Homebrew Misc GCN Help with Gamecube compression for Nintendont?

DottMark

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi, i want to compress my gamecube games, afaik Nintendont only read iso and ciso, which is the best tool to do this?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yeah, use the DMTool box. Make sure to check the Nintendont compatibility list for games that work or don't work when compressed.
they shoudl all work compressed with dmtoolbox at 32k alligment, only games that dmtoolbox cant compress will fail but you will notice since the games like kirby air ride files get bigger than base iso lol

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
You can use GC ISO Tool to do the job. It's a more complete solution and have more options.
nope gc iso tool breaks the alligment of many audiostreaming games, making them crash with nintendont. it shouldnt be uised, while most games dont have audiostreaming the ones that do are easily breakable with that app.

whaou! thanks for this post, I did'nt know it was possible to use compressed image with nintendon't!
they arent compressed, they are trimmed, so you just loose the extra filezie that doesnt have anything on it and are made of padding.

ber71

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Nkit (nkit iso format) does align the audio and tgc files to 32k. Why is dmtoolbox recommended instead?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Nkit (nkit iso format) does align the audio and tgc files to 32k. Why is dmtoolbox recommended instead?
Nkit iso is not recomneded for nintendont, many nkit isos dont even work, i cant count on how many reports we had of people using isos that crash only to find out they were nkit isos, they switch to full isos and everything worked, so i would never recommend nkit for nintendont ever.

even thge dolphin devs said it shouldnt be used for gaming read its reply

see dolphin dev reply.

And nintendont is much more picky than dolphin which can make many games crash and such.

Reactions: CoolMe

ber71

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Nkit iso is not recomneded for nintendont, many nkit isos dont even work, i cant count on how many reports we had of people using isos that crash only to find out they were nkit isos, they switch to full isos and everything worked, so i would never recommend nkit for nintendont ever.

even thge dolphin devs said it shouldnt be used for gaming read its reply

see dolphin dev reply.

And nintendont is much more picky than dolphin which can make many games crash and such.
I get the point, but can't see why dmtoolbox is different.
btw, many users can't distinguish between gcm, nkit.iso, iso... so i wouldn't trust that nonworking reports

Reactions: N7Kopper

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
btw, many users can't distinguish between gcm, nkit.iso, iso... so i wouldn't trust that nonworking reports
Swiss' developers at least recommend using Nkit to trim .isos (to the point that Swiss complains unless you use nkit or untrimmed)

The real efficacy test would be comparing nkit trim to dmtoolbox trim, not to untrimmed. For what it's worth, I haven't had a single problem with Nkit yet, and it's the only fully optimised trimming method. (Obviously there's only one optimum way!)

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
its very easy to see the difference. when you trim with dmtoolbox you dont swap file locations around, you just trim the padding they put at the end of the iso so if the game was 900mb and then they added padding to the end of the iso to reach 1.35gb, if you use dmtoolbox you get trim until 900 and done.

nkit moves file locations around besides trimming to do better shrinking and it probably will shrink agmes more which can be an issue depending on the game or way you play it because nintendont might expect that file to be at that location and it isnt.

ber71

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Thx for the explanation. I tought that these inner movings applied to wii isos only, not gc.
To end this conversation, do you known positively about just one title that doesn't work as nkit? so i can see it with my eyes.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Thx for the explanation. I tought that these inner movings applied to wii isos only, not gc.
To end this conversation, do you known positively about just one title that doesn't work as nkit? so i can see it with my eyes.
i dont know any single title, i heard people complain about games not working over the time and many of them were nkit isos complains, i dont recall any specific game name tbh, like i said, if it works for your games then nice, but please dont go to nintendont thread or github issues complain when a game crashes using a nkit iso before trying a vanilla iso.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Bumping for 2 reasons:

1- A long time ago I tried this DM ToolBox and my isos crashed no matter what. So, what would be the exact options to correctly shrink an iso? And can I checksum with DM ToolBox?
CapturaDMToolboxv02b.jpg

Extracted + 32K?
Optimized + 32K?

2- Will try tomorrow and don't want to lose this thread.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Bumping for 2 reasons:

1- A long time ago I tried this DM ToolBox and my isos crashed no matter what. So, what would be the exact options to correctly shrink an iso? And can I checksum with DM ToolBox?
CapturaDMToolboxv02b.jpg

Extracted + 32K?
Optimized + 32K?

2- Will try tomorrow and don't want to lose this thread.
optimized and 32k and then install

of course the iso you feed it should be md5 checked with redump, putting a random broken iso or nkit.iso will not bring good results.

Reactions: JuanMena

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is funny to see people start a gofundme for silly shit like a new game system, and then see them get free money, then think, not so funny after all.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gofundme for the homeless
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My dog used to chase off my neighbors cat from our yard, till one day the cat stood its ground, and paw slapped the shit out of my dog, now the cat wonders thru my yard, and my dog don't even care anymore, he's like f that cat. Lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So just slap your dog when I'm climbing out urewifes window
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just use the front door, dumbass
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, what if you see him?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Then slap your dog?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He can tag me in...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah last time I just looked at bigonya and said the heavy works already done
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    That's @slaphappygamer 's job to slap
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh hi nick
    +2
    I think he's from Ohio
    +3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ohhioh Nick
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty Is your new PS3 modded/CFW?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, always has been
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool, lots of cool games available for PS3. Game on!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ancientboi already making new people mad
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, Nick is not that new
    Ohayogozaimasu = Good Morning
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ohgayhoe
    +1
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Si