[Help] Need help Unlocking new Ipad mini already linked to an Apple ID

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I assume this is a used iPad or something?

Looks like there's an "Activation lock" bypass you could try if Apple hasn't fixed it yet/it hasn't been updated.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/04/03/ios-7...nd-bypass-activation-lock-without-a-password/

The ipad was bought at a store but never was claimed so it just sat there for months. Obviously I dont know the original owner so Im trying to unlock it.

Also about the link you posted, that's only for Iphone's and only if you have access to the home screen. I cant even get passed turning the Ipad on, setting english as language and then setting up wifi. After that it says "This ipad is linked to an Apple id, enter it and password to continue".

Basically it's an 'If you dont know it, gtfo' fail-safe that apple added in iOS 7.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Best you can do is try to track down the former owner. Generally there's a message that comes up when you plug it into iTunes, from the previous owner, with contact info, etc. If it's there, try contacting them; if not, you've got no choice but to return it; it's a fancy brick without the proper login info, unless the owner removes it from their account.

Naturally this is entirely shady and illegal, but if there's contact information, you can try and extrapolate the available info to figure out their security questions and their iTunes email, then reset the password, log in, and remove the iPad from their iCloud. I managed to do so with nothing but the previous owner's cell number on an iPhone 5 I bought from eBay, but the only reason it worked was a combination of an unusual name, easy security questions, and being lax about Facebook privacy settings.

Reactions: cearp

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Once it's been forcefully restored by iTunes, all existing methods to bypass the account lock don't work. As long as you could access settings, there were a number of bypass methods. Without that, you're stuck.

If you paid anything to get it, I would claim a refund. If not, then trying to contact the previous owner is the only method.

Vengenceonu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont know how to contact the previous owner, they never showed up and the account lock gives some ambiguous email you cant guess (i*******@o*****.net) I guess imma hold on to it for a while. Would any of you have any hope for a future Tool assisted/Jailbreak/vunrability to appear in the future that would get passed it?

1stClassZackFair

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried putting it in DFU mode then doing a restore using ITunes? I don't remember the exact process, but search it up. It wouldn't hurt to try DFU mode.

Reactions: netnerd

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apparently this is a huge, HUGE problem nationally (at least here in the US). Apple's account locking does help stop a few people from having their data stolen, but for the most part it just screws over consumers that buy secondhand devices.

There are cellular carriers and thrift stores with hundreds or thousands of used Apple devices that are locked to an account and there is no way around it as of yet. These are $400 devices which have become, as OP put it, useless paperweights.

After talking with someone in the industry, I was told that the first person to figure out a way around the account lock is going to become a millionaire overnight.

rehevkor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Apple better address this problem in 8.0 because it's doing more harm then good.

It's by design, it's a problem to the second hand market (well, mostly the black market..) but Apple don't care - they want to sell new devices.

Rather confused about how you got this though, you say they bought (pre paid?) it but never claimed it? How did they manage to register it?

Vengenceonu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's by design, it's a problem to the second hand market (well, mostly the black market..) but Apple don't care - they want to sell new devices.

Rather confused about how you got this though, you say they bought (pre paid?) it but never claimed it? How did they manage to register it?

No freaking Idea. Im told it was bought months ago but never claimed (which seems odd since its already linked to an account) so the store owner was gonna send it in to apple to see if they could unlock it (which they cant hence the dilema) Supposedly it sat there for months until the person who gave it to me thought i could unlock it because im sorta semi-tech saavy. The box had marks on it and no manual and misc items you usually find in apple packaging was inside. Just the ipad and charger.

IMO, I think it was probably bought but returned for some reason. Unfortunately whoever returned it never unlinked his account from the device making the store owner assume its broken and wanted to return it to apple I guess but they wont unlock it. It sat there as a paperweight for months until it eventually made its way to me. This is speculation on my part.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm doing fine, and you?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    Im gonna see if I can find a ps4 to buy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    now that firm ware 11 supposedly is exploitable
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you see the fallout series
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is pretty good
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @AncientBoi, happy birthday