Have you ever met a 100 year old?

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not just meet but went to her 100th birthday ówo)/
she was the mom of one of my mother's friends, now she passed, but was very good person as I knew her o3o

" forever" like nothing and make you die , or if you decide it's enough to end your own ? hahah
Idk must me interesting and sad at the same time... a lot to see and being able to do twice! a lot of people, see how stuf develops, HELP them to develop! wow *w*
but that point like if the eart explodes you gonna be floating forever in the universe bored until forever or idk xD

and you? what do you think?
I would never want to live forever, because the older you get, the more you age, meaning the more painful your day-to-day life, and you will never be 'put out of this misery. Personally, I would never want to live forever, but I would be all for stopping aging, meaning a completely youthful life. Even without pain, life just never will stop, and you will just want to relax (die).

If true immortality, I can't die under any circumstance: Terrible, I'll outlast the Earth and and everyone I ever see and know.

If relative immortality, I won't die of age, but can still die of illness or injury: It'd suck seeing my family and friends go as time went on. But it'd be pretty neat to see how far we can get in a few hundred years or longer. So I'd say a good thing if it's relative immortality.
You don't die of age, it's just not possible. There is always a cause, whether it be cancerous cells, an infection, a heart attack, or just an illness like the flu. There is always a cause.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do you guys think that living forever is a good thing or a bad thing?
Live forever or die trying works well as a general philosophy for life for me. It comes with the caveat that I still want to be able

Don't much care if it is as an AI, simulation or genetically altered cyborg. Statistically, especially with my family history, it is unlikely to happen for me but they do reckon the first 200 year old has probably already been born
Choice youtube video series on the matter
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIIOUpOge0Lt0pjc1LgiEQ1EpaIe_y_Jb

I would never want to live forever, because the older you get, the more you age, meaning the more painful your day-to-day life, and you will never be 'put out of this misery. Personally, I would never want to live forever, but I would be all for stopping aging, meaning a completely youthful life. Even without pain, life just never will stop, and you will just want to relax (die).

You don't die of age, it's just not possible. There is always a cause, whether it be cancerous cells, an infection, a heart attack, or just an illness like the flu. There is always a cause.
Much like being 5 the whole summer probably passed very slowly where now I am not 5 this last summer might as well have been last week I imagine you will learn to treat things current humans consider deep and abiding lifelong knowings of people as similar to the person that sold me some books at the shop the other week.

Ageing itself can be a cause from where I sit. There seem to be limits on certain types of cellular division that are a direct function of age/number of divisions. Don't know why such a thing evolved but it appears to be the case. Most of the time it would seem to open up a door to organ failure, infection or similar.

This is getting off topic though so as I am linking videos

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
My great grandma was...102 I think, before she died. I was little when she did, but I remember visiting with her and every now and again she'd give us candy or something to snack on.

My grandma is 92 and looks to be on the fast track to 100, she's so damn healthy. Always claims she'll never last another couple years, but I think she'll hit 100 easy before her time is up.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
i have a 100 year old in my family (or had, i am not sure if the person died, it's not close family and barely heard from them)
i remember when i visited her, she always talked about stories and "showing off how she is still good at remembering everything"
this person still worked in it's garden and even lived alone for a while, in it's 100+
i really think she died a couple years ago but i am not sure..
my grandma is in her 90+ and still healthy and working.. however since some time ago, her hearing has started to gone bad...
she has started to have some small accidents (the chickens bitten her some weeks ago) and the wounds take a really high amount of time to heal..

D

Deleted User

oldest guy ive met was 116
every December one of my old schools would make us all goto a old folks home

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I had a god mother who was over 120. I was shocked when she passed. I didn't know people could live that long to be honest. Does guinness world records have the longest life recorded?:unsure:

I doubt that.

A Fench woman reached the age of 122 in '97 and nobody has beaten her every since.

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
I doubt that.

A Fench woman reached the age of 122 in '97 and nobody has beaten her every since.
For the curious: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldest_people

and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oldest_living_people

Note that the age of 122 isn't a verified age (I presume this was before birth certificates became a thing), but the oldest age someone verifiably was able to become was 117.

Personally, the oldest person I have ever met was my grandmothers' mother. She passed away when I was 6 at the ripe age of 87.

I wouldn't want to become over a 100 years to be honest. Once you reach a certain age (for me it's somewhere above 80, probably 82 or 83) I think at some point you just keep living for the sake of being alive. Maybe if you could live forever without the damage your body suffers over time I wouldn't mind that.

Interestingly, CGP Grey also discussed the subject of aging in his latest video. Highly recommend you to watch it.

Julizi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The (now former) neighbour of my grandmother is 104. Altough she's a fit person for a 104yo one, she always mistakes me for my uncle and my cousin for my mother. :)

D

Deleted-394630

Wow, I never realized that I've never met anyone over 100 years old... except for substitute teachers. I wish they could retire, it'd be better for both of us.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Judge Wario :O:ohnoes::ohnoes::ohnoes: