Head of Sony Motion Pictures declares Uncharted the start of a "new hit movie franchise"

Uncharted-Movie-2.v1.jpg

It seems like Sony Pictures has plans for more of Tom Holland's Nathan Drake in the future. In an internal memo that leaked to Deadline, chairman of Sony Pictures Motion Picture Group Tom Rothman declared the film adaptation of Uncharted a "new hit movie franchise," also noting it has done well with audiences, citing its "90% positive audience score on Rotten Tomatoes." The film has also over-performed at the box office, grossing $51 million in the U.S. over President's Day weekend, when it was only expected to gross $30 million. In an interview with Deadline, director Ruben Fleischer said the worldwide gross as of February 21 was $139 million (on a $120 million budget), which Deadline attributes to Sony choosing not to release their films on streaming services during the pandemic, instead holding on to large event films for traditional theatrical release.

In that same interview, Fleischer says he's hopeful for a sequel and would like to direct the franchise again. Shortly before the film's release, he also announced he had begun some work on a Jak & Daxter film, which Tom Holland has also said he wants to star in, though we don't know right now if that project has been greenlit by Sony. Regardless, given Uncharted's success, it's likely we'll be seeing one or both of these projects soon.

:arrow: Source

Blavla

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It seems like Sony Pictures has plans for more of Tom Holland's Nathan Drake in the future. In an internal memo that leaked to Deadline, chairman of Sony Pictures Motion Picture Group Tom Rothman declared the film adaptation of Uncharted a "new hit movie franchise," also noting it has done well with audiences, citing its "90% positive audience score on Rotten Tomatoes." The film has also over-performed at the box office, grossing $51 million in the U.S. over President's Day weekend, when it was only expected to gross $30 million. In an interview with Deadline, director Ruben Fleischer said the worldwide gross as of February 21 was $139 million (on a $120 million budget), which Deadline attributes to Sony choosing not to release their films on streaming services during the pandemic, instead holding on to large event films for traditional theatrical release.

In that same interview, Fleischer says he's hopeful for a sequel and would like to direct the franchise again. Shortly before the film's release, he also announced he had begun some work on a Jak & Daxter film, which Tom Holland has also said he wants to star in, though we don't know right now if that project has been greenlit by Sony. Regardless, given Uncharted's success, it's likely we'll be seeing one or both of these projects soon.

:arrow: Source
Nathan Fillion as Drake, not this kid.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, although still not the right one, sounds like a better cast. At least doesn't look like a teenager and can hit snarky lines better believably.

They should have aimed for someone like Nathan Fillion:

Though a bit old, but tbh he could look like he's still in his 30's.. and looks like him and Mark Wahlberg are both 50yo? They would look about the same age if he was casted, i guess that's why they went with a boy-ish face like Holland's, to make up for the age difference?

Reactions: pustal

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Probably something similar to Transformers...
Or the Fast and Furious franchise...

Literally aimed to a certain kind of audience.

I don't think it'll be a scenario like, Titanic in the 90s, or Marvel nowadays.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Though a bit old, but tbh he could look like he's still in his 30's.. and looks like him and Mark Wahlberg are both 50yo? They would look about the same age if he was casted, i guess that's why they went with a boy-ish face like Holland's, to make up for the age difference?
Maybe, dunno.

Fan fact: Malcolm Reynolds from Firefly is or was supposed to be a much older character than Nathan Fillion was at the time he played him as well, but Fillion killed it in the audition and because he blends so well into a wide age range, they gave him the role.

Reactions: CoolMe

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
your starting to become cringe. i saw 'Reploid' as last poster i knew you was going to post cringe about how a game sucks or something on those lines.

you have no character. your a broken record.
Not sure if he has ever posted anything positive. Just kind of tuned him out.

Reactions: Flame

Pikm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, but will this new hit franchise that we're all so entranced with, lure us to the Woke side, because if not, if it's not pro-humanists, then I will refuse to watch them, no matter how much money Sony pumps into advertising. Besides, why is he a man, how come he's not a blue haired butch that identifies as Salmon? And where is all the Eskimo representation? And are we supposed to support the violent police or de-fund them...
...no wait, wrong movie.
mate you are unhinged. please touch grass

relauby

Idiot Child
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wahlberg and Holland are miscasts. They look nothing like the actual characters.
I don't understand people's obsessions with actors looking like the characters they play. It's so much more important that they capture the character's emotions and voice. I mean, Cesar Romero, Jack Nicholson, Heath Ledger and Joaquin Phoenix look nothing alike but they all played the same character pretty well. Sean Penn doesn't look like Harvey Milk but still did well in that movie. I dunno, it's just weird to me.

Reactions: Ritsuki

lordofcombo

Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
Représentation matters,I can't watch a wimpy androgyne guy playing Kratos from god of war,a lil effort to imitate the source material is needed in these instances .
But from the trailer I think they're trying to build upon this Holland kid for future projects,like in uncharted 4 you were playing him when he was 16 I think,maybe they're trying to say he's 25 ,it will explain Wahlberg young age compared to the Sunny we know.
If this theory checks out,I hope for Holland to hit the gym but more importantly to f*cking bulk up,it will probably can any new spiderman projects for sure,only time will tell...

lordofcombo

Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
While your analogy is pretty valid ,but in this case it's wrong,the common theme played by those " jokers" is insanity.
In Holland case it's the beefiness of the character,his witty personality...I mean besides the clothes,there's nothing in common ,might as well cast Anthony Hopkins as Samus from Metroid.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Went to this movie. Theatre was surprisingly packed. So I suppose they'll make enough money in the box office?

I still don't understand why this movie was made in the first place.
Did u sneak in there? Because both statements seen disconjointed

Stone_Wings

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wahlberg and Holland are miscasts. They look nothing like the actual characters.

Seriously, especially with Holland, No matter how roughed up you can make someone look he will always have that face of a teenager. He is probably going to be one of those actors that never loses that face when they get older like Matthew Broderick.

Honestly, although still not the right one, sounds like a better cast. At least doesn't look like a teenager and can hit snarky lines better believably.

They should have aimed for someone like Nathan Fillion:

I've not seen the movie and can't comment on its qualities, but Tom Holland as Nathan Drake doesn't jive with me at all from the trailers. I actually looked up if he's supposed to be a son, or something like that.

Now, maybe he isn't the actor for the job, but I always imagined Patrick Dempsey as Nathan Drake when I pictured an Uncharted movie in my mind. I can't really say why. :P

Holland also looks way too young to be playing Nathan Drake, and he looked like someone who was in his late 20's or 30's.

Tom Holland is still looks too slightly early in comparison being 25.

Nathan Fillion as Drake, not this kid.

Are any of you aware that Holland is portraying a younger Drake? Or perhaps, you know, actually played the games that have a younger Drake in them? Because Holland is actually a great match when compared to young Drake in the games themselves.

and yet it has a score of 47 on metacritic :creep:

And? It also has 6.6 score on Metacritic. And a 6.7 on IMDb. And both a 40% and 90% score on Rotten Tomatoes. And, and, and... It's 2022 and people still judge movies, games, etc. based upon reviews before seeing or playing them for themselves? Regardless, if a person wants to go by other people's reviews/scores - it's an above average movie.

Last edited by Stone_Wings,

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was horrible!

I was really bored + disappointed. Even more so knowing Druckman had some oversight on the film, embarassing

Looking forward to Sonic 2 though in other 'video game movie' news.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/qPyo4Z5fFqU?si=qWH13C1sbnF35lvm