Help! I need help with my 2 TB external hard drive.

ComicallyCartoony

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I have a 2 TB external hard drive (specfically, the Toshiba Desktop External Hard drive ph3200u-1exb) It requires a USB 2.0 cable. (Which I dont have) Ive heard sometimes the wii U needs y cables for the thing to run. Does USB 2.0 cable need to be a USB 2.0 Y Cable?

Side question: Can you also homebrew your Wii U using a external hard drive?

Reactions: jeannotte

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
From what I can tell, you external HDD has its own power supply. If that's the case, you don't need a Y cable.

As for homebrew, as far as I know, most recent hacks require that you prepare an SD card in order to forgo hacking/softmodding process. Both Tiramisu and Aroma require that SD card you prepared earlier to be in your Wii U in order to work, while CBHC/Haxchi does not (well, you can play games, but you can't access your homebrew apps that are usually stored on your SD card).

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I can tell, you external HDD has its own power supply. If that's the case, you don't need a Y cable.

As for homebrew, as far as I know, most recent hacks require that you prepare an SD card in order to forgo hacking/softmodding process. Both Tiramisu and Aroma require that SD card you prepared earlier to be in your Wii U in order to work, while CBHC/Haxchi does not (well, you can play games, but you can't access your homebrew apps that are usually stored on your SD card).
The reason you need the SD is because the Wii U formats the drive to a foreign file system. You cannot easily write to this drive without FTP access.

ComicallyCartoony

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks for letting me know. What size SD card do you reccommend for Homebrew? (i have a old sd card in my old 2ds that is about 4 gb big, im wanting homebrew launcher on my wii u and vWii, and aswell as Riiconnect24, nusspli and Pretendo)

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
So, I have a 2 TB external hard drive (specfically, the Toshiba Desktop External Hard drive ph3200u-1exb) It requires a USB 2.0 cable. (Which I dont have) Ive heard sometimes the wii U needs y cables for the thing to run. Does USB 2.0 cable need to be a USB 2.0 Y Cable?

Side question: Can you also homebrew your Wii U using a external hard drive?
Hello,

just for information

I have a USB 2.0 external hard drive on my Wii U console with a USB 2.0 Y cable, and it works fine.

for you, with your external hard drive ==> I think you will need a Y-cable to have better connectivity with the wii U.
see your connections to your external hard drive and a y cable of this kind, will do (example) to see? ==>https://www.joom.com/fr/products/1489574163005967823-78-1-582-2957947184

For the SD card, you can choose the size you want 32 GB, or 64 GB or much more, it's up to you to see what you want to put on it. In general, the Sandisks work well (it's up to you to see what you want)

Last edited by jeannotte,

ComicallyCartoony

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

As for homebrew, as far as I know, most recent hacks require that you prepare an SD card in order to forgo hacking/softmodding process. Both Tiramisu and Aroma require that SD card you prepared earlier to be in your Wii U in order to work, while CBHC/Haxchi does not (well, you can play games, but you can't access your homebrew apps that are usually stored on your
Thanks again.

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Thanks for letting me know. What size SD card do you reccommend for Homebrew? (i have a old sd card in my old 2ds that is about 4 gb big, im wanting homebrew launcher on my wii u and vWii, and aswell as Riiconnect24, nusspli and Pretendo)
I'm not familiar (yet) with Pretendo and Riiconnect24, but initally I used 4GB SD card as well, Sandisk or Kingston it was. Right now I'm using 128GB Samsung Evo Select mainly because I needed a lot more space for all my RetroArch games. ^^

As jeannotte said, depending on what else you're going to use, better get a much bigger SD card down the road. Also, if you want to play e.g. Xenoblade Chronicle X, you'll need at least 32GB SD card in order for game to fit there, as it's around 30GB, DLC and Update included (around 20GB for the base game, 10 for the DLC and Update; you can also install the game first and Update and DLC later). That's another reason I picked a much bigger card.

ComicallyCartoony

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not familiar (yet) with Pretendo and Riiconnect24, but initally I used 4GB SD card as well, Sandisk or Kingston it was. Right now I'm using 128GB Samsung Evo Select mainly because I needed a lot more space for all my RetroArch games. ^^

As jeannotte said, depending on what else you're going to use, better get a much bigger SD card down the road. Also, if you want to play e.g. Xenoblade Chronicle X, you'll need at least 32GB SD card in order for game to fit there, as it's around 30GB, DLC and Update included (around 20GB for the base game, 10 for the DLC and Update; you can also install the game first and Update and DLC later). That's another reason I picked a much bigger card.
Thanks again! I'll probably look up how much storage all of that needs, I have a 2 TB external hard drive (that is a old one) that im gonna use for extra storage. (yes i said that again for some reason, classic me)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWb8Lb89dzg