HD graphics packs for Mesen Emulator makes NES visuals look more like SNES era games

zeldurremaster1.png

Those experienced with emulating older games are likely aware of community-made texture packs. Emulators can use these to improve the textures of older games, giving them an unofficial remaster of sorts. Older 8-bit and 16-bit sprite games lack that ability to load in improved textures like that, though we have seen modernization attempts in the form of widescreen and 3D enhancements for retro emulators. Mesen NES Emulator, however, has the ability to load "HD packs", which take the original NES ROM, and use custom-made graphics packs that make them look more like SNES games, such as Mega Man 2 using the art from Mega Man 7, or Castlevania 1 using sprites from Super Castlevania IV. ROMhacking.net features many of these, uploaded to their site, featuring some standout releases such as:

Zelda 1: Remastered
Contra: Remastered
TwinBee Remastered
Castlevania HD Trilogy

There's also a group effort to creature an HD pack for Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link, which is currently a work in progress. You can check some of them out for yourself at the source below. Would you use any of these, or do you prefer to play the games in their original format?

:arrow: Source

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone test these with the Mesen core in RetroArch?
I've used them with the Mesen core on RetroArch on my Steam Deck without any problems. I haven't tried it on Switch or any other platforms though.

Will play the Zelda pack if it ever gets on Switch.
If your switch is modded, you should be able to use the Mesen core on RetroArch. That being said, I haven't done it myself yet, so I can't really guide you through it or anything.

What's cool is that some of these packs go further than making them "look like SNES games." Like the pack that tries to use graphics from New Super Mario Bros. on the original Super Mario Bros. game. And the packs aren't limited to graphical enhancements, they also can swap out the audio!

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
nintendo already made one for those lol super mario all stars collection on snes/wii was basically a texture pack lol.
yeah but we want to play with the simple controls that we had on NES (just 2 buttons and the D-Pad, instead of the 4 buttons, 2 shoulder buttons and the D-Pad from the SNES) lol
Also experience on SNES is a little different than we had on NES xD

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
yeah but we want to play with the simple controls that we had on NES (just 2 buttons and the D-Pad, instead of the 4 buttons, 2 shoulder buttons and the D-Pad from the SNES) lol
Also experience on SNES is a little different than we had on NES xD
the games still only use 2 buttons on snes lol just because the controller has more buttons doesnt mean they are used lol

spkatsi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I've used them with the Mesen core on RetroArch on my Steam Deck without any problems. I haven't tried it on Switch or any other platforms though.

If your switch is modded, you should be able to use the Mesen core on RetroArch. That being said, I haven't done it myself yet, so I can't really guide you through it or anything.

What's cool is that some of these packs go further than making them "look like SNES games." Like the pack that tries to use graphics from New Super Mario Bros. on the original Super Mario Bros. game. And the packs aren't limited to graphical enhancements, they also can swap out the audio!
Didn't know those packs might work on switch. Thanks! Was only checking standard alone emulators and NSO. Guess it is time to test my patience again with RetroArch UI😅

Have seen screenshots of those HD versions and I love them. Regarding the art criticism I disagree with most posts. For NES / GB I think it is "safe" to use fan art. If artists had been hired for those games, it is safe to assume they were under technical limitations not allowing them to deliver the intended.

For later consoles I usually prefer to stick to original experience avoiding any fan mods. That been said, I think some fan works cannot be overlooked (examples: Super Mario 64 Hypatia, Majora's Mask Nerrel and Resident Evil 4).

Last edited by spkatsi,

Yoshkins

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Neat, I hope to see this done for simple games that don't have too many graphics and could really use an upgraded pallet. Also hoping we see the return some rude spriteswaps now that the limits of "creative expression" have broken down.

RandomTask37

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Those experienced with emulating older games are likely aware of community-made texture packs. Emulators can use these to improve the textures of older games, giving them an unofficial remaster of sorts. Older 8-bit and 16-bit sprite games lack that ability to load in improved textures like that, though we have seen modernization attempts in the form of widescreen and 3D enhancements for retro emulators. Mesen NES Emulator, however, has the ability to load "HD packs", which take the original NES ROM, and use custom-made graphics packs that make them look more like SNES games, such as Mega Man 2 using the art from Mega Man 7, or Castlevania 1 using sprites from Super Castlevania IV. ROMhacking.net features many of these, uploaded to their site, featuring some standout releases such as:

TwinBee Remastered
Castlevania HD Trilogy

There's also a group effort to creature an HD pack for Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link, which is currently a work in progress. You can check some of them out for yourself at the source below. Would you use any of these, or do you prefer to play the games in their original format?

Looking at that top-down you've gotta do Snake's Revenge and Metal Gear

gumbyx84

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the confirmation. I'd be trying it out on a Razer Edge Android tablet (SD888+) and Surface Duo (SD855). I'm pretty sure the Edge can handle it, but not sure about the Duo.

CaliousKai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

TwinBee Remastered
Castlevania HD Trilogy

OK this looks impressive

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: :lol: