PS1/2 Hacking PS2 SCPH-79001

I WILL BE USING FREE MCBOOT! DO YOU AGREE?!

• AYE!

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • NAY!

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use ESR with FreeMCBoot. It works perfectly for the games I tried.
Which are Kingdom hearts 2, Kingdom Hearts RE:Chain of Memory, God of War, GTA San Andreas, Avatar, burnout revenge, and all the games I have.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
MFDC12 said:
ShadowSoldier said:
...My old PS2 slim died out of the blue, so no matter if I have it hacked or not, it's going to die, I think they're able to be replaced though.

One thing I'm curious, if I do use Free McBoot, can I run games from a HDD? Like I have a 500gb USB HDD... can I run games off of that?

You can but i remember reading that usb is not recommended since it is only 1.1mb/s and games lag. Maybe someone else can shed light on this? I havent tried it out at all

Yep, it's insanely slow. Network loading is a better option and a little faster.

With Free McBoot + FAT ps2 + network adapter, you can load games with a good compatiblity from an internal HDD with lesser loading times than using retail discs. I'd say that's the best overall option for ps2 backups, but you said that fat ps2s are *******.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For GODSAKES..

Okay, I'm making a poll, one with Free McBoot, and another option, but you guys are speaking circles around me, so whats the other option I should add.

You guys are speaking to a ridiculous noob at ps2 hacking.

megafanzero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are wondering, freemcboot is sort of the equivalent to homebrew channel on the wii.

But my suggestion to you is...
Install freemcboot.
Add ps2 game loader of choice.
Play games.

I suggest using 'open ps2 loader v0.8'.
Runs games off of usb/hdd [even 1gb usb sticks], network, and can even load it straight from iso files, no need for converting.
Now I run games off of my fat32 partition that I use for ps2/wii with ease.
BUT fmvs, loading times SUFFER.
I think it uses usb 1.1 or something, but it's slow.
You're better off loading it off....
1) network [via Ethernet plug in the back of the slim ps2]
2) disk
3) fat ps2 w/hdd

And if you are wondering, my 14 year old brother installed freemcboot using the 007 swap disk trick.
He has never done any modifications to any console EVER and all he did was read guides off of the interwebs, so it should be simple.

He used this link.
freemcboot

If you don't feel like doing ANY modifications to the ps2 and feel like spending a reasonable amount of money, buy a memor32 card, install homebrew that way. No modifications to your ps2 at all.

tl;dr easy and anyone can do it = freemcboot or memor32 if you have the cash.

BasedKiliK

Salt of the Earth~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^^^ What he said.

And ESR is an app that let's you run DVD discs patched to DVDVIDEO format on unmodified PS2s; you basically patch an ISO, then burn and play. And since you've got a slim, it would be the best way for you. Unless you plan to try network loading, which is slower but not NEARLY as bad as USB on PS2.

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
FreeMCBoot and ESR are the way to go if you have a slim.
FreeMCBoot and HardDrive Loader are the way to go if you have a fatty.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Stop trying to make on my cakes