Homebrew GW + 11.3 kills a9hl?

redunka

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Because I could agree that Gateway is shit on a lot of things (no sysNAND protection, no region+language emulation, needs a cart to boot, let's not talk about their FastBullshit...)
Wasn't Gateway actually the first CFW to have region+language emulation? :unsure:
Scene CFWs always had troubles with DLC for out of region games and some multi-lang games (which could crash or hang).
GW never had these problems, as it performs region+language emulation automatically, while for other CFWs it has to be set manually for each game.
I guess this can be considered as another thing that GW does better or more convenient than scene CFWs.
But an option to switch default language in multi-lang games has been added by GW team only recently, that's true.
That feature seems to be somewhat broken in latest releases though…

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Do you expect a noob to understand this? All the information out there currently just says don't update in Gateway sysNAND. Even noobs who inform themselves well are unlikely to know about a danger we didn't know ourselves until a week ago.
This is why I miss the early days of 3DS hacking. Back when guides were like, "Don't suck" and were like 2 paragraphs long.

Reactions: driverdis

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Wasn't Gateway actually the first CFW to have region+language emulation? :unsure:
Scene CFWs always had troubles with DLC for out of region games and some multi-lang games (which could crash or hang).
GW never had these problems, as it performs region+language emulation automatically, while for other CFWs it has to be set manually for each game.
I guess this can be considered as another thing that GW does better or more convenient than scene CFWs.
But an option to switch default language in multi-lang games has been added by GW team only recently, that's true.
That feature seems to be somewhat broken in latest releases though…
I don't mean region-free stuff only. I especially mean the fact that I can play Smash in English on a 3DS that has settings set to French (and Smash uses the 3DS's language as its language) so what you said at the end of your post.
And if GW does that, I was not aware of this, and in any case it can't be more convenient than how Luma does it (just put a txt file somewhere in the luma folder and never touch it again) (though it can be "as convenient" at least but I don't know since I was not aware of that).
And I didn't have problems with out of region games when I tried them on CFWs other than GW. I don't remember what my setup was at that point but I'm sure I played MHX online and it was not under GW (though when playing solo I used GW for cheats so I don't have to run everywhere like a fool to find the monster on a 12-area map...), and without having to setup anything special. It was probably on good ol' rxTools since it was in 2015...

redunka

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I don't mean region-free stuff only. I especially mean the fact that I can play Smash in English on a 3DS that has settings set to French (and Smash uses the 3DS's language as its language) so what you said at the end of your post.
And if GW does that, I was not aware of this, and in any case it can't be more convenient than how Luma does it (just put a txt file somewhere in the luma folder and never touch it again) (though it can be "as convenient" at least but I don't know since I was not aware of that).
And I didn't have problems with out of region games when I tried them on CFWs other than GW. I don't remember what my setup was at that point but I'm sure I played MHX online and it was not under GW (though when playing solo I used GW for cheats so I don't have to run everywhere like a fool to find the monster on a 12-area map...), and without having to setup anything special. It was probably on good ol' rxTools since it was in 2015...
I just mean that Gateway always had more than regular region-free patch for home menu.
You can probably remember, even when scene CFWs got that patch, some people had a problem when DLC for out of region titles refused to work.
There was also a problem with certain games (usually Ninty's ones) when they'd either always boot with home menu's language (for example, Japanese version of Smash booting in English), or they'd just crash because of missing files (Majora's Mask, Nintendogs, etc.).
People had to use NTR CFW with launguage emulation plugins to fix these issues, while GW users never had to do anything like that. That is convenient.
I'm not arguing with you, because you're right that GW's language switching feauture is not as convenient as CFWs'. I'm just trying to be a nerd precise here. :)
Technically, Gateway always had language emulation built in, but there just was no way to choose which exactly language to use for a long time.
GW just emulates default language for certain regions, for example, Jap game would always boot in Japanese, Euro and USA would boot in English (or, if console's region matches, in same language as home menu).
By the way, something similar can be achieved for Corbenik if use included "generate_localeemu" script, as it generates locales with default language only.
I'm sorry, I think I really shouldn't have posted anything. :blush:

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I just mean that Gateway always had more than regular region-free patch for home menu.
You can probably remember, even when scene CFWs got that patch, some people had a problem when DLC for out of region titles refused to work.
There was also a problem with certain games (usually Ninty's ones) when they'd either always boot with home menu's language (for example, Japanese version of Smash booting in English), or they'd just crash because of missing files (Majora's Mask, Nintendogs, etc.).
People had to use NTR CFW with launguage emulation plugins to fix these issues, while GW users never had to do anything like that. That is convenient.
I'm not arguing with you, because you're right that GW's language switching feauture is not as convenient as CFWs'. I'm just trying to be a nerd precise here. :)
Technically, Gateway always had language emulation built in, but there just was no way to choose which exactly language to use for a long time.
GW just emulates default language for certain regions, for example, Jap game would always boot in Japanese, Euro and USA would boot in English (or, if console's region matches, in same language as home menu).
By the way, something similar can be achieved for Corbenik if use included "generate_localeemu" script, as it generates locales with default language only.
I'm sorry, I think I really shouldn't have posted anything. :blush:
Don't worry about posting as long as it isn't shitpost :P
And I'm not contesting, I really don't remember when other CFWs had problems with out of region games. The only out of region game I played was MHX, and it didn't have DLC. Somost likely why I never got these problems but you're probably right.
And lol, if the alternative was NTR, I understand why GW was a better option... On one hand I hope that their upcoming """revolution""" is video capture (which would make sense with that "(N)" in front of "3DS" in their post). That would be redundant with NTR and would get everyone angry out there... but the less I use NTR, the happier I am. Even with BootNTR Selector (which already reduced the initial boot time from 20 seconds to 1 compared to other alternatives), it still slows down game booting and then is annoying with the fact we can't exit a title and run another one (and when you're making dev videos trying to showcase how your stuff works, sometimes you want to launch two titles...), etc. So if that's what they have, haters gonna hate, I'll still dig my Gateway card out of its grave in a blink.

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gateway has had language emulation for a while. It's one of the options in their multirom menu...

Also, I faintly remember rxTools requiring something like FreeMultiPatcher in order to run out of region games? I know it eventually got region patch but yeah.

Bonovox40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what's been discovered, is there a "safe" setup involving Luma with Gateway (for Emunand/launching .3ds files from GW's card) that can exist without bricking? Just so i'm clear, when users are saying they bricked by going into GW mode, do they mean GW emunand off the GW card or...?

I only like GW for the extra sd card storage (.3ds files) and how easy it is to drag/drop and not have to take apart my case shell to get to the internal microSD card, and wait for a .cia file to load. If there was a way to just use luma exclusively while also being able to access .3ds files off the GW card (without actually running GW's payload/launcher) that would be perfect. But wishful thinking of course... :-P

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
From what's been discovered, is there a "safe" setup involving Luma with Gateway (for Emunand/launching .3ds files from GW's card) that can exist without bricking? Just so i'm clear, when users are saying they bricked by going into GW mode, do they mean GW emunand off the GW card or...?

I only like GW for the extra sd card storage (.3ds files) and how easy it is to drag/drop and not have to take apart my case shell to get to the internal microSD card, and wait for a .cia file to load. If there was a way to just use luma exclusively while also being able to access .3ds files off the GW card (without actually running GW's payload/launcher) that would be perfect. But wishful thinking of course... :-P
Gateway emuNAND is fine, it's just sysNAND that causes the issue.

Bonovox40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gateway emuNAND is fine, it's just sysNAND that causes the issue.

So if I wanted to install luma on my primarily GW driven n3ds, and have both luma cfw (for updating to 11.3 fw) and keep my outdated GW emunand (on 11.1 I think), what do I need to do to keep from bricking it? Just have the chainloader/menuhax thing never set to boot into GW mode? What's the point of GW mode anyway? Just physical cart launching?

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So if I wanted to install luma on my primarily GW driven n3ds, and have both luma cfw (for updating to 11.3 fw) and keep my outdated GW emunand (on 11.1 I think), what do I need to do to keep from bricking it? Just have the chainloader/menuhax thing never set to boot into GW mode? What's the point of GW mode anyway? Just physical cart launching?
In that case, the end result would be 11.3 SysNAND with Luma, and the GW payload chainloaded with a keypress on boot, which would load your <11.2 EmuNAND, which you would use for .3ds games on your actual GW Red card. Most people do this without an EmuNAND now, which is resulting in these A9LH removals if they do it on 11.3 (it worked just fine up to 11.2)

Reactions: digipimp75

Bonovox40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In that case, the end result would be 11.3 SysNAND with Luma, and the GW payload chainloaded with a keypress on boot, which would load your <11.2 EmuNAND, which you would use for .3ds games on your actual GW Red card. Most people do this without an EmuNAND now, which is resulting in these A9LH removals if they do it on 11.3 (it worked just fine up to 11.2)

Right, my only fear is just not having it setup correctly, or executing a system update in the wrong location, and stripping out a9lh. Once Luma is setup, I can update as long as i'm not actively in GW mode or GW emunand right?

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Right, my only fear is just not having it setup correctly, or executing a system update in the wrong location, and stripping out a9lh. Once Luma is setup, I can update as long as i'm not actively in GW mode or GW emunand right?
Exactly. You can even update GW EmuNAND once they add support for 11.3.
The usual restrictions are:
Prior to 11.2 - updating SysNAND in GW mode removes A9LH on O3DS and BRICKS N3DS. GW usable on SysNAND as a Luma chainload as long as no updates are done from GW mode.
11.3 - just booting GW mode on an 11.3 SysNAND will remove A9LH on O3DS (and maybe brick N3DS). We still don't know if they'll fix this, since they don't recommend using GW SysNAND anyway, even with A9LH. So we may never be able to return to a SysNAND only solution. It's likely we'll have to run an EmuNAND to use GW mode in the future.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
If you're only using menuhax not a9lh you don't need to worry. Have Luma set to boot sysNAND (hold Select when starting up Luma to change the options), and Gateway will automatically boot into emuNAND when it exists.
The only point to Gateway is to use their cheat system, and launch games from the Gateway cartridge.

kamesenin888

Trophies
XP
Country
Why do people ignore the people that said that they did not lose a9lh when launching gw on updated sysnand? I've only read shit post of the three people that we need to believe, gw won't update the firm protection because they tell their users to use gw with emunand, people that dont deserve bricks and if the rumors are true lose a9lh, there is no official confirmation that they really lose it or that they updated in sysnand gw mode, even though they tell us they did not

haazet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure i understand your post, Its definitely confirmed booting the gateway mode from Luma 11.3 Sysnand over rights firm1/0 and lose al9h leaving a regular 11.3 unhackable 3DS

I'm not sure what more confirmation you need Gateway does not protect Firm1/0 that was changed.

Emunand updating only breaks Gateway mode but firm1/0 of Sysnand is safe from being changed so you al9h stays just fine

These are the obvious facts

As for why people still try to use I had 60 games from way back and transferring there's saves was a huge pain! Also installing them took a long time and needed to upgrade my internal SD. Also couldnt find some extremely niche games in CIA form like airport hero 3D and Game center CX and had to use decrypt9 to convert. But that being said I'm glad it forced me to stop using Gateway so much nicer everything on Home menu and custom GBA VC and use my ds R4 without rebooting out of gateway

https://gbatemp.net/threads/importing-gateway-saves-to-cia-games.425743/

Last edited by haazet,
Reactions: Quantumcat

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DO NOT BOOT GW PAYLOADS ON 11.3 A9LH/LUMA3DS SYSTEM!!!!!
YOU WILL LOCK YOURSELF OUT OF A9LH UNTIL 11.3 HAS BEEN BYPASSED!!!!!

Or you can GateWait for new payloads, but even that seems like a waste of time at this point.

GWemuNAND is dead. The entire Beta Program is a waste of their time.

I'm sorry, I really am. I've tried. Now I'm just frustrated.

GW should be smart and patch RedCART to boot from within Luma3DS. BlueCART works fine from Luma3DS if you load stock cart firmware. Essentially turning GWredCART into an extended .3DS cart with a built-in cheat system and GWblueCART into a GBA/DS cart. Both of which have already been replaced with emulators in Luma3DS.

Even using GWpayloads is a pain. Instead of trying to keep GWemuNAND alive and waiting for payloads to be updated, they should make a side project of making their RedCART and cheat system usable from within Luma3DS and worry about emuNAND some other day.

I really have no pity for anyone still using GWemuNAND since... well... when did A9LH happen? JKSaves is gorgeous, PKSM & PKSV have already embraced Luma3DS, so what's holding GW back? Besides sales of course...

Other forums are littered with users who used GWemuNAND and now are sitting on a dead system. It really breaks my heart to see that while I'm sitting here on A9LH/Luma doing things like using wireless file transfer on a fully updated 11.3 o3DS system.

It was bad enough when I had to load from boot into a GW boot screen, then it turned into a Quick-Load Menu screen, and now it just locks NFIRM. WTF, really? Well, there's another dead cart in my collection...

Time to give up GateWait. Luma3DS is here to stay. Ignore payloads entirely and patch the RedCART for Luma compatibility. You could even give it a nice GW logo homemenu icon and load into the game menu with all your bells and whistles.

Even PowersavesPro is dead as soon as someone develops a cheat system for .CIA's in Luma. Really, when a cheat system is released, it'll be a game changer, literally. (wouldn't be shocked if this already exists)

Either embrace a future with A9LH/Luma3DS, or surrender to the dinosaurs of emuNAND.

Tired of GateWaiting... shame on you GW.

Sky3DS/+ is even a more viable option to GW at this point. Hell, at least DSTwo+ allows o3DS users to play SNES, and then they released a SNES emulator for Luma which kind of kills the point of buying DSTwo+.

At this point, the only reason to buy these carts is to extend storage for older games. But even a 256GB mSD can sort of solve that problem. Not only can you DL the VR games, but a library of ROMs are small enough to store on an mSD and still play on Luma emu directly from SD.

Not dead yet... but if they (GW) don't hop on the band wagon, they'll become extinct.

Gonna go wirelessly delete GW payload files from SD now... what a shame.

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DO NOT BOOT GW PAYLOADS ON 11.3 A9LH/LUMA3DS SYSTEM!!!!!
YOU WILL LOCK YOURSELF OUT OF A9LH UNTIL 11.3 HAS BEEN BYPASSED!!!!!

Or you can GateWait for new payloads, but even that seems like a waste of time at this point.

GWemuNAND is dead. The entire Beta Program is a waste of their time.

I'm sorry, I really am. I've tried. Now I'm just frustrated.

GW should be smart and patch RedCART to boot from within Luma3DS. BlueCART works fine from Luma3DS if you load stock cart firmware. Essentially turning GWredCART into an extended .3DS cart with a built-in cheat system and GWblueCART into a GBA/DS cart. Both of which have already been replaced with emulators in Luma3DS.

Even using GWpayloads is a pain. Instead of trying to keep GWemuNAND alive and waiting for payloads to be updated, they should make a side project of making their RedCART and cheat system usable from within Luma3DS and worry about emuNAND some other day.

I really have no pity for anyone still using GWemuNAND since... well... when did A9LH happen? JKSaves is gorgeous, PKSM & PKSV have already embraced Luma3DS, so what's holding GW back? Besides sales of course...

Other forums are littered with users who used GWemuNAND and now are sitting on a dead system. It really breaks my heart to see that while I'm sitting here on A9LH/Luma doing things like using wireless file transfer on a fully updated 11.3 o3DS system.

It was bad enough when I had to load from boot into a GW boot screen, then it turned into a Quick-Load Menu screen, and now it just locks NFIRM. WTF, really? Well, there's another dead cart in my collection...

Time to give up GateWait. Luma3DS is here to stay. Ignore payloads entirely and patch the RedCART for Luma compatibility. You could even give it a nice GW logo homemenu icon and load into the game menu with all your bells and whistles.

Even PowersavesPro is dead as soon as someone develops a cheat system for .CIA's in Luma. Really, when a cheat system is released, it'll be a game changer, literally. (wouldn't be shocked if this already exists)

Either embrace a future with A9LH/Luma3DS, or surrender to the dinosaurs of emuNAND.

Tired of GateWaiting... shame on you GW.

Sky3DS/+ is even a more viable option to GW at this point. Hell, at least DSTwo+ allows o3DS users to play SNES, and then they released a SNES emulator for Luma which kind of kills the point of buying DSTwo+.

At this point, the only reason to buy these carts is to extend storage for older games. But even a 256GB mSD can sort of solve that problem. Not only can you DL the VR games, but a library of ROMs are small enough to store on an mSD and still play on Luma emu directly from SD.

Not dead yet... but if they (GW) don't hop on the band wagon, they'll become extinct.

Gonna go wirelessly delete GW payload files from SD now... what a shame.
you know it's not gateway emuNAND that takes off a9lh right

using emuNAND in general is probably the best thing you could've been doing at this point with gateway and a9lh and it's what they advise to do anyways

other than that, if you honestly think gateway might do that, you're just living a pipe dream. i don't know how big the Gateway Dev team is, and I don't know if people have left it over the years, but it's abundantly clear that they take pride in their work, even going so far as to call themselves "the 3DS scene". they'll probably shut down their company and burn down their warehouse/delete all their code before that ever happens.

also I should probably note that the consoles that were updated, literally three users that said it happened, did not get dead consoles as a result, just updated ones. and I mean that's not much of a problem since you have cfw and gateway to play legally dumped backups right? :)

Last edited by CreAtor135,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You are a little late to the party.
Also you seem to have your terms rather mixed up. A9LH≠Gateway nor emuNAND. A9LH is an exploit used for booting homebrew code. Gateway is a flashcart used to boot into the gatewayCFW. An emuNAND is a cloned FW written to the SD card, that basically "emulates" the sysNAND.

ManuelKoegler

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
you know it's not gateway emuNAND that takes off a9lh right

using emuNAND in general is probably the best thing you could've been doing at this point with gateway and a9lh and it's what they advise to do anyways

other than that, if you honestly think gateway might do that, you're just living a pipe dream. i don't know how big the Gateway Dev team is, and I don't know if people have left it over the years, but it's abundantly clear that they take pride in their work, even going so far as to call themselves "the 3DS scene". they'll probably shut down their company and burn down their warehouse/delete all their code before that ever happens.

also I should probably note that the consoles that were updated, literally three users that said it happened, did not get dead consoles as a result, just updated ones. and I mean that's not much of a problem since you have cfw and gateway to play legally dumped backups right? :)

You mean they take pride in stealing the work of others and claiming it as their own *cough* Gateway Fastboot *cough*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brawl345

Trophies
Website
wiidatabase.de
XP
Country
Germany
I can only repeat myself - booting the GW payload DOES NOT LOCK YOURSELF OUT OF ANYTHING! You'll only get a blackscreen, because GW is currently not compatible with 11.3. You can just restart your 3DS with Luma3DS and everything will still work.
You'll brick if you update in Gateway sysNAND ofc, because GW has no FIRM0/1 protection. But you WON'T brick if you just boot the payload.

Reactions: BADDINOROX99

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vKQN3UiNNHY?si=fP6ZlFe-DhQf9SW7