Henry Cavill to star and produce in a live-action Warhammer 40'000 project, after being dropped from The Witcher and Superman roles

British actor Henry Cavill will begin work as the main lead and executive producer in a Warhammer 40'000 project. The actor unveiled the announcement through a Facebook post on his account, alongside a teaser video for the Warhammer project and a message from the actor regarding the upcoming work what seems to be a "cinematic universe" setup for the series on Amazon:

Henry Cavill said:
For 30 years I have dreamt of seeing a Warhammer universe in live action. Now, after 22 years of experience in this industry, I finally feel that I have the skill set and experience to guide a Warhammer Cinematic Universe into life. Partnering with Natalie Viscuso at Vertigo has been a blessing beyond words, without her we might not have found the perfect home at Amazon. And having a home like Amazon will give us the freedom to be true to the massive scope of Warhammer. To all of you Warhammer fans out there, I promise to respect this IP that we love. I promise to bring you something familiar. And I endeavour to bring you something fantastic that is, as of yet, unseen.

Our first steps are to find our Filmmaker/Creator/Writer. Watch this space, my friends.
For The Emperor!

#Warhammer
Warhammer
Amazon Studios
Amazon Prime Video
#Vertigo

For those unaware, Warhammer is a series of miniature figures strategy game quite popular in the United Kingdom, starting back in 1987 and still going strong to this day, having seen a variety of presence in different media, like music, novels, a movie in 2010, board and even video games, and with the recent news, it will delve into a series format.

This announcement broke out after the announcement by Cavill himself that sadly he will not be returning as Superman in the DC Cinematic Universe, despite his recent post-credits appearance in last month's Dwayne Johnson-led "Black Adam" set in the same universe. The change came after a meeting with the new DC heads of James Gunn and Peter Safran, which were recently hired as the new heads of DC to work on future projects regarding their IPs.

This isn't the first disappointing news for fans who follow Cavill's work, as just last month it was also announcement that Cavill would not be returning to The Witcher series' 3rd season, and will instead be replaced by Liam Hemsworth in his place.

:arrow: Source

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wish it was Witcher, but alas, Netflix have the rights to destroy that franchise.

Whilst I've never been able to get into the Warhammer franchise, I wish him all the best and truly hope he succeeds.

This is a franchise he's very passionate about, I didn't like his Superman movies/appearances, but I realise now that was down to poor direction, they other movies and shows I've seen him in (not all but a lot of), you can see he is a good actor, often misused.

Reactions: Henx

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But modern Games Workshop will be at the helm of this I imagine so anybody thinking long form version of the various fan films

The results will likely leave something to be desired.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Amazon shows continue to be hit or miss, so hopefully they do 40K justice.

I still can't believe he got kick out from Superman.
Doesn't surprise me that they want to wipe the slate clean after giving James Gunn creative control of DC. Gotta pretend all these awful movies never happened (except the Suicide Squad remake).

Reactions: Maximo101

Varia

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh, I thought he dropped Witcher for Superman, isn't that ironic.
Shame he couldn't get his old role back.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, I thought he dropped Witcher for Superman, isn't that ironic.
Shame he couldn't get his old role back.
Word is that he dropped The Witcher because he didn't like how the show was deviating further and further from the source material (books & games), supposedly the show is being run by people who openly "hate" said source material, and Cavill is a massive fan/nerd of it.

Reactions: Henx and CoolMe

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He was the only reason a lot of people gave the Netflix adaptation of the Witcher a shot. lol

Seeing how the writers act, and season 2 and 3, I can see why he'd walk. He used to whip out his Witcher books, and lecture the writers. lol

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Most important is the story arc they'll use. Horus Heresy, in which we see the birth of the skeletal Emperor, something before that, or later, when all hell has already broken loose?

There are great books about it, not only about the various chapters and their fights, but some are world builders that give a lot of lore.

Let us see, because Warhammer is massive in tabletop, other media... Not so much.

V800

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I've never been much interested in Warhammer 4000 tbh. However, I think this can be my opportunity to explore it. I totally respect an artist who studies source material because it's the only way to bring something good to the screen.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Most important is the story arc they'll use. Horus Heresy, in which we see the birth of the skeletal Emperor, something before that, or later, when all hell has already broken loose?

There are great books about it, not only about the various chapters and their fights, but some are world builders that give a lot of lore.

Let us see, because Warhammer is massive in tabletop, other media... Not so much.
I am curious there as well actually, and it is not like we have had 500 origin stories to make it stale like it would be for most comic characters.
My history of guessing things is abysmal but I imagine conquest of earth, maybe mars, great crusade and then leap to 40k, heresy being saved for series 2.

I suppose another concern would be how they handle all the various factions as it risks getting rather watered down and most of those are better than a villain of the week. Indeed most sub factions within factions deserve more than villain of the week.

arfgh

Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
conforming the news, Hery Cavel wasn't dropped as you say, He left these productions, and in the case of The Witcher the reason dont go to like to those that are saying that tv serie is wonderful....

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I'm imagining Henry Cavill playing the Emprah and all his Primarchs (they share his DNA after all), every one with a different wig and mustache.

But he's going to play Nurgle instead.

About the show.
I hope he doesn't bite off more than he (and his perfectly chiseled jaw) can chew.

And I hope he remembers the central point of the setting, i.e. that everyone (and their grandmother) is a complete monster.
The closest any of the named characters comes to being not a complete monster is them being an end-justifies-any-means utilitarian bastard.
And it needs to show.
And the closest the writers can come to sympathizing with any of the characters or races or worlds or fractions is to admit they are a product of their time.
A time of complete monsters and bastards.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Enter the Dragon?