Guide to use 2TB HDD/SSD on PS3

depaul

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
(All thanks to this guy: https://www.reddit.com/r/PS3/duplicates/qlf8mk/2tb_ssd_on_ps3_works_as_1525_gb/)

By default, PS3 doesn't support 2TB drives.

If you have a 2TB storage (HDD/cheap SSD) you want to use with a PS3, you can 'convert' it to 1.5TB which will work without problems with a PS3.

You have to use Linux to change drive LBA address.

"I can confirm that it works PERFECTLY on the service boot menu, it works if you ask it to restore the system, works just like a smaller drive.
You're losing 1/4th of the SSD size? Yeah. But this works reliable, works AS IT SHOULD."

"In a nutshell, what I did was:
  1. connect it directly to the SATA cable/ports on a PC (laptop or desktop)
  2. elevate yourself to root (using sudo su -)
  3. run hdparm with the parameters shown on the picture below
  4. power off your computer
  5. remove the drive, place it on your PS3, format it and have fun"

1691510877664.png

1691510890688.png

Last edited by depaul,
Reactions: HellGhast

Kibbutz90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Liechtenstein
Does this work on every ssd or only on specific models? I have a QVO 2TB and before i open it i would like to know if it work, otherwise i don't think the store will take it back if opened.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Does this work on every ssd or only on specific models?
Anything that supports HPA (host protected area), it's almost as old as ATA security so it's very common, but still nothing requires drives to support it (and it can generally be disabled via DCO if you want to)

Reactions: Kibbutz90

Kibbutz90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Liechtenstein
Anything that supports HPA (host protected area), it's almost as old as ATA security so it's very common, but still nothing requires drives to support it (and it can generally be disabled via DCO if you want to)
Thanks, i guess i have to try it to see if it really work or not right? I just checked this website https://smarthdd.com/database/Samsung-SSD-870-QVO-2TB/SVQ01B6Q/ and reading the specifics the drive support HPA so it's probably fine use it.

Last edited by Kibbutz90,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att did offer a $500gc tempting to use it for 6 months and cancel