB underglow. As such, you can further customise the positioning of the panels to be close to a surface (like I did) and also provide a nice underglow effect. This versatility in customisation with the Glide Hexagon Pro is definitely a highlight of the product.

effect 2.jpg

underglow.jpg

However, there are some downsides to these light panels. While Govee has integrated a mechanic to detach the panel as well as the double-sided tape, it will be hard to reapply the tape on another location after being removed. You’d rather think carefully of where you’d want to install those lights as I wouldn’t recommend moving or even redesigning the setup. Even if some extra tapes are provided, they aren’t enough to replace those on all 10 panels. Govee could have included more or at least sold replacement ones on its website. Alternatively, you might be able to DIY sticking tapes at the back of the mounting bracket but having tapes that are shaped for these panels would be welcome.

connected.jpg

There is also the issue of the price of the Glide Hexagon Pro which isn’t exactly cheap. But if it’s within your budget and you are looking to enhance your gaming setup or even household with a unique set of lights, these will definitely stand out and provide a range of customisation to make your lighting setup truly yours.

rvtr

Nintendo DS hoarder
Trophies
Website
randommeaninglesscharacters.com
XP
Country
Canada
Sure, they look nice, but that price is awful! I could buy a ton of decent quality games (which I'd get far more out of than just staring at a wall) just for the price of those few lights.

Maybe I'm just cheap but I wouldn't pay more than $50 for some lights, and even if I paid $50, they'd have to be pretty damn nice.

Reactions: felix.200

_TheGuy_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see a bunch of streamers use these things and I never did understand the appeal of it. Maybe it's just my understanding, but these, specifically, look like they add an extra layer of hassle and mess just to set up. I'm sure the lights are probably stunning in-person, and the customization seems pretty reasonable, but it's not my taste personally. I'll just stick to my $12 lamp and be happy.

Also gotta give props to these first-impression posts. Love hearing about some new gadgets

Reactions: 6adget

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Why can't these ambient lights ever be something nice like amber or salt lamp or ocean or something? Meh.

However, there are some downsides to these light panels. While Govee has integrated a mechanic to detach the panel as well as the double-sided tape, it will be hard to reapply the tape on another location after being removed. You’d rather think carefully of where you’d want to install those lights as I wouldn’t recommend moving or even redesigning the setup. Even if some extra tapes are provided, they aren’t enough to replace those on all 10 panels. Govee could have included more or at least sold replacement ones on its website. Alternatively, you might be able to DIY sticking tapes at the back of the mounting bracket but having tapes that are shaped for these panels would be welcome.​

I would suggest Command tape or equivalent, it's a great solution if you want to stick stuff to walls but be able to reorganize and rearrange easily, and I'm surprised a $200 product wouldn't invest a few cents per unit to get that over double sided tape.

Reactions: Prans

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto