Govee LED Strip Light M1 Impressions

GBAtemp review Govee LED Strip M1.png

External lighting solutions company Govee is back with a new product to help you customise your household and, of course, your gaming lair. The new Govee LED Strip Light M1 is a low-profile LED strip that you can stick on your furniture and tune to your liking. Let’s light it up!

Retailing for $99 on the official Govee website, the Govee LED Strip Light M1 comes with the following items out of the box:

• 5m/16.4ft M1 LED strip
  • Hooks & screws
  • Control box & power plug
  • User manual
contents.jpg

specs.JPG
Specs courtesy of Govee

To set up the M1 strip, you’ll need to stick it along the surface you wish to illuminate with the double-sided tape on the underside of the 5m/16.4ft strip. It’s as easy as it sounds and can be completed within a few minutes. Govee also included hooks (with double sided tapes) and compatible screws to help provide additional support for the strip should you need them. I found this to be a welcome extra as it can help hold the strip in place in case it gets unstuck.

However, the double-sided tape on the underside of the strip is basically a one-time use affair, so you’ll have to think carefully where you want to place the strip as it would be practically fixed in place and you cannot relocate it. Having an option to easily replace the sticky tape or providing spare ones in the package would be welcome. Alternatively, another mechanism to hold the strip could have been devised, such as through multiple hooks or clips. Hopefully Govee considers such options for its next LED strip.

stuck.jpg

tape in.jpg tape.jpg lit.jpg

Once you’ve decided on the ideal location for the M1 strip, it’s ready to illuminate your setup. There are some presets for lighting patterns and colours from the control box but you’ll get the most of this accessory via the Govee Home app. The latter allows you to DIY lighting segments across the strip as well as provide access to more preset scenes. I found it to be particularly handy to adjust the brightness of specific segments or the whole length of the strip; a feature which really should have been integrated on the control box itself in the first place.

app 1.png app 2.png app 3.png

The best effect is the underglow it delivers as the light reflects on surrounding surfaces, and this is more pronounced with the strip placed on a furniture close to the wall/ceiling/floor or directly on any of the latter. I have myself placed the M1 strip around my bed frame (yes! finally a gamer bed!) and the underglow effect on the floor and surrounding furniture is quite appealing.

With its generous, 60 LEDs per metre, the M1 Strip delivers uniform lighting across the strip. In addition to the regular set lighting, the M1 can tune up to music/ambient audio for some groovy experience. It also supports Alexa and Google Assistant voice control via Wi-Fi if you’re into such features.

on 3.jpg

on 1.jpg on 2.jpg

As with other Govee products, the LED Strip Light M1 isn’t particularly cheap and there is still room for improvements. However, the quality of the product, the lighting effect and customisation options reflect on the cost. The latter aspect is particularly characteristic of the company and Govee has refined its lighting customisation to be seamless and plentiful. This is purely a cosmetic accessory so you might as well get the most fine-tuning out of it based on your liking. Should you want to tune your gaming lair or household with some customisable, low-profile LED strip, it’s worth looking into the Govee LED Strip Light M1.

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Do you guys actually enjoy RGB leds everywhere?
I don't get how "gamer" products got increasingly affected by this fad.
But eh... more power to you if you enjoy it I guess.

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I always just buy the cheap RGB strip lights that you can get from bargain shops here in the UK, places like B&M Bargains/ Home Bargains.

I've got 4 of those cheap strips in my Gaming space. One under the Desk, one that's the main room light, one for the display cabinet (which is a work in progress so don't judge yet!) and one under a small desk I've made, which isn't pictured.

I love the lighting you can achieve in the room with them. They all have adjustable brightness, fade, smooth flashing, and all off the same remote as they're all the same make.
Gaming Setup.jpg

Gaming Setup 2.jpg

Gaming Setup 3.jpg
The main ceiling light happened first obviously, the walls were bare ahaha.
Do you guys actually enjoy RGB leds everywhere?
I don't get how "gamer" products got increasingly affected by this fad.
But eh... more power to you if you enjoy it I guess.
I do, I don't use the space all THAT often, so I enjoy the ambience ahaha!

Reactions: AlexMCS

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
I bought 5 meters of Addressabe LEDS (60 per meter ws2812b), an Arduino uno + bluetooth module, an LED Driver and some wire. I made an app for my Android Phone and it kicks that Govee Strips arse. I used the FastLED library for coding with. It was much cheaper as well, less than half the price of that Govee Strip and far more customisable.
For those that can do basic coding - you are far cheaper with a DIY solution.

For anyone that want's a DIY solution to save money, here's some good tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF2KJ6Gy3cZ7ynsp8s4tnqEFmY15CKhmH

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
$99?! i can get something like this for far far cheaper that does exactly the same thing. i know you guys have some advertising deal for this but that's just a plain rip off :rofl2:

Reactions: SylverReZ

Prans

Geek, gamer, human
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
$99?! i can get something like this for far far cheaper that does exactly the same thing. i know you guys have some advertising deal for this but that's just a plain rip off :rofl2:
I'd like to know of this "advertising deal" that you know of as I'm not aware of one. The companies do provide samples of their products to test but we don't get paid for those.

And as mentioned in the article, $99 is not cheap (as with the company's other products) but it does offer a range of customisation that's not common with other RGB strips

Reactions: SylverReZ

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
99 Bidens. Thats way too much moolah.
Homeboy here will get something a bit more affordable when I want to make a room psychedelic.

Red wine, anyone? I'm having a Rosé for lunch. I like beer and enjoy gin.

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I bought 5 meters of Addressabe LEDS (60 per meter ws2812b), an Arduino uno + bluetooth module, an LED Driver and some wire. I made an app for my Android Phone and it kicks that Govee Strips arse. I used the FastLED library for coding with. It was much cheaper as well, less than half the price of that Govee Strip and far more customisable.
For those that can do basic coding - you are far cheaper with a DIY solution.

For anyone that want's a DIY solution to save money, here's some good tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF2KJ6Gy3cZ7ynsp8s4tnqEFmY15CKhmH
I often wonder about this actually. Mass production things can often be made a lot cheaper, but on the other hand there's also a lot of mass production things that can be done for a lot cheaper with just some basic knowledge...

Recently I've been looking at Custom Neon/ LED signs for the games room I've been building and they're so damn expensive. Upwards of £500 actually for the amount of characters I want. Did a little research and you can make something yourself for much, much cheaper. Electro-Luminescent wire (EL Wire) from a supplier in the UK is as cheap as £2.70 per meter!

Bought 2x 5m Deep Blue lengths of EL Wire, a UK Wall adapter for 5-15m worth of wire, and a 2 way splitter so the one adapter will power the full 10 meters. It all cost just £50 which is a 90% discount on what some companies charge!

Shouldn't be hard to make a sign, on wood, of my YouTube channel name in NiseSega Font, and the price is worth it even if it goes a little wrong ahaha. Spoiler tag shows the Lights and the font. Of course it's not as thick as Sega font, but should be okay still so...
EL Wire.jpg

EL Wire Idea.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one