Hands on with my first gaming phone - a week with the Red Magic 5S

majik.png

Just a few years ago, I laughed at the idea of a gaming phone. I still remember when the first Razer Phone was announced, and all I could wonder is who it was aimed at. Who would spend so much money on a device focused on a need that just didn’t seem to exist. Roll on 2020 and here I am, garish phone in hand; did the market change, or did I?

IMG_20201017_201636841.jpg

Red Magic's boxes always find a way to stand out.

The Red Magic 5S is Nubia’s latest gaming phone, acting as a somewhat incremental update from their early 2020 Red Magic 5G. Featuring a 144hz screen, shoulder triggers, an internal fan for cooling, and a lavishly over the top design, it’s a brilliantly unique phone in a sea of monotone bricks. Unfortunately missing out on the Snapdragon 865+, Nubia opted to use the basic 865 as the backbone of the device. It’s a bit of a shame to see the latest model not sport the latest processor; my best guess as to why this is would be as a way of keeping costs down, but this is just speculation. In reality, the 865 is enough to deliver incredible performance on everything I want to use the phone for.

Before diving into gaming, it’s worth taking a look at the phone as a whole. It’s stunning. Opting for the more expensive “Pulse” model, the 5S comes packed with 12 GB of LPDDR5 RAM, and 256 GB of UFS 3.1 storage. The more muted silver model by comparison has 8 GB of RAM, and 128 GB of storage. Both designs look lavish, so it’s a shame to see the better specs locked to the red and blue design. While I am incredibly fond of it myself, I understand it’d be a bit much for some to use as their daily driver, and with both models lacking expandable storage options, you might find that 128 GB of internal storage filling quickly.

IMG_20201017_201436741.jpg

The red and blue Pulse design is striking.

Booting the phone for the first time is a fairly standard Android experience. Nubia opting to stick with a very vanilla feel, there’s no over the top skin forced on you–at least not in daily use. Looking to the left side of the phone, you’ll find a red hardware switch. Where some phones make use of these switches to toggle mute or auto-rotate settings, this one is locked into opening the phone’s hot gaming mode. Going into this gives you easy access to many of the phone’s unique features. There’s a few quality of life things like blocking calls and messages while playing games, which might be particularly handy for people who enjoy recording their gameplay. On top of this, you can enable or disable the phone’s fancy internal fan, switch between 60, 90, and 144hz for the refresh rate, enable “4D shock” in certain games, and even map areas of the screen to the touch shoulder buttons on the phone. The phone also treats you to some live information on your CPU, GPU, and network speeds. There’s a lot to like here, but it’s not without fault. You’ll find the menus littered with odd translations, minor spelling mistakes, and a few outright quirks. It’s nothing that will really ruin the phone for you, but it does take away from the otherwise premium feel of the device.

Screenshot_2020-10-17-20-24-02-063.png Screenshot_2020-10-17-20-24-06-624.png
Screenshot_2020-10-17-20-24-22-971.png Screenshot_2020-10-17-20-24-30-258.png Screenshot_2020-10-17-20-24-40-638.png

One of the nice features on offer is the ability to record and play macros. On other phones, I’ve had to rely on apps like FRep, and while they work fine, it’s great to have this functionality as standard. It’s as simple as hitting record and doing what I want saved. For things like Hero Merit farming in Fire Emblem Heroes, it’s a blessing. Another thing to note is that all settings are stored on a per-app basis, so if you configure your shoulder buttons in a certain way for one game, you won’t be faffing about to get them how you like them every time you switch to something else.

IMG_20201011_220740607.jpg

The Pro Handle really does make it into a mini Switch.

Should you decide to invest in the accessories, there's also a few neat options on offer, the most significant of these coming in the form of the Pro Handle. Put simply, the Pro Handle is a special case for the phone that has a rail on each side, allowing you to mount Nubia’s take on a Joy-Con to each side. With two controllers, you have access to an incredible gaming experience, albeit not quite as convenient as Sony’s Xperia Play design–but really what has ever been as good as that design? When in the gaming mode, you can configure these controllers the same way as the shoulder buttons, mapping them to areas of the screen. For games like Genshin Impact, I’ve found myself just using the left controller for its analogue movement, and using my right hand for camera panning and hitting attack buttons. With these configurations saving from game to game, you can really go to town with how you set them up. For better or worse, however, you can only use these controllers like this while in gaming mode; they must be mapped to an area of the screen. When not in gaming mode, however, they function as standard Bluetooth controllers, though again with some limitations. In fairness, the limitation is less a design fault of Nubia’s, and more the apps you might be using them with: they are two individual controllers. With many emulators, they just won’t work right. Some emulators will only let you configure one controller, and others will detect them both as the same controller, essentially giving you access to half of the available buttons. While some apps like Dolphin do work properly with both controllers together, I’m fairly sure this is an exception more than it is the norm.

Screenshot_DraStic_2020-10-17-20-28-02-096.png

Screenshot_2020-10-17-20-26-43-765.png Screenshot_M64Plus FZ_2020-10-17-20-29-36-232.png

For emulation, you have to get a little crafty. What I ended up doing was bunching all the on-screen buttons into one corner, and configuring the controllers to hit them. After that, I set the button transparency to 0%, and voila! You have a somewhat awkward workaround! This setup has been my saviour for apps like Mupen64, Drastic, and PPSSPP, allowing me to use a comfortable and convenient controller where I was worried it simply wouldn’t be possible. It’s a good job too, because this phone is capable of playing pretty much everything I’ve thrown at it.

Other reviews I’ve seen online seem to focus on its performance with Fortnite, PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds, and Call of Duty Mobile, and while it performs admirably with each of these, they aren’t exactly where my interests lie. I bought this phone for two reasons: to play Genshin Impact on the go, and to achieve a long-standing dream of playing New Super Mario Bros. Wii from a mobile device. It does both of these things and more.

Screenshot_Genshin Impact_2020-10-17-20-34-05-358.png

Screenshot_Genshin Impact_2020-10-17-20-33-51-471.png Screenshot_Genshin Impact_2020-10-17-20-32-50-348.png Screenshot_Genshin Impact_2020-10-17-20-32-37-738.png

The hot kid on the block, Genshin Impact runs flawlessly on its highest settings. It looks incredible, and paired with the Pro Handle, it feels incredible too. With mobile gaming, my biggest issue has always been using touch-based analogue sticks. With no physical boundaries to feel, I’m constantly overextending and pulling my thumbs into uncomfortable positions. Being able to use a physical analogue stick really is a blessing, and the shoulder button on the right of the device has proved itself handy too. A somewhat simple setup, I have it mapped to somewhere near the middle of the screen, where prompts appear. What this means is that I can just keep hitting that to open chests, pickup items, and engage in simple dialogue. The only real disappointment is that the game is only capable of going to 60 FPS, leaving the phone’s 144hz display underutilised.

Looking to emulation, it’s handled everything I’ve thrown at it admirably. DS games I play with filters and high resolution 3D rendering, N64 games I play with the highest available resolution, and on PPSSPP I’ve found no issues playing Monster Hunter: Freedom Unite with 4x rendering resolution and 16x anisotropic filtering. It’s all flawless on this pocket prince. But what of Dolphin? What of my dreams to play one of the best Mario games on the go? I can say they are dreams no longer. I get a comfortable 60 FPS playing it and I couldn’t be happier. The vast majority of the games I’ve tried perform similarly also; from Wind Waker to Xenoblade Chronicles, the device doesn’t struggle at all, even running perfectly at 3x internal resolution for some GameCube games. It’s my go-to device to enjoy a Wind Waker randomiser. The only game I tried that the device struggled on was, quite surprisingly, Fortune Street, a party board game from Square Enix. It baffles me how it can run so poorly when the likes of Xenoblade have no issues, but I have no doubt there’s some unusual quirk to explain it somewhere.

Having used the phone for just over a week now, I really couldn’t be happier. It’s a marvellous device capable of more than I could have ever anticipated, and if we see more games like Genshin Impact gracing the mobile shores, it’s a device I’ll only be having more fun with down the line. I’m currently in the process of writing a more formal review, complete with video showcases of emulation quality and native app performance. Is there anything you want me to try, or any questions you want answering? Be sure to leave a reply, and I’ll try my best to tailor the review to what people want to know.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Well I can attest to the Dolphin performance. Was playing Wind Waker today lol. Should have some performance videos when I do the full review.
I've seen the 865 do Dolphin flawlessly, so I'm sure it runs perfectly, and probably with boosted graphics. (I wonder if custom texture packs can even be done, too) but for the life of me, it doesn't work on an 855, which is crazy.

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I can tell you that I can never get into mobile gaming due to the touch screen focus.
Bluetooth controllers aren't an option for me either, just another thing to carry and most likely lose on the long run.

Also, I want my phone to be a phone, you know? Make and receive calls/get in contact with people.
The battery life should be big to support that. It's a communication device.

Mobile gaming to me comes down to Sudoku/Killer Sudoku and things like that, which are adequate to a touch input experience, where thinking is more important than reacting/touching, as it improves battery life and do not suffer from input issues.

IMHO, a true gaming "phone" should be focused on gaming, and gaming alone: with physical buttons and no phone capabilities built-in, those should be optional.

What we have now is just games made for another OS (Android), just like a PC, but without the needed (Built-in) peripherals to make for a great experience. It's like a beefed up DS without buttons. And games NEED physical buttons, especially action games. We need that feedback from input, and the viewport to be clear.

On that note, those phones are getting stupid high specs, leagues better than many "recent" (3 years old+) PCs.
It's kinda scary that a Samsung S20 Ultra is better than more than 99% of the PCs we use in my workplace.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool phone, but honestly, outside of emulation, It would just be better to get a Switch, 3DS, Vita, Etc. I don't know what the price of the phone is, but i'm *pretty* sure it's more expensive then all of these. Nice post though!

It's a pain to mod the Switch, firmware isn't permanent and pretty much sets it up for ban risks. It's easier to use this phone for emulation and doesn't require the use of a jig. What advantage does Switch have over this?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When a phone has a better screen than your PC...

Doubt I will get one for myself or otherwise feel compelled towards having a mobile phone but it is stuff like this that makes me consider it.

You did hear yourself right? Gaming phone ... that will never be taken seriously.
Thats is why there are handhelds. Which offer way more game wise (beside emulation)
How many people have a standalone camera, standalone music player, standalone video player or in some cases cart a laptop around where they once might have?

I don't know why crack is seemingly so popular among those designing and/or authorising designs on phones that we have not seen a phone blow other things out of the water but it seems far from a technical infeasibility.

Also, I want my phone to be a phone, you know? Make and receive calls/get in contact with people.

Judging by most people I meet these days you might be in a smaller group. Call someone these days and unless the call results in them having to bring a shovel, bring a mop and bucket, bring a rifle, or in some super fun cases then all three, you have seemingly committed something of a social faux pas.

Reactions: Cortador

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
www.nintendoreporters.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
How many people have a standalone camera, standalone music player, standalone video player or in some cases cart a laptop around where they once might have?

I get where you are coming from dont get me wrong there.
As for music / video, sure I use my phone or tablet for that a lot.

I am glad you mentioned camera, as being a semi professional photographer with well let's just say not so cheap equipment I can not really take anyone who 'photographs' with a phone serious. Then again it all depends on the situation.
But would someone consider themselves a real photographer if they used only a phone?
If so more power to them but I personally classify that differently.

Back to phone-gaming;
I personally just don't consider gaming on a phone 'proper' gaming. Perhaps I am simply old fashioned in that regard. Perhaps it's because I did not really grow up with phones as my first way to game. I dont know. Perhaps it's a generation thing.

PS: Im NOT bashing anyone for either their available options, preference or what so ever.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I get where you are coming from dont get me wrong there.
As for music / video, sure I use my phone or tablet for that a lot.

I am glad you mentioned camera, as being a semi professional photographer with well let's just say not so cheap equipment I can not really take anyone who 'photographs' with a phone serious. Then again it all depends on the situation.
But would someone consider themselves a real photographer if they used only a phone?
If so more power to them but I personally classify that differently.

Back to phone-gaming;
I personally just don't consider gaming on a phone 'proper' gaming. Perhaps I am simply old fashioned in that regard. Perhaps it's because I did not really grow up with phones as my first way to game. I dont know. Perhaps it's a generation thing.

PS: Im NOT bashing anyone for either their available options, preference or what so ever.

Is anybody going to take nice night shots, clubs and night festivals with a phone camera? Probably not.
Is anybody going to do anything that might need a big boy telephoto lens? Again probably not.

I saw the results of some of Sony's efforts with cameras on their phones a few years ago. If you are doing pretty nice (never mind serious sunlight or light box) macro to "hard to hold it on item by hand alone" distances then yeah I would see a phone as a viable alternative in that case. Resolution, colours, settings options... there in spades if you want it. You can even shoot in RAW/dng with such things if you wanted.

Weddings, brochures, historical events, current events, high end production (play to the limitations and you can use it, and what else is lighting when you are doing a film?), low end production... all done loads and have been for years.

The limitations at the start are unlikely to be a physical limits issue. Sensors and lenses will eventually equal anything we have today (and be able to attach a telephoto lens if the need arises), though I am sure once such a thing happens the extra space available for those still wanting a "conventional" camera will make them even more impressive (as it stands we have had cameras with better low light than human eyes for a while now).

Back on gaming. Would I suggest someone pick up a phone as a means to learn gaming (give or take emulation anyway) or experience a decent enough slice* to serve as a current example? Not really. That seems to be more an implementation issue than a practical limitation (are phones that functionally different than say a GBA, PSP or DS?). I am stunned it has not happened before now, not least of all because those that made the GBA and DS what they were all seemed to wander into phones after they left such things. Emulation would also be an interesting aspect to this as well -- if I can emulate a "real" game on such a device then I can surely do better on it if I did not have the overhead of emulation. At that point you are just after some half decent coders and maybe a common API for a controller.

*time was if you were not into arcades you weren't into gaming, PC has not always been a thing in gaming and since about the xbox through to almost today the consoles have at least been able to do something like be representative of where gaming is at and what its edges might be.

Reactions: PatrickD85

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
www.nintendoreporters.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Is anybody going to take nice night shots, clubs and night festivals with a phone camera? Probably not.

You would be amazed at what actually happens in that regard. Shooting photo's in that exact niche has long time (roughly 20ish years) been something I 'lived' in. I've seen the casual grow from the basic pocket cams to SLRs to DLSRS etc. And sure it all depends on people with what they really get / make it. (let's not even get started on what post editing can mean in that regard)

But also the ... wow ... a dutch word which I find hard to properly translate ... ehh it should be something like bizar / uncontrolled growth (we call it 'wildgroei').

So ehh yeah; the uncontrolled growth of number of photographers, all with various sets of equipment. And I kid you not there are people who go as far as to claim ... my phone can shoot better pictures then [enter any DSLR here]. And it could be true but it all depends on the who (skilled / non skilled photographer for example) combined with the what (type of equipment).

Is anybody going to do anything that might need a big boy telephoto lens? Again probably not.

Well yes there are. Perhaps I could even fall in this category to some degree.
For a quick example; on festivals I would be the guy chlling somewhere off-limits (on stage/ back stage etc) trying to get those 'unaware' shots of people interacting, dancing and so on These often are way more fun to shoot then the obvious group shot because they show people just being people ... and not 'staged'.

-----

But and that is my point; there is a market for anything and everything. That also applies to gaming it seems.
All I am saying is; everybody can view what they call gaming or photographing differently.

Will gaming move more to phones; I personally hope not.
But then again; if it does; good for the people who enjoy that. I will be elsewhere (on consoles).

xdarkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Never mind headphones, they barely put headphone jacks on your phones nowadays lol

We can all thank Apple for that. I won't though. Screw Apple. :)

It’s interesting to see so many people skeptical of a gaming phone.

Is that due to the fact that the tagline of “gaming“ is considered a joke, or is it because there’s a lot of disdain here for mobile gaming? It’s curious.

For me, I'm not saying you can't play games on your phone, but more like the idea of gaming phone sounds weird namely a phone mostly dedicated to playing mobile games (at least that's what I think of when I hear gaming phone). Besides emulations, most of the mobile games (mostly f2p ones) don't require much to play. Most of the mid tier phones should be able to handle most of the games out there, and you can pretty much play most of the games without the need of physical buttons.

D

Deleted User

the thing stopping phones from being great gaming devices is the lack of titles, not raw power, there are probably like 10 or 20 good phone games, and they are all ports, a few more if you count nvidia ports, but those either require you buying a shield or pirating

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

accessories, not connected. I can throw controller attachments on my phone now.
precisely, since they are an accessory and not atached, developers will feel less inclined to use them in their games

It ain't gaming phone unless it has dedicated game-pad like Xperia PLAY had.
That is one true gaming phone.

P.S. Please do tell me how i can use BT controllers...but it's just another thing i need to carry.

The one and only gaming phone, as far as i'm concerned.
Til they make it with a controller all in one, that's how this will be for me.
dims
a new xperia phone with either heavily customized android (like the shield) or a new os would be great

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
If that accessory (sold seperately) is turning the phone into a gaming phone, you can call pretty much any other phone a gaming phone as long as it has decent performance. I got multiple of those phone controllers and none of them made me use my phone for gaming the way I'd use a handheld console. Instead, they just collect dust.
I guess by this logic, the Switch is just a tablet?

Looking at a lot of these comments, most of it is just gatekeeping. That's just sad..

Last edited by Kioku,
Reactions: banjo2
D

Deleted User

I guess by this logic, the Switch is just a tablet?

Looking at a lot of these comments, most of it is just gatekeeping. That's just sad..
Joycon are included with every switch, as such, developers implement them in games

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

You would be amazed at what actually happens in that regard. Shooting photo's in that exact niche has long time (roughly 20ish years) been something I 'lived' in. I've seen the casual grow from the basic pocket cams to SLRs to DLSRS etc. And sure it all depends on people with what they really get / make it. (let's not even get started on what post editing can mean in that regard)

But also the ... wow ... a dutch word which I find hard to properly translate ... ehh it should be something like bizar / uncontrolled growth (we call it 'wildgroei').

So ehh yeah; the uncontrolled growth of number of photographers, all with various sets of equipment. And I kid you not there are people who go as far as to claim ... my phone can shoot better pictures then [enter any DSLR here]. And it could be true but it all depends on the who (skilled / non skilled photographer for example) combined with the what (type of equipment).

Well yes there are. Perhaps I could even fall in this category to some degree.
For a quick example; on festivals I would be the guy chlling somewhere off-limits (on stage/ back stage etc) trying to get those 'unaware' shots of people interacting, dancing and so on These often are way more fun to shoot then the obvious group shot because they show people just being people ... and not 'staged'.

-----

But and that is my point; there is a market for anything and everything. That also applies to gaming it seems.
All I am saying is; everybody can view what they call gaming or photographing differently.

Will gaming move more to phones; I personally hope not.
But then again; if it does; good for the people who enjoy that. I will be elsewhere (on consoles).

If gaming does move to phones I hope it functions as it does today on my GBA, DS, PSP or the like (or even better because more power).
I see no technological impediment to it (they are fairly potent devices with screens, not much to mess up there), just a lack of desire on the part of game makers to sit down and do it. Don't know if they are distracted by the mountains of cash they imagine charging people for lives in a game will bring in or what but again if I can emulate a real game I can certainly have a native one.

As far as concerts. I have been around to see the transition of lighters in the air to a sea of phone screens. Not sure where things were going with that though.

On skills of operator.
Not seeing it. Autofocus, auto balance, auto iso, modern colour profiles... you can still fail but as long as you point it in the right direction at the right time (and even then all those phones advertised on TV seem to be more video cameras of silly resolution such that you can even rewind to pick the best frame and call that a photo) you are probably going to get something you can work with out of a phone.
Would I trust or rate the chances of such a person to use an early DSLR? Tell me about the rule of thirds? Choose film stock for a proper camera? Use nice flash powder and all the really fun chemical developers? Not at all, though would you rate your chances with nice silver plate chemicals here?

We can do it for most things when tech arrives to make previously difficult things far easier or render what was once a profession into the hands of an amateur. I have examples of that going back hundreds of years (my favourite being the story of lathes, as in the things that spin and you remove material, when the metal lathe carriage was invented).

Reactions: Deleted User

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada

Is that due to the fact that the tagline of “gaming“ is considered a joke, or is it because there’s a lot of disdain here for mobile gaming? It’s curious.
For me, it's because gaming on a phone, other than the extremely casual "touch to physically move an object from one place to the next" games, just doesn't work for me on a touch screen. Three main problems that wrap around the issue of not being able to feel and press actual buttons:

1. I've lost the button. For the first 30 seconds you're pressing the right buttons, but because you can't feel where they are, your thumbs start slipping and you're suddenly no longer pressing the intended buttons. You can moving your thumbs around for a few seconds until your character starts doing the right thing, or you look down to the controls and re-establish where your thumbs are supposed to be. Repeat this several times for even a few minutes and, my god, it's annoying.

2. Am I actually pressing the button? No physical feeling of a button being pressed means sometimes the button apparently isn't pressed if I didn't actually touch the screen properly or not. Games will try to alleviate this with some sort of minor rumble, but that can also get annoying, especially if it's a game that requires a lot of action.

3. I have big thumbs. My thumb, and to an extent, the base of my thumb is covering up a portion of the game. On top of that, depending on the size of the touch controls, it's the difference of leaning my thumb a slight angle over that presses a whole new button unintentionally. Emulators are a no go for here, because in order to customize the controls big enough so I can press the buttons properly enough, the game itself is going to be so tiny.

Additional shout-outs tooooo:

- L & R buttons in games, emulators and mobile-made games. They're meant to be shoulder buttons, you're already holding your phone, and now you have to try to awkwardly hold up your phone and push buttons with your thumbs while pressing these buttons near the top of your phone with your fingers, and suddenly I get nightmare flashbacks of cramping from the days of playing Mario Kart DS.

- Muting your phone speakers. Generally you play mobile games in landscape mode, and phones aren't generally built to have the speaker on the sides of the phone in portrait, but the top and/or bottom, so gripping your phone means your sound got a lot lower.

- Bluetooth controllers. They've made strides in reducing latency, and the Bluetooth V5 controllers are awesome, and I've found virtually no lag. Buuuuut I have to use the speakers of the phone, because using bluetooth headphones while using the controller means there's sound lag - horrible experience when playing a game, especially if you're an audiophile like myself. There's a work-around - find a phone that still has a headphone port and use wired headphones, which is a solution. But getting harder to do that solution as more phones are omitting the headphone jack.

- A necessity to enable certain developers to craft games meant for serious gamers. There are developers doing this, but maybe not enough to start setting off a market that hardware manufacturers of phones need to see in order to produce actual gaming phones addressing the above (AKA, SONY PLEASE MAKE AN XPERIA PLAY SEQUEL, OR EVEN BETTER, ONE OF THE OTHER MORE CAPABLE COMPANIES MAKE IT HAPPEN). When Nintendo first announced they were making mobile games, I thought we'd be seeing some awesome games that were only slightly gypped and hindered versions of their platformers, or RPGs, or other less-casual gameplay types of games. But instead we got the usual automatic runners, sim-like games and the mobile games every one is accustomed to associating with "mobile gaming," just with Nintendo skins on them. Yeah, I am wrong for assuming and hoping they wouldn't go that way, and I don't even blame them, it's the mentality. If we could break away from the mentality with proper hardware on a phone, we could make it happen!

D

Deleted User

just the lack of quality tittles, and lack of integrated controls (no, a bluetooth controller is not the same), plus, the disadvantages of android, a true gaming phone should have a gaming focused os

- A necessity to enable certain developers to craft games meant for serious gamers. There are developers doing this, but maybe not enough to start setting off a market that hardware manufacturers of phones need to see in order to produce actual gaming phones addressing the above (AKA, SONY PLEASE MAKE AN XPERIA PLAY SEQUEL, OR EVEN BETTER, ONE OF THE OTHER MORE CAPABLE COMPANIES MAKE IT HAPPEN). When Nintendo first announced they were making mobile games, I thought we'd be seeing some awesome games that were only slightly gypped and hindered versions of their platformers, or RPGs, or other less-casual gameplay types of games. But instead we got the usual automatic runners, sim-like games and the mobile games every one is accustomed to associating with "mobile gaming," just with Nintendo skins on them. Yeah, I am wrong for assuming and hoping they wouldn't go that way, and I don't even blame them, it's the mentality. If we could break away from the mentality with proper hardware on a phone, we could make it happen!
Shield phone when?

D

Deleted User

Emulation looks ok, what about the battery ?

For the price of a GPD Win 2, you gain phone capabilities at the expense of your steam library. :unsure:
Well, to each their own. 4G/5G will help streaming PS Now/Xbox remote, that's the only selling point I see.

I'll stick to arkham knight on the go, those last militia strongholds are giving me a hard time.:yaysp:

Last edited by ,

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I have a Black Shark 3 (12GB/256GB), similar specs, similar phone.

When buying my phone I opted for Black Shark against Red Magic due to the cooling. Red Magic can be a bit loud, and it's extremely bad with liquids due to the openings on the side.

Reactions: Scarlet

Scarlet

Onion Soup
OP
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Black Shark 3 (12GB/256GB), similar specs, similar phone.

When buying my phone I opted for Black Shark against Red Magic due to the cooling. Red Magic can be a bit loud, and it's extremely bad with liquids due to the openings on the side.
I haven't found it to be all that loud myself, but in a quiet room I suppose you would notice it. Water resistance is a fair criticism too lol

How do you find the Black Shark?

Reactions: Skelletonike

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpxvzFnWCu0