cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rydian said:
The insinuation was that while he did play the game, people who added these reviews because of the e-mail didn't read the book.

And if you read almost any book you can love it AND rip it to pieces as well. And how many hours does a book take to read? Lazy, lazy bastards.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Rydian said:
Foxi4 said:
I don't see how any of this is a no-no - I find it quite funny.

The Conduit 2 is indeed one of the best shooters out there for the Wii, the review is indeed a load of crap, you can't demand much more from the Wii. The reviewer had no idea of what he's reviewing, so the "public" payed him back by reviewing his book and not giving a damn what it is about.

Justice is served, the world is filled with smiles.
The insinuation was that while he did play the game, people who added these reviews because of the e-mail didn't read the book.

"reviewing his book and not giving a damn what it is about" hints that you think that was the right thing to do?

That's childish.

That's not what I meant. What I meant is, taking the resources the Wii has at its disposal, which is NOT MUCH, Conduit 2 sports some really awesome visuals and has a nice story.

You shouldn't look on a Wii game through the prism of XBox360/PS3 productions because the Wii simply isn't capable of producing the same effect those consoles are.

If you're being bias about a video game review and you clearly don't know what you're talking about, describing the game by seeing its cover only, not the inner workings, then expect other people to review your book just looking at its cover aswell.

High Voltage STRETCHES it with the Wii a whole damn lot, and they deserve praise, not bad marks.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I find it childish and really stupid to even suggest something like this, I have to admire their need to let the fans decide the fate.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
_Chaz_ said:
While I find it childish and really stupid to even suggest something like this, I have to admire their need to let the fans decide the fate.

The fate of what? His book? By people that know nothing of it besides what the front cover looks like?

Please. It's childish and there is no pride or admiration to be had in this.

You let your fans speak with their pocket book. Asking them to do anything otherwise is unethical and not really "playing by the rules"

They think they may have accomplished something by the attack, but Joystiq will most likely refrain from reviewing High Voltage games altogether. IMO, that's worse than one bad review.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TwinRetro said:
_Chaz_ said:

The fate of what? His book? By people that know nothing of it besides what the front cover looks like?

Please. It's childish and there is no pride or admiration to be had in this.

You let your fans speak with their pocket book. Asking them to do anything otherwise is unethical and not really "playing by the rules"

They think they may have accomplished something by the attack, but Joystiq will most likely refrain from reviewing High Voltage games altogether. IMO, that's worse than one bad review.
They could have just came right out and bashed the book, they didn't.
While I know this was their intention, it was still better than just bashing it. I don't admire what they set out to do, only that they let their fans have a say.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
If you're being bias about a video game review and you clearly don't know what you're talking about, describing the game by seeing its cover only, not the inner workings, then expect other people to review your book just looking at its cover aswell.
But he didn't.

Eckin

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
_Chaz_ said:
wait, wasn't it an internal e-mail?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
JoostinOnline said:
You realize that the guy who suggested this said to read the book, right?
On the one hand we have the game reviewer, who we know played the game.

On the other hand we have random people who were sent an e-mail obviously with malicious undertones, using such phrases as "return the favor" (even though the guy did the review as his job) and "have fun folks!"

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
JoostinOnline said:
You realize that the guy who suggested this said to read the book, right?
On the one hand we have the game reviewer, who we know played the game.

On the other hand we have random people who were sent an e-mail obviously with malicious undertones, using such phrases as "return the favor" (even though the guy did the review as his job) and "have fun folks!"
I'm not justifying what he/they did (although I can see why he would be pissed when someone wrote a review like that), I've just noticed people saying that HVS employees wrote bad reviews without reading the book. We don't know if that's true.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
supersonic124 said:
High voltage, when you make a crappy game, you should expect crappy reviews.

Make a better one for a 700Mhz ARM and little RAM and THEN talk. Wii is basically a mid-2000 PC, if you're supposed to compare Conduit 2 to anything, compare it to games from that period.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
Wii is basically a mid-2000 PC, if you're supposed to compare Conduit 2 to anything, compare it to games from that period.
This only makes sense if the developers haven't learned anything about developing games in 11-13 years (adding in the development cycle for those mid-2000 games), which would really kind of justify the original bad review. Then again, hateful reviews aren't reviews as much as they are hate, so I place the blame firmly on everyone in this case.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Destructobot said:
Foxi4 said:
Wii is basically a mid-2000 PC, if you're supposed to compare Conduit 2 to anything, compare it to games from that period.
This only makes sense if the developers haven't learned anything about developing games in 11-13 years (adding in the development cycle for those mid-2000 games), which would really kind of justify the original bad review. Then again, hateful reviews aren't reviews as much as they are hate, so I place the blame firmly on everyone in this case.
It makes sense because the hardware hasn't changed (not counting things like D3-2 drives) since the Wii's launch. The game is far superior to games from the Wii's release, as well as most recent releases. I'm very surprised that they could make it with the hardware limitations. It's a pretty large game too. I think it's 3.8GB when scrubbed.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Destructobot said:
Foxi4 said:

There's not much of a learning curve when you think about it when the 20th century and early 21st century is concerned. There was just a given ammount of resources and you had to deal with that and cut the polycount.

Nowadays you get more resources than you'll ever need and still you don't reach full potential, since the theoretical "user" can just get a quad-core and a quad-Tesla-SLI and in "theory" he could play a real-time-rendered Avatar if he really wanted to. (Obvious overstatement, but you get what I mean)

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Not to mention...when you code games for Windows, you need to take into account the background processes of the Windows OS, whereas todays gaming consoles use very little resources running in the background until you open the Home menu, and even then, the OS itself is designed to have a very small footprint. Windows however, is not.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
There's not much of a learning curve when you think about it when the 20th century and early 21st century is concerned. There was just a given ammount of resources and you had to deal with that and cut the polycount.

Meh, I wrote a whole long response to this before I realized I'm just being drunk and belligerent. The short version is that just like new hardware gets better as a result of experience and further development, so does new software.

Do you really think that for any developer making the last game didn't help build the skill set that they used to make the current one? You're basically saying that games didn't progress in any area other than polygon count, CPU speed, data size and other tech, and that could not be more wrong. Even given the same CPU speed, data size, polygon count, etc. , a decade of experience in 3D modelling, level design, gameplay design and everything else involved in developing games cannot be ignored.

There has (to my knowledge) never been a console gaming system that didn't see a major improvement in the quality of titles over its life span, and until someone invents a way to do something new without learning, there never will be.

Let me give you an unrelated example. Back in the mid to late 1960's Jimi Hendrix revolutionized the electric guitar. No one had ever (popularly) done the things he did with his guitar, but once he did them, other people picked up on it and started looking at the instrument in a new way. Given no new technology, but lots of new inspiration, other guitar players started to do new things. New stuff, no new tech required (although just like gaming, new guitar tech is usually welcome).

The exact same thing happens in every single field that requires human ingenuity, including game development. Even if these people weren't working in the field 12 years ago, they still learned from what the people before them did.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: balls