Homebrew Haxchi Cold Boot: forwarders, injections and emulation for beginners?

Waveracer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
After years with vWii soft-modded thanks to kind users around here and being able to play all my GameCube games on Wii U (awesome!), I decided to also hack the Wii U OS. I used the Haxchi Cold Boot method and everything seems to be working fine. For instance, dumping, installing and playing Wii U discs is a piece of cake. But there are other things I am having trouble with:

a) Installing a direct access (icon) on Wii U OS that launches USB Loader GX (vWii).

b) Injecting a ROM (SNES, N64) into a Wii U icon. Also worried because I read you can brick your console if you do it wrong. By the way, I didn't dump the Wii U NAND because my SD is 32 GB and it is not big enough.

c) Injecting a Wii game into a Wii U icon for Wii games not available as Wii U downloads.

Before you reply, I have read many threads on here but they seem to be written for people that already know what they are doing so I am having trouble following. Really.

The game I really, really wanted to add to my Virtual Console (Wii U) is Diddy Kong Racing, however I can't find anyone that have accomplished this, why? Isn't there any way? By the way, isn't there any Nintendo 64 emulator for Wii U?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
a) Installing a direct access (icon) on Wii U OS that launches USB Loader GX (vWii).
You can't, at least not directly; what you can do is to install a Vwii forwarder channel (from a wad), then use the TeconMoon WiiVC Injector to create a forwarder to a Vwii nand application (the first forwarder); I am not sure, however, if USB devices can be used that way

So the most realistic option is probably https://gbatemp.net/threads/custom-wiiu-haxchi-forwarders-to-vwii-homebrew-all-in-one-guide.477456/

c) Injecting a Wii game into a Wii U icon for Wii games not available as Wii U downloads.
TeconMoon WiiVC Injector, again

b) Injecting a ROM (SNES, N64) into a Wii U icon. Also worried because I read you can brick your console if you do it wrong. By the way, I didn't dump the Wii U NAND because my SD is 32 GB and it is not big enough.
Not really (unless you overwrite your DS game used for CBHC), at worst you will end up with an unbootable, ?-iconned app - this isn't a (V)wii

VC injections (or rather the tools used) are rather immature though, if you are used to Asdolo's gold standard 3DS tools; the basic process though is always the same - obtain a base VC game of the same platform you want to emulate (the choice of which may effect compatibility) in extracted ("Loadiine") format, change its name, titleID, and pictures in the "meta" folder, change the ROM in a platform-specific way (tools exist to automate the previous steps), then use NUSPacker to convert them to installable format

Waveracer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can't, at least not directly; what you can do is to install a Vwii forwarder channel (from a wad), then use the TeconMoon WiiVC Injector to create a forwarder to a Vwii nand application (the first forwarder); I am not sure, however, if USB devices can be used that way

So the most realistic option is probably https://gbatemp.net/threads/custom-wiiu-haxchi-forwarders-to-vwii-homebrew-all-in-one-guide.477456/

TeconMoon WiiVC Injector, again

Not really (unless you overwrite your DS game used for CBHC), at worst you will end up with an unbootable, ?-iconned app - this isn't a (V)wii

VC injections (or rather the tools used) are rather immature though, if you are used to Asdolo's gold standard 3DS tools; the basic process though is always the same - obtain a base VC game of the same platform you want to emulate (the choice of which may effect compatibility) in extracted ("Loadiine") format, change its name, titleID, and pictures in the "meta" folder, change the ROM in a platform-specific way (tools exist to automate the previous steps), then use NUSPacker to convert them to installable format

Firstly, thanks for your answer, but I've been trying to work it out and I am not sure I am able to do any of that with my basic knowledge of hacking. I am relieved to hear that as long as I don't touch the DS games for CBHC I am safe, though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BakerMan needs more expand dong