Help identify P/S cable for Old rare PS1 mpeg converter

philipx99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Recently I uncover a old PlayStation 1 mpeg console in my storeroom. It use DC 9v. Behind the VCD console got AV out and P/S connector. Upon connect the AV cable to TV and switching to VCD mode , a display of winbond image display and prove it still work. However I lost the P/S cable which suppose to connect to the PlayStation 1 console. I remember when I was young , this vcd console will enable VCD mode to play VCD from PS1 fat console. However I forgotten what kind of P/S cable it use as I lost it. Anybody in the forum know where to get this kind of cable or do this type of cable still exist to buy?

Attachments

• IMG_1043.jpeg
    IMG_1043.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1037.jpeg
    IMG_1037.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1036.jpeg
    IMG_1036.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1039.jpeg
    IMG_1039.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1038.jpeg
    IMG_1038.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1041.jpeg
    IMG_1041.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 40

philipx99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking is there any cable that have one end 7 pin mini din male connector and then the other end is PlayStation video connector. Is there such a cable?
You'll have to either make your own cable, or source one from someone, or the company who manufactured them (slim chances of finding them).

The trouble with the mini din 7 pin connector, is that not every company will adhere to the standard -if one does exists-. For example, they could have mapped the standard composite signal to a completely different pin than what the standard specifies.

Reactions: philipx99

philipx99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Thank everyone for all the information. Still welcome other to give some more info on this P/S cable. Will update more photo of the inner case once I got time. Thank everybody.

Reactions: SylverReZ

Kazesama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a vcd player/module for the PS1 back in the days, mine plugged into the expansion slot in the back. But didn't have that DIN
socket, wonder if there's another piece to this hardware that plugs into the expansion slot? I remember it also plugged into the AV port for video passthrough.

Reactions: philipx99 and duwen

r1vver

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Judging by the switch on the front panel there is most likely both S-Video and stereo audio in the same cable/plug.
The pinout is of course proprietary (of their own invention). And I wouldn't be surprised if the plugs themselves had components like resistors inside.
It's worth looking for the owner of exactly the same device but with a cable and who is able to measure connections of the cable and compute a pinout scheme.
Or to study the inner workings of the device board. A kind of reverse-engineering.
And to DIY such a cable.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As above if you can find someone with such a cable and get them to bell it out (possibly resistance as well if we think that is going to be a thing) and take some pictures (knowing what the PS1 side of things was would help narrow down uses) that would be nice, though how many of those or similar enough model still exist I do not know.

Most VCD things I saw back when were not external devices (give or take the basic homebrew enabling cheat cartridges but they are functionally just a mod chip for these purposes) though so I am not sure what goes for this, or what particular function either the device serves or the PS1 serves unless it is just a CD player passthrough in this with all the smarts in the box. That said VCD was far more of a thing in Asia (your flag does say Singapore*) so there is that to consider as well, and if it was around the time then standalone CDs might have been rare just as people used PS2s as DVD players a few years later, and PS3 blu ray beyond that.
I don't think it would be any kind of overlay type device (subtitles and such) at that point.

*I saw I think it was an Indonesian PS1 video out the other day at a car boot sale. Had two prongs on the thing which I had never seen. Probably should have picked it up for the shelf of weird things but hey.

The PS1 has two output options
https://psx-spx.consoledev.net/expansionportpio/
https://psx-spx.consoledev.net/serialportsio/
Plus controller, memory card and whatnot.

Serial port is likely to be too slow to do much in the way of CD reads, though at the same time if the PS1 was 2x CD that is maybe 300 kilobytes a second and thus back in the region of it, not to mention VCD bitrates are 1150 kbits (divide by 8 to get bytes) then still under the limit.
Unless it was serial port mod chip as it were and had some kind of controller built into it.

7 pin socket (8 if you include shielding which is just another ground) does hint towards https://problemkaputt.de/psx-spx.htm#pinoutssiopinouts rather than expansion (many more pins, though as not all pins are used by all things then not flawless, though here as most of the big stuff is 16 pins and 24 pins less likely, scroll up a bit on the link above for a pinout). It is serial so mostly going to be TX (transmit), RX (receive, remember to reverse TX and RX between the devices as what transmits from one is received by the other and vice versa), voltage, ground, clear to send which you can probably determine easily enough by following traces from whatever chip it comes from inside the box (assuming you can find a pin out of that or play with an oscilloscope).

Probably not going to be RS232 (what most think of if you say serial port) but the principles he uses to reverse engineer it and in some related videos of that little series are pretty much identical to what you would want to do in the absence of an existing cable to bell out.

philipx99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Hereby is some more image of the gut of the mpeg converter. I can’t really recall whether do it need any other accessories to connect or do it connect to the serial port or expansion port. But I can remember it use for playing VCD video format at that time. Hope someone who have use the same converter to share their view on what 7 pin s video cable use.

Attachments

• IMG_1061.jpeg
    IMG_1061.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1064.jpeg
    IMG_1064.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1065.jpeg
    IMG_1065.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1066.jpeg
    IMG_1066.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1067.jpeg
    IMG_1067.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1046.jpeg
    IMG_1046.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1060.jpeg
    IMG_1060.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1059.jpeg
    IMG_1059.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1058.jpeg
    IMG_1058.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1049.jpeg
    IMG_1049.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1050.jpeg
    IMG_1050.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1051.jpeg
    IMG_1051.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1052.jpeg
    IMG_1052.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1053.jpeg
    IMG_1053.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1057.jpeg
    IMG_1057.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
Last edited by philipx99,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nice pictures. Any chance we can get an underside shot of the connectors board (looks like just the 4 screws)? Mostly for the connector so we can try to further guess (though I imagine the 7 wire is that connector is going to that, the others being obviously power on the far side and the probably video and audio split for the others. Sadly I don't think the screen printing next to the 7 pin connector/larger header is going to be much use either despite first glance being hopeful.
I am curious about the unpopulated RF part as well, though that is probably just an RF out that was on some models or regions (the size is about the size of the shielded things I would see in a VCR). The CD port (missing a header as well, unlike the RF) also has me curious.

Don't like some of the flaking/corrosion on the connectors either.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you're willing to understand as to where the connections are leading to, then it would be also best to take photos of each side of the PCB, load them into your favourite photo editing program and highlight the traces with the pen tool, this will make finding out the connections really easier. I also recommend using a multimeter to test the continuity.

philipx99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Nice pictures. Any chance we can get an underside shot of the connectors board (looks like just the 4 screws)? Mostly for the connector so we can try to further guess (though I imagine the 7 wire is that connector is going to that, the others being obviously power on the far side and the probably video and audio split for the others. Sadly I don't think the screen printing next to the 7 pin connector/larger header is going to be much use either despite first glance being hopeful.
I am curious about the unpopulated RF part as well, though that is probably just an RF out that was on some models or regions (the size is about the size of the shielded things I would see in a VCR). The CD port (missing a header as well, unlike the RF) also has me curious.

Don't like some of the flaking/corrosion on the connectors either.
Will try to get more image on the underside of the board once I back home.
Post automatically merged:

If you're willing to understand as to where the connections are leading to, then it would be also best to take photos of each side of the PCB, load them into your favourite photo editing program and highlight the traces with the pen tool, this will make finding out the connections really easier. I also recommend using a multimeter to test the continuity.
Unfortunately I not very good at circuitry tracing and use of editing software. Regards.

Hereby image of the underside and side of the board. Thank everyone for the assist. Regards.

Attachments

• IMG_1079.jpeg
    IMG_1079.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1080.jpeg
    IMG_1080.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1081.jpeg
    IMG_1081.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1082.jpeg
    IMG_1082.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1083.jpeg
    IMG_1083.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1084.jpeg
    IMG_1084.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1085.jpeg
    IMG_1085.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1086.jpeg
    IMG_1086.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1087.jpeg
    IMG_1087.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1089.jpeg
    IMG_1089.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1090.jpeg
    IMG_1090.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1091.jpeg
    IMG_1091.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1092.jpeg
    IMG_1092.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1093.jpeg
    IMG_1093.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1094.jpeg
    IMG_1094.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1095.jpeg
    IMG_1095.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 30
Last edited by philipx99,

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Will try to get more image on the underside of the board once I back home.

Unfortunately I not very good at circuitry tracing and use of editing software. Regards.

Hereby image of the underside and side of the board. Thank everyone for the assist. Regards.
Thanks. This will definitely come in handy.

UPDATE #1: Okay. This looks more like an S-Video port to me.
(Attached are summary documents for the main processing chips.)

Attachments

• W9925PF.PDF
    25.8 KB · Views: 24
  • w9950p.pdf
    24 KB · Views: 22
Last edited by SylverReZ,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, caught out by the merger. Seems like some nice 90s auto router done for this one.

My dry joint alarm is going off for
https://gbatemp.net/attachments/img_1079-jpeg.366577/

Not to mention the creeping oxidation under the mask would have me concerned. Top right pin in that short of the unknown lead/lead we are concerned with. Few spots on what looks like the ground plane on the far right. No connections to other video things I can easily see but could well be isolation if good design or said 90s auto router.

The shield looks connected to another pin which goes to pin 4/middle pin so presumably a ground. Will have to compare against what I can see about chips.

philipx99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Thanks. This will definitely come in handy.

UPDATE #1: Okay. This looks more like an S-Video port to me.
(Attached are summary documents for the main processing chips.)
I guess hope that someone who have use this before share their thought or post their type of cable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: "I'm cheating on you with your hamster's cousin's owner's dog's favorite tree" +1