• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Government class instruction comparing Obama to Hitler draws public ire in Baldwin County (Alabama)

• Thread starter Xzi
  • Start date
  • Views 5,017
  • Replies 77
  • Likes 1

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Your inclusion of "Hitler never even visited a death camp" implies that he didn't really know what was going on or at least isn't really to blame for the holocaust. The subsequent statement about Himmler reinforces that.

But you're right, you didn't explicitly state that. I am very tired and misread what you wrote. My apologies.

what parts of the literature that I cited were edited?

Apology accepted.

All literature gets revisited and edited.
All happens before printing of said works.

This is true for decades if not hundreds of years worth of literature.

If you're just going to write a book about history, nobody would bother printing it.
If you however focus on one thing and leave minor details out of it, the work becomes a lot more attractive.
Pretty much the same as how the media works.

People want sensation, not boring facts ;/

So limiting personal liberties and de-valuing human life? Sounds about right.

Anyway, if you were going to compare a president to Hitler, it would be George W. Bush. The way he snatched up a bunch of emergency powers in the wake of disaster is very reminiscent of both Julius Caesar and Hitler. Thankfully, he wasn't bright enough to follow through with it.

That can be said about pretty much everything.

I can't donate blood cus homosexual.
I'm only allowed to donate blood after abstaining from sexual contact for a year.

Isn't that devaluing someones life?
Isn't that limiting a personal liberty?

;')

Reactions: DarthDub

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well yeah, that's discrimination.

Content of the issue might be different but it comes down to the same thing.

Unfortunately, we don't live in a perfect world where there's only 1 lavatory for both sexes.
completely equal rights (yes that includes a man hitting a woman in her face)
homosexuality being exactly the same as heterosexuality (why this isn't normal yet is beyond me, also fuck marriage)
And lastly no warmongering people or superpowers that need to spend a billion a day on an army.

Mankind is destined to annihilate itself before this can be achieved.
I personally think that the closest thing to "a perfect world" would be bush people in Africa/Amazone.
You know, the tribes that never made contact with the cesspit that's called the western world.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can see some value in having kids read all sorts of things, I certainly have a growing collection of propaganda books because they are fascinating things to read. Equally if this is supposed to be a higher level class on the subject of politics (that is what AP means?) then some kind of critical thinking one would hopefully have by this point.

Likewise the article linked mentioned some parent saying there were no notions of hate or whatnot put forward by said teacher. I don't know if I want to call helicopter parents but I don't think I can make the leap from what has been shown here to outright condemnation. It might have been better for them to go through some of the trickier stuff in a class and analyse it.

Re: teaching religion despite it being the subject of one of my favourites of said propaganda books (US 1940s/late 30s anti communist rant on the subject) I do forget that it is a thing in the US. General state school had it as an optional subject and taught as dryly as history or anything else (names, dates, ideas popular at the time, logic following from them). To get worked up about that seems kind of odd. Amusingly I saw a bunch of videos earlier on "millenials not doing the religion bit" and the reasoning the various talking heads came to (apparently from current hot off the presses research) was predicted perfectly by this book.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I can see some value in having kids read all sorts of things, I certainly have a growing collection of propaganda books because they are fascinating things to read. Equally if this is supposed to be a higher level class on the subject of politics (that is what AP means?) then some kind of critical thinking one would hopefully have by this point.

Likewise the article linked mentioned some parent saying there were no notions of hate or whatnot put forward by said teacher. I don't know if I want to call helicopter parents but I don't think I can make the leap from what has been shown here to outright condemnation. It might have been better for them to go through some of the trickier stuff in a class and analyse it.

Re: teaching religion despite it being the subject of one of my favourites of said propaganda books (US 1940s/late 30s anti communist rant on the subject) I do forget that it is a thing in the US. General state school had it as an optional subject and taught as dryly as history or anything else (names, dates, ideas popular at the time, logic following from them). To get worked up about that seems kind of odd. Amusingly I saw a bunch of videos earlier on "millenials not doing the religion bit" and the reasoning the various talking heads came to (apparently from current hot off the presses research) was predicted perfectly by this book.
Teaching about something is entirely different from teaching one thing in particular with the intent of indoctrination into one train of thought. It's fine if the content is varied and presented as controversial, but not when it's implied that it's normal curriculum for schools.

Cylent1

Community Smart Ass!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People are flipping out over this while they indoctornate Islam to our school children and thats ok?
What happened to the common sense in this world?
Its like a large person counting calories when they need to be counting the chemicals in our food like products we consume
instead of worrying about getting fat! lemmings.....................

Last edited by Cylent1,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
completely equal rights (yes that includes a man hitting a woman in her face)
Have you considered that maybe both sexes have the right to NOT be hit in the face?...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

People are flipping out over this while they indoctornate Islam to our school children and thats ok?
Feel free to give an example

Reactions: Pleng and Xzi

RivenMain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should do it so hitler sounds like an amazing man gaining so many to praise his cause. And that he helped pave the road for medical knowledge much more then now because people study diseases only on rats and there'd only a 7% chance that what happens in a rat could work for you because that's as close as we are to rats. Or the best we would have are ice picking peoples brains hoping it fixes something.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It is not a personal liberty to hurt another person. If you want to harm yourself, however, you should be free to do so, but that's getting away from the topic.

So, if someone slaps you in the face and nicks your wallet, you just stand there stupidly and wait for him to apologize instead of running after said, tackling and nicking your wallet back?
I admire your pacifism and faith in humanity, I really do!

But yeh, you're right about it, it's derailing the thread drastically.

Whole lotta love

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apology accepted.

All literature gets revisited and edited.
All happens before printing of said works.

This is true for decades if not hundreds of years worth of literature.

If you're just going to write a book about history, nobody would bother printing it.
If you however focus on one thing and leave minor details out of it, the work becomes a lot more attractive.
Pretty much the same as how the media works.

People want sensation, not boring facts ;/

You seem to be conflating pop non-fiction with academic research. Academic historians strive to represent their research as objectively as possible. Your concern is the exact reason this research gets edited in the peer review process, so it is unbiased. It is of course impossible to be truly unbiased, but the peer review process helps immensely in the integrity of research that gets published.

Historians very much want boring facts. I don't know why you bring this up if you can't cite specific instances where this has compromised the sources I have cited. The only purpose I can imagine is to muddy the waters and attempt to discredit the field of history so to indirectly and fallaciously discredit my points.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure what bothers me more - this one, individual teacher's inappropriate summer reading list and his school board's inability to get him to behave, or the bigoted generalizations against any form of conservative political ideology that I see in this thread by a few posters (not all). Try to maintain some perspective with this - it is one story, one incident, one teacher. It's not a nationwide infiltration of the public school curriculum. Trust me, if anything it is more left-leaning in its editing than ever, so rest easy. Remember when all those schoolkids sang the song to Obama during the 2008 campaign? That freaked out a bunch of conservatives, like it was an indoctrination or something, but I saw that the same as this. One or a few kooks in an isolated situation, creating an extreme example.

Also, FWIW, here are some selections from NPR's summer reading list last year. Before you say the NPR's not public school ... NPR is government funded, and it's nationwide, not just one dude with a fetish for talk radio.

https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2017/07/06/534443123/summer-reading-for-your-woke-kid

A Is for Activist

Stepping Stones: A Refugee Family's Journey

Rad Women Worldwide
This book takes your child through a list of revolutionary women who changed history through activism and radical thought. Young readers meet influential leaders from the painter Frida Kahlo to anarchist political activist Emma Goldman.

Fred Korematsu Speaks Up
This book tells the story of internment camps for Japanese-Americans during World War II.

The Hate U Give

I'm not saying any of these books are inappropriate to recommend to kids ... but they all have an agenda. One might say that agenda is attuned to the current political frictions in our country. One might also reasonably say the perspective of that agenda is decidedly in support of resisting the President and any conservative policy. As Xzi said earlier in the thread, "Making the entire required reading list teach to only one political view is something else entirely."

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its like a large person counting calories when they need to be counting the chemicals in our food like products we consume
instead of worrying about getting fat! lemmings.....................
There's so much wrong with what you just said, it's literally illegal to indoctrinate students to Islam in public schools, we have a Constitution that separates church and state. You literally have no idea what you're talking about. If you find an example of a teacher doing that, you can call the school board and get them fired.

Also, aren't you the guy that said that everyone who doesn't support Trump is a communist?

Please stop commenting in political threads, you don't exaclty enrich the conversation. Please take my advice and read some newspaper articles written from the point of view of the party you hate, you really need to learn more about viewpoints that aren't your own.

Last edited by ThisIsDaAccount,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I went to the drive thru lady hands me me receipt go up to the 2nd window same lady hands me my...