Rockstar has majorly cut back development on Red Dead Online to focus on the next GTA

lul.jpg

In a blog post earlier this week, Rockstar officially confirmed it will not be releasing any major updates for Red Dead Online, as it has re-allocated resources to work on the next Grand Theft Auto game.

"Over the past few years, we have been steadily moving more development resources towards the next entry in the Grand Theft Auto series — understanding more than ever the need to exceed players’ expectations and for this next entry to be the best it can possibly be — and as a result, we are in the process of making some changes to how we support Red Dead Online," begins the section of the blog about Red Dead Online.

The biggest of these changes, however, is that they will no longer be "delivering major themed content updates like in previous years," though RDO will still be supported through monthly events that showcase various game modes, new Telegram missions, special seasonal events and some balance patches.

This announcement lines up with rumours from several days before the blog post indicating that Rockstar has recently cancelled remasters of Grand Theft Auto IV and Red Dead Redemption. While Rockstar leaker Tez2 on Twitter believes they were cancelled due to the negative reception to the Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy: Definitive Edition, Kotaku has reportedly heard from their sources that they were cancelled to focus on GTA 6, and that they may be back on the table after that game launches.

:arrow: Source

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I respect them for being honest and not just staying in silence when they drop support for their games like some companies. There must be a LOT of hands on GTAVI right now if they're cancelling everything else to work on it. Doesn't rockstar have like 2,000 employees?
1999, i got fired today :tpi:

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
I guess it's just more fun to rob a bank in present times vs 150 years ago, and the market is reflecting that here with R*s decision.
It really makes sense: back then you didn't have rocket launchers, jets, sports cars, hard drugs, rap music, machine guns, and large cities or whatever else makes crime more fun these days.

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rockstar's reputation has never been lower, even during the Hot Coffee situation, people with sense could see it was not Rockstars fault/intention to leave the content accessible.

They'll put everything in to GTA 6, continue milking GTA V (and whatever they can from Red Dead). Once GTA 6 has flown the nest, they'll be hoping they're sailing high once again. After a while, they'll then float GTA IV and Red Dead "remasters".

I am very worried about the state of GTA VI. Rockstar have tried to make out how they are an understanding and appreciative corporation, the new update due soon is supposedly going to implement changes, which users have been begging for for 7 years...

Desperate to repair their image, but they are terrible now. Money whores

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish Rockstar would show more love to the off-line single player versions of both games via DLC (and tons of it). Can't stand online play! With that, can't wait for GTA 6 and RDR 3. :) Two of the best games I've ever player in my life but tipping my hat more towards the Red Dead universe.

Since Rockstar is sitting on a pile of cash sky high, why can't they hire an army of developers and crank out new versions of these games yearly? Pay top dollar for top tallent and they'll rake in even more money. They could do the Madden thing; GTA and RDR 2022, 2023, 2024, etc lol
I've long been puzzled by what Rockstar actually do?

They add very, very minimal content, as it's extremely cheap and quick to produce, but they're making very good profits too.

I still stand by my belief they'd make staggering amounts of money, from tradition, worthwhile content. But as this requires actual work/resource, it won't happen.

Where are all the staff? Making a car model for 5 months? Granted they are always working on the next project in some capacity (in this case GTA VI and others), but they produce so little, they even outsourced the poor remasters.

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suppose they realized they can't milk GTA V or GTA Online forever right? Right?
I suspect the next game will be leaning fully into the live service system to the point that the single player experience would blend in with the online systems. Think of shit like Fortnite where there is the main online game itself and the single player missions that players have to do to get XP/progress. Instead however it will be means to get new items locked behind progression elements and money (which you can bypass by using real world money!). If there is any single player story to this its going to be intertwined into this larger online system. As a result things like playing offline will not be possible nor things such as modding your game would be impossible given it will likely flag and ban you from the system itself. Things that Rockstar/T2 seem to have a vendetta with in current times. Good thing is the story might be progressive by expansion packs each and every season adding more to the game, but I am sure at the cost of paid DLC as well.

I know this is the most bleakest description of a video game concept, but given what we have seen come out of T2 in recent years its hard imagining this is something they would not try to do. The next game is going to lean deep into the GTA: O system, its why they profited off of it for so long, so why not double down on it and build the next game entirely around it from the ground up?

|<roni&g

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The casual morons who are stupid enough to spend real life money on worthless videogame money are the problem with GTA. Shark cards shouldn't of been a thing, but these fools and those idiots buy them enough that we don't get new games for years. It shouldn't of took this long for GTA6 and when it does come out there will be sharkcard bundles and garbage like that to taint it. Hoping they do like before, storymode for a few months then the online hits and hopefully there's money glitches and such like the golden 360 days

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!