Hardware Help Identify Top Screen Panel Types

OrGoN3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have taken two images: one of my launch 3DSXL's top screen, and one of my N3DSXL's top screen. Please note that I have 3x N3DSXL units (2x majora's mask, 1x hyrule) and they all have the same top screen panel type.

The second picture linked is the N3DSXL screen. My picture stinks, but what you can barely see is that each square has diagonal cuts on them. Typically I would assume they are TN panels, as grey looks green. However, the pixel layout is somewhat similar to a PVA type. Thoughts?

As for the black level IPS test (from lagom.nl)........both of my screens on O3DSXL show greys on 8+. Both show true colors for grays and blacks. On my N3DSXL units, they show grey on 8+, but grey is more of a green.

On O3DSXL, holding at an extreme angle turns the blue Internet bar nearly green. Holding N3DSXL on extreme angle, turns the green StreetPass bar a tad darker. Other than that, no washout of colors from extreme angles. What do you guys think?

Sorry guys. Evidently, I forgot to add the imgur link. http://imgur.com/a/o96VY

Last edited by OrGoN3, , Reason: added imgur link as the post is dependent on the picture

DevilzCY

Trophies
XP
Country
People do not normally check their screen the way your pictures show. If you have been checking thread regarding ips screen and see the pictures that they use to check their screen, you will know what I meant.

Reactions: OrGoN3

OrGoN3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People do not normally check their screen the way your pictures show. If you have been checking thread regarding ips screen and see the pictures that they use to check their screen, you will know what I meant.

Yup, and those methods are hugely flawed. One test, as you mention, is the black level test hosted on lagom.nl. Every 3DS I have owned shows 8+, including my Dell 24" monitor that is either an MVA or SPVA, I can't recall. Even my original 3DSXL's bottom screen shows 8+. According to most people, I have an IPS on both. That is hugely false, as my original 3DSXL has a TN top and bottom screen. Evident from the sub-pixel layout from my picture. Plus, at extreme angles, blues turned to greens.

My N3DSXL's have great color and amazing viewing angles. At extreme angles, the colors get a tad darker, but that is it. Greens remain green, blues remain blue. The grey boxes in the Lagom test showed a bit green. To say it is an IPS is just utter nonsense. Why is everyone ruling out MVA technology? (PVA, SPVA, etc. There are many types of VA technology) The sub-pixel structure on my N3dSXLs' screens (all 3 of mine have the same top screen sub-pixel structure) looks more like some sort of VA technology than IPS. However, there are some iterations of IPS that feature structures more closer related to a VA structure.

My point is, all of the methods have flaws in them. They are educated guesses by the community. Everyone assumes TN or IPS (I've seen a few mention MVA, but it is always ignored). Why Nintendo would use either a TN (cheap screen) or IPS (expensive screen) makes little sense.

This is why I posted the sub-pixel structure. Sure, every manufacturer has a slightly different adoption of each technology. For all I know, this sub-pixel layout is only for these displays, which are exclusive to Ninty. Who knows. But if somebody does recognize the layout in my N3DSXLs' screens, then I would know 100%. To assume that all 3 N3DSXL's that I have, have IPS screens, with how rare it seems to be to get one (between the 3 I had two different types of packaging, so if these were all 'IPS' then that guy's theory is off). The other point is, if I have some sort of MVA screen and not IPS, then does anybody have an IPS or are they simply all MVA and people assumed IPS from the better viewing angle?

Last edited by OrGoN3, , Reason: added a bit more detail to the first two paragraphs
Reactions: DevilzCY

DevilzCY

Trophies
XP
Country
Yup, and those methods are hugely flawed. One test, as you mention, is the black level test hosted on lagom.nl. Every 3DS I have owned shows 8+, including my Dell 24" monitor that is either an MVA or SPVA, I can't recall. Even my original 3DSXL's bottom screen shows 8+. According to most people, I have an IPS on both. That is hugely false, as my original 3DSXL has a TN top and bottom screen. Evident from the sub-pixel layout from my picture. Plus, at extreme angles, blues turned to greens.

My N3DSXL's have great color and amazing viewing angles. At extreme angles, the colors get a tad darker, but that is it. Greens remain green, blues remain blue. The grey boxes in the Lagom test showed a bit green. To say it is an IPS is just utter nonsense. Why is everyone ruling out MVA technology? (PVA, SPVA, etc. There are many types of VA technology) The sub-pixel structure on my N3dSXLs' screens (all 3 of mine have the same top screen sub-pixel structure) looks more like some sort of VA technology than IPS. However, there are some iterations of IPS that feature structures more closer related to a VA structure.

My point is, all of the methods have flaws in them. They are educated guesses by the community. Everyone assumes TN or IPS (I've seen a few mention MVA, but it is always ignored). Why Nintendo would use either a TN (cheap screen) or IPS (expensive screen) makes little sense.

This is why I posted the sub-pixel structure. Sure, every manufacturer has a slightly different adoption of each technology. For all I know, this sub-pixel layout is only for these displays, which are exclusive to Ninty. Who knows. But if somebody does recognize the layout in my N3DSXLs' screens, then I would know 100%. To assume that all 3 N3DSXL's that I have, have IPS screens, with how rare it seems to be to get one (between the 3 I had two different types of packaging, so if these were all 'IPS' then that guy's theory is off). The other point is, if I have some sort of MVA screen and not IPS, then does anybody have an IPS or are they simply all MVA and people assumed IPS from the better viewing angle?

Yes I agree with you that technically the methods that most new 3ds owners are using to tell which panel they are having is not absolute. It's because most of them, including me are not familiar with the tech terms & knowledge. So if you float around you will see mostly they tell by the viewing angle, and I think it's somewhat accurate to a certain point. I'm not sure about the black level though.

So if you want more opinions, you could include some other pictures of the viewing angle as addition to your sub-pixel structures. Just my idea.\
Also, how do I get the sub-pixel structure pic on my console? I'm guessing you have to have a very good camera with may be good micro lens?

Reactions: OrGoN3

OrGoN3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I agree with you that technically the methods that most new 3ds owners are using to tell which panel they are having is not absolute. It's because most of them, including me are not familiar with the tech terms & knowledge. So if you float around you will see mostly they tell by the viewing angle, and I think it's somewhat accurate to a certain point. I'm not sure about the black level though.

So if you want more opinions, you could include some other pictures of the viewing angle as addition to your sub-pixel structures. Just my idea.\
Also, how do I get the sub-pixel structure pic on my console? I'm guessing you have to have a very good camera with may be good micro lens?

I appreciate you wanting to help. According to those other threads, all 3 of my N3DSXL consoles are IPS top screens (black level test, viewing angle test, which is the most important factor). However, I find it odd that I lucked out three times in a row. Add that to the fact that my original 3DSXL has 2 IPS screens according to the black test level, and clearly has two TN screens. One guy says it's based on the type of packaging, but I had both types of packages. So with the 3DS in my possession, I am able to figure out that two of the tests are clearly flawed. I don't have any other N3DSXL units to compare the screens to. Compared to the O3DS, one would say they are IPS screens. However, many newer types of MVA screens (any sort of VA technology) have increased their viewing angles. On top of that, since greys look a bit green, I highly doubt the screens are calibrated, and who knows what their delta E's are.

There is just so much to compare when comparing screens. Knowing the panel type of one does not necessarily mean you can correctly infer the other panel type. I wonder if anybody happens to know where the belief that some 3DS screens have IPS top screens started. Are they assuming IPS from the viewing angles? Or did they take it apart and the model number corresponded to an IPS screen?

I'd post this on AVSForum.com, but I need to gain a higher post count before I can post a picture or a link to a picture. Sigh.

TL;DR Perhaps the default screen for N3DSXL is an MVA and the best is an IPS? If that is the case, then I would want to try my luck a few more times to get the better screen. I am doing this before transferring from my O3DSXL. I don't want to have to keep on transferring my profile. The others I'll probably just end up selling once I get their OTPs. But that would be a different sub-forum.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    that will reset the configs
  • Arne214 @ Arne214:
    where can i find a clean copy of the mii maker for the wii u (EU)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Arne214, We don't ask for roms.
    +2
  • D @ dadadad:
    The installation was only through rofms and in the game folder in content. What else can I do?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I already told them about that and yet they make a thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Well I'm sure the mods will take care of it.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reminds me of that one Spanish guy who was in here a week or so ago, that wouldn't translate their messages.
  • Arne214 @ Arne214:
    ok sry
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I don't remember him
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @SylverReZ Si means yes, no means maybe
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Arne214, it's fine but dont ask for roms here again
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, I only know very little Spanish, haven't done it in 5 years lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, que tan poco?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I took 3 years of Spanish in high school, ages ago but don't remb most of it. Like they say, if you don't use it, you lose it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, A bit. I only know greetings and some other parts. Its quite an easy language to learn.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    But I don't remember most of it.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, easy to learn despite having some relatively complex rules
    +1
  • D @ dadadad:
    Should I just accept that I won't play this game anymore, or is there a way to solve this problem?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    For some reason I remember a bunch of swear words tho, lol
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, cuz we swear more than talk normally i guess
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @dadadad I would do like @The Real Jdbye said, they are very wise.
    +2
  • D @ dadadad:
    блядь
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You get your nap today?
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: You get your nap today?