Having trouble starting phat Xbox One

ThaKarra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi all,

Today I was given an old phat Xbox One console. But I cant seem to get it booting into OS. I've never used an Xbox One before (I'm a Sony guy) so I'm not fully clued up about how the Xbox One operates.

So when I first hooked it up, it took about 30 seconds to display anything on my TV. I could hear a clicking from the hard drive(?) and finally I was presented with:
"Something Went Wrong - System Error: E102 10070C02 8B060008"

So I went into the troubleshoot option and tried to both restart and reset it. No change. Sill the same error. So then I tried doing an offline system update. I went onto the Xbox website, downloaded the relevant files and copied them to my NTFS USB thumb drive.

It didn't even attempt to update, it INSTANTLY flashed to the following:
"Something went wrong - System Error: E101 00000503 800703ED"

Different error to the first one.

So fair enough, the drive was making a clicking noise.. I assumed its dead and needs replacing. I take the Xbox apart, remove the HDD and plug it into a USB caddy. Sure enough my PC wasn't detecting the drive in disk manager. So I guess that confirms, dead drive(?).

I went online and found a tutorial on how to setup a new Xbox One drive (This tutorial here). - I followed the tutorial using a known GOOD 500GB drive, downloaded all the relevant files and formatted it correctly. - I hooked it back up and I'm getting exactly the same issue on screen (minus the clicking noise which is now gone). --

NOTE: One thing that is different now though, is that when I first turn the console on, it says "Preparing Console" for about a minute before throwing the error.

I've tried searching up the error codes but honestly I'm not having much luck. The fact it's not even attempting the offline update is a bit concerning.

Extra Information:
OS Version: 16299.4055.amd64fre.rs3_release_xbox_dev_1711.171203-1700
Console ID (I can provide if needed)

EDIT:
I also tried searching an update archive for version 16299.4055. I copied the update over to my USB thumb drive and exactly the same. Doesn't attempt to update and throws the error.

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
I think that error means that it has hardware problems somewhere in the system. It could be anything from WiFi chip to the CPU.

Of course you should wait for other people's input too. They might have a better solution.

ThaKarra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I managed to fix it myself. - For anyone else having the same problem, here is the solution...

- I got a new 500GB hard drive that I knew was working and hooked it up to my PC.
- I used the Xbox HDD Master Script to format and build a new Xbox hard drive from scratch.
- Once the hard drive was partitioned and ready, I created both an A and B folder on the root of the system update drive (x:\).
- Instead of downloading the latest OSU1 (Xbox OS) from the official Xbox website, I downloaded the last known OS that the Xbox was running. In my case it was version 16299.4055. You can tell which version your Xbox is running from the error, it should display the "OS Version" at the bottom of the screen. You can download older archived Xbox One System Updates here.
- Once I finished downloading the system update, I opened the zip, went into the "$SystemUpdate" folder and copied the contents inside to both the A and B folder on the x:\ drive.
- Then go into either the A or B folder, find the "updater.xvd" file and copy it to the root of the x:\ drive.
- Grab yourself a copy of the Xbox One boot animation .dat file which can be found here. Download the version for your Xbox, whether it be OG, S or X. - Copy the bootanim.dat file to both the A and B folder.

So now the root of the x:\ drive should have both an A and B folder (with your OS files inside), the "updater.xvd" file and the bootanim.dat should be in both A and B folders.

That's about it. I plugged the hard drive back into the Xbox and it worked. The console booted perfectly fine and from there I was able to update to the latest OS version.

If you're in the same position as I was, then I suggest watching this tutorial. - Then make the necessary changes that I typed above.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Hey boi, keep your nuts out of chat. Unless you want them to get roasted. :ninja: