Grand Theft Auto 3, Vice City and San Andreas rumoured to be getting remastered

header.jpg

There have been rumblings that Rockstar may be planning to remaster the three Grand Theft Auto games from the PlayStation 2 era for a while now. They first started last month when Take-Two suddenly started issuing takedown notices for classic GTA mods, and continued when, in a Q1 2022 earnings call that they have three unannounced "new iterations of previously released titles" in the pipeline. A new report from Kotaku, who cannot name their source but insists they have reliably delivered news about GTA Online and Red Dead Online "weeks if not months in advance," gives more solid details on the remasters. No specific mention was given to gameplay, but they will apparently strive to replicate the PS2 experience as closely as possible. On the visual front, the games are being remastered in the Unreal Engine and will be a mix of "new and old graphics." The UI has been updated but will retain the same style, and one source who's seen the games says they look like a heavily-modded version of the PS2 games.

The release plans have changed quite a bit for these remasters, according to Kotaku's source. Originally they were meant to be included as a bonus for those who purchased the PS5 and Xbox Series X|S version of Grand Theft Auto V, but then they were pushed ahead to a release earlier this year, before that plan changed too. Right now, they're planned to be released in either late October or early November on the previous- and current-gen PlayStation and Xbox consoles, the Nintendo Switch, PC, Stadia, and mobile. The plan is to sell them all as one package, and they will possibly only be sold digitially. The studio is reportedly also considering a remaster of Red Dead Redemption, but will base their decision to remaster that game on the reception to the GTA remasters.

:arrow: Source

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they are REMASTERS not remakes, they wont remake the games on gtav engine, they are just pushing afew polygons and textures here and there, bumping up framerate and resolution and be done with it for sure, so yeah it wont be that different than playing a gta game on xbox series x backwards compatibility mode imo.

what you want is a remake what they say they are doing is a remaster, so yeah you are not gonna like it, no one remakes 3 games at the same time, you can easily remaster a trilogy but to remake 3 games it would take alot of time and money. and this like rumors say will be a trilogy release.they will probably just port the source code into unreal engine and modify afew hud things and main characters models and textures.
Something like this could be done, it's a possibility either they do it or not.

tpax

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
No original music, no buy. Let's at least hope that someone will patch the original music inside the Switch port.

Reactions: CoolMe

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd be down with those, but I'd like to see GTA IV and V ported as well. Since those were on PS3 and 360. I'd be happy with PS3/360 level graphics but PS4/XBONE/PC content.
The games will be made in Unreal Engine so yeah, this is a remake than a remaster.
I hope not because we've learned that just about anything made in Unreal Engine sucks ass on Switch.

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure Rockstar saw all those recent GTA 3/VC and such homebrew ports and got all mad they weren't getting paid for it, only reason this thing will exist ;O;

Not that I'm complaining TBH, 3 and VC are the two best GTA's IMO so I'll welcome modern remasters (assuming they don't fuck it all up).
I totally agree. These homebrew projects only exist because we can't get the games. I'm happy to drop money on a San Andreas remaster! I'm happy to drop all the money on that!

D

Deleted User

This is about all they can do is Remaster a bunch of games a lot of the most talented people that worked on GTA are long gone. They know GTA 6 is going to suck but people will buy it anyway, and will look at them differently but they are delaying the inevitable as long as they can because it will ruin them.

Reactions: |<roni&g

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About time they remastered the Trilogy once I had trilogy for OG XBOX and it was stolen now Finally if its true that they will remastered the trilogy. Ill make sure it will not be stolen again because it will be attached to string when it pull the shell shotgun goes off!! :rofl2:

MadMakuFuuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's just going to be the mobile ports. They did it for Xbox 360 and Playstation 3, and they'll do it again.

I just hope that Bully gets remastered as well. We never got to see the Scholarship Edition on devices other than PC, Xbox360, as well as Mobile (Anniversary Edition).

thing is.... even with mods and whatnot, The PC version of Bully suffers from glitches to inconsistent framerates, so yes, i hope to see Bully getting such treatment too, in the future.

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unreal engine seems like such an odd choice when they have their own in-house RAGE engine that has powered Bully for PC, GTAIV, RDR2, and GTA V.

Either that or some eavesdropper fucked up the terminology and they're all being ported to RAGE, which would be fantastic since it's essentially a next-gen Renderware (which was the original base engine for GTA III and VC, and was heavily modded for SA so you could have a "bubble" of the game load around you to keep resource use down while having a larger city)

Crz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure Rockstar saw all those recent GTA 3/VC and such homebrew ports and got all mad they weren't getting paid for it, only reason this thing will exist ;O;

Not that I'm complaining TBH, 3 and VC are the two best GTA's IMO so I'll welcome modern remasters (assuming they don't fuck it all up).
rip, i just bought the OG collection on steam

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://stockanalysis.com/stocks/ntdoy/market-cap/ I think they'll be alright