Hacking Discussion GPL discussion tx

Do you think GPL breach on tx is important?

• Yes, GPL is important and tx should be prosecuted and die

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • No, GPL is bogus for a piracy product and I couldn't care less

Votes: 38 54.3%
  • Yes, GPL is important and tx should deliver their source code to abide to the law

Votes: 30 42.9%
  • No, TX should not have to adhere to the GPLv2 license by releasing their source code

Votes: 8 11.4%

• Total voters

luca1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
To everyone saying its hipocrisy to want to pirate games but get pissed at people making money out of other people's work, remind yourselfs that

a - pirating a multibillion dollar company is very different from stealing code from hobbyists
b - most of the developers involved don't like the fact that their work was related to piracy. Something that is breached here
c - the act of pirating something is more ethical when you share it for free. Asking money for it is way more scummy since you're basically stealing other people's work AND getting paid for it

Revard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The GPLv2 is organized into 3 sections:
Section 1 deals with reproduction and distribution of verbatim copies of the Program’s source code.
Section 2 deals with modifying the source code.
Section 3 deals with reproduction and distribution of binary code.

Not defending TX or anything, but if you take the GPLv2 license strictly:
Under a plain reading of section 2, if the licensee does not modify the original GPL-licensed program, the Modification Condition and all of its explanatory provisions in section 2 simply do not apply. That leaves sections 1 and 3, governing rights to copy and reproduce in binary or source code forms, neither of which contain any language whatsoever to the effect that merely combining independent works with GPL-licensed code renders the independent works subject to GPL as well.

Even assuming, that section 2 regulates the licensee even in the absence of modifications, the GPL's inheritance requirements in section 2 apply only to "works based on the Program".
The GPL defines a “work based on the Program” as
“any derivative work under copyright law: that is to say, a work containing the Program or a portion of it ….”
This definition can only sensibly be construed to mean derivative works as defined by applicable copyright law, and not merely collective works or compilations.
Under US law, a derivative work is defined under the US Copyright Act as a work that is:
“based upon one or more preexisting works, such as a translation, musical arrangement, dramatization, fictionalization, motion picture version, sound recording, art reproduction, abridgment, condensation, or any other form in which a work may be recast, transformed, or adapted. A work consisting of editorial revisions, annotations, elaborations, or other modifications which, as a whole, represent an original work of authorship, is a "derivative work".
"Simply combining a copyrighted work with another work does not create a derivative work. The original copyrighted work must be modified in some way. The resulting derivative work must itself 'represent an original work of authorship.' So if the licensee doesn’t modify the original GPL-licensed program, but merely runs it, he is not creating a derivative work." The Unreasonable Fear of Infection, Lawrence Rosen, 2001.
So if the new work contains the Program or a copy of it, but nothing more – no modifications, recastings or transformations of that original Program – then such work is the functional equivalent of pasting postcard art (linking GPL-licensed code) with ceramic tile (proprietary or non-GPL code).

TL;DR: As long as there are no modifications to that GPL-licensed program, TX does not have to apply GPLv2 on their work, but have to state that they used the GPL-licensed program.
Therefore I'm voting for yes and no, because if they modified it, they should abide to GPL – if not, they are OK (with GPL, not with the priacy stuff, that's another topic).
But as long as TX doesn't provide proof that they didn't modify the copied code...

Last edited by Revard,

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is a topic about a backup loader, plus this is the forum where people like to derail threads to talk about this topic.
I didn't know how to respond to this reason directly so I'll do it here. This isn't a topic about a backup loader, that part is original code and is not copied (why would Atmosphere have backup loading code in it for them to copy in the first place) The GPL argument is about the other aspects of SX OS and therefore OFF TOPIC. In fact, it's almost ridiculous to have a GPL discussion in what is basically a piracy subforum.

Reactions: Revard

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always thought people threw in that license stuff for filler to make the code look longer. Has anyone even notified tx of their blunder? I'm sure they're quite embarrassed by all of this and would be glad to rectify it but you guys have to let them know.

Dear tx,

This might surprise you etc etc.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Dabiolos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
.... TL;DR: As long as there are no modifications to that GPL-licensed program, TX does not have to apply GPLv2 on
But as long as TX doesn't provide proof that they didn't modify the copied code...

According to hex Twitter they did modify it in v1.3 (they removed the easter egg code).

I really wouldn't care if they developed it ripping Nintendo off (by using leaked SDK files...) or that they used the open source code.

It's just shitty that they didn't give proper credit at least there should be a little respect in the scene... But that's just my opinion

Shuny

I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
Is this thread a joke ? Of course breaching the GPL should be a serious offense, but we're talking about a device made to use a security flaw in a console to illegally play downloaded games. It should not surprise you that respecting the law is the last of their concern, and most of the people here are using this product solely for piracy.

Last edited by Shuny,

nyder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Truth is this doesn't matter. Most the devs don't care that much, so the only people getting butthurt and making a big deal about this is the people who decided not to buy SX Pro/OS for whatever reason and feel the need to defend their decision.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes, GPL is important and TX should either:
  • deliver their source code to abide to the law
  • replace the offending code with their own code so not to break GPL
In the one hand I would say the latter option may be a more logical choice, but in the other hand we all know they don't care that much to comply with the law anyway, so as much as it makes me respect them a little less, it won't impact their business that much... They should be more frightened due to the new fg invulnerable Switches, and of the homebrew scene which will crack their code and release a free alternative tomorrow! (/s)

Reactions: clank

kamesenin888

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, GPL is important and TX should either:
  • deliver their source code to abide to the law
  • replace the offending code with their own code so not to break GPL
In the one hand I would say the latter option may be a more logical choice, but in the other hand we all know they don't care that much to comply with the law anyway, so as much as it makes me respect them a little less, it won't impact their business that much... They should be more frightened due to the new fg invulnerable Switches, and of the homebrew scene which will crack their code and release a free alternative tomorrow! (/s)
Yes tomorrow ;);), lol and invulberable switchs are starting to go, it not only affects tx, atmosphere too if they are on 5.x+

The14thfly

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Wait so you're telling me that the pirates who made a cfw that allows you to run pirated games, didn't adhere to an open source license?

OH THE NERVE.

l915205

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Backup Loader should have Richard Stallman's Seal of Approval to touch my TB collection of perfectly legal backups.

Anything less is stealing and blasphemy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...