Official hakchi2 - NES Mini very simple pimp tool

Crazystato

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I still can't see why people can't wait a week for @Cluster to release something. He have spent slot of time and effort with the help of others creating this awsome program, now his thread has been hijacked with (no offence) all these quick hack jobs floating around thst could potentially brick your device. Wait for the real deal. You have 21 games to play already!

Last edited by Crazystato,

rhester72

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright - will try it without the filter first. If it still glitches, I'll try the original ROM (i.e. not the VC version with digital audio samples). From what I've seen from the actual emulator thus far, I find it pretty hard to believe the glitch is caused by the emulation itself, but we shall see.

OK - I *seriously* suck at platformers.

Would someone who can reproduce this glitch please do the following?

- Reproduce it, create a save state at the point it's obviously glitched
- Use this Hakchi (http://www.rendezvo.us/snes/hakchi2-git-20171004.zip) via Tools/Save-State Manager to export the save state
- Tell me where to download it :)

jelmer

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Yea. Was a nice pooling of knowledge to help reverse engineer the SNESC so a proper hack could be made. But now has devolved into people wanting to play games on their systems asap! =(
I didn’t install the hack but I find it interesting to know which games run and which don’t. Exciting to know that SFX seems to run as well as the Mega Man X series. I can live without SFA2.

Reactions: flinto

Baggins

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea. Was a nice pooling of knowledge to help reverse engineer the SNESC so a proper hack could be made. But now has devolved into people wanting to play games on their systems asap! =(

My advice keep the pooling of data to a separate private discussion?
In a way they are beta testing, not such a bad thing.
It's not beta testing if its not actually CLuster's Hackch2 worki....

Unless he's specifically using their data within his work.

pcm720

Trophies
Website
pcm720.me
XP
Country
Russia
Look im getting tired of these brick statements. How do you brick the device its android and very easy to restore. I want to play games now so I fixed it up. I guess i could of just kept it for myself and play all snes games. But I wanted people to have it now if they wanted.

NES Mini and SNES Mini run pure Linux, not Android. You're right about "easy to restore" though.
If you have your NAND/kernel dump.

rhester72

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not beta testing if its not actually CLuster's Hackch2 worki....

Unless he's specifically using their data within his work.

You surely realize it's a collaborative effort?

Cluster didn't even create the hack, he wrote a wrapper for it before then greatly expanding on the functionality.

Many dozens of people, exchanging information in threads just like this one, brought Hakchi2 to life and continue to move it forward.

TonyBiH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I have tons of patience of course I will wait. I must wait even if I don't want. Due to job I don't have time or plans to travel so I must wait my SNES Mini until Christmas when my sister comes. Luckily she bought me the SNES Classic Mini in Sweden, and also last time NES Classic Mini. In my country it's hard to find NINTENDO products if is not mainstream console. What appears later is likely to be a Chinese copy sold by the resellers for a full price here and I don't wan't that anymore. Unfortunately, I grew up playing FAMICLONE/NES called Sega Mega Drive 2 although it was not Sega sold on flea market.

blueflash

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I still can't see why people can't wait a week for @Cluster to release something. He have spent slot of time and effort with the help of others creating this awsome program, now his thread has been hijacked with (no offence) all these quick hack jobs floating around thst could potentially brick your device. Wait for the real deal. You have 21 games to play already!
Cluster released hakchi which enables ftp and telnet access on nes & snes classics.

So you can convert majority of roms and play.

A lot of devs now trying work out preset headers to enable the tricky games to run.

Those that want wait for cluster should wsit and leave the other devs to try suss the presets. Which sure will only help in future updates

But yes thread is going very Random at times in old Bag End

Last edited by blueflash,

vanditr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rev2k7 is the real deal!! This was as easy as uploading games to the nes mini just make sure your games are .sfrom, thanks again Rev2k7!!!

Reactions: blueflash

DarkAkuma

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's probably the case. Square Enix/Nintendo probably just did something similar to what Neviksti did with his SO hack, and just decompressed the graphics data and hack loaded them rather than bothering to properly emulate the SDD-1 chip.

So those 2 will probably end up being retroarch/snes9x games. Unless we can figure out how to get canoe to load the 12MB SO hack. SFA2 never got such a hack though, last I checked.

At the very least, SDD-1 games are a lost cause in trying to help figure out those preset ids.

I guess I didn't give up quite yet after all. Still no success running it, but I did find what i believe to be the real footer of the SFA2 WiiU VC ROM.

footer:
0x005BF6B0 | 3C 00 00 40 00 E0 ED 1B 00 40 02 00 00 DF 10 02
0x005BF6C0 | A5 00 00 01 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
0x005BF6D0 | 80 F0 5B 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

From there I tried the now larger extracted ROM, tried adding 0xDF10 to the python script generated ROM, and even tried changing the 2 bytes at the chip id address to 0x0001. All result in an immediate C7 error on load. =(

Reactions: flinto

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You surely realize it's a collaborative effort?

Cluster didn't even create the hack, he wrote a wrapper for it before then greatly expanding on the functionality.

Many dozens of people, exchanging information in threads just like this one, brought Hakchi2 to life and continue to move it forward.

With each passing guide (or lack thereof) less user friendly than the last. Seriously, there should at least be a video if there are gonna be people attempting this before the official release. See with a video tutorial, at least people know what to go off of.

Having to manually change the headers using hex editors in each ROM file doesn't seem very user friendly to me.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

pcm720

Trophies
Website
pcm720.me
XP
Country
Russia
I guess I didn't give up quite yet after all. Still no success running it, but I did find what i believe to be the real footer of the SFA2 WiiU VC ROM.

footer:
0x005BF6B0 | 3C 00 00 40 00 E0 ED 1B 00 40 02 00 00 DF 10 02
0x005BF6C0 | A5 00 00 01 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
0x005BF6D0 | 80 F0 5B 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

From there I tried the now larger extracted ROM, tried adding 0xDF10 to the python script generated ROM, and even tried changing the 2 bytes at the chip id address to 0x0001. All result in an immediate C7 error on load. =(

You don't have to find anything, really. Header offset 0x14 should point straight to the footer. Everything after the footer is S-DD1 data.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @The Real Jdbye, stop pooping in public