Gaming Holy... Mario Kart 7 suuuuucks

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So as we seem to have a load of Blue Shell avoidance experts here and as they are easy to dodge and perfectly fine,how do I get out of this situation, as it happened three times tonight.

Third lap, nearly finished, Blue Shell appears. I'm not close enough to make it across the line before getting hit, but I'm also not close enough to the pack of racers to back up and let someone else in first before the shell locks to me.

Choices to me seem to be either, go for line, take the hit. More than likely get hit by the other racers weapons as well, unless luck shines on me and they have used them all attacking each other. Even if they have, they will more than likely have passed me, by the time I stop bouncing and get back to speed.

Drop back, blue shell will still get me and I'll be in the pack of racers again and have no weapons to defend with.

Obviously as they aren't a problem and are easy to avoid, there must be a third option I've overlooked, to avoid it and keep 1st place.

You're reeeeally trying to find a way to hate the game. How does the Soup Nazi say it.. "NO HELP FOR YOU!"

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You're reeeeally trying to find a way to hate the game. How does the Soup Nazi say it.. "NO HELP FOR YOU!"

I like the game, I just think Blue Shells are broken. Apparently not being able to easily avoid them, is "Doing it wrong", so clearly there must be something I overlooked, other than having a Mushroom or Star at the exact right moment.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
How's he trying to "hate" it? He's just asking a question about a scenario that simply proves the point that I and others were making earlier: Blue shells are broken and add a HUGE element of random chance, even sometimes if you're a master of avoiding the blue shell (impressive as the techniques you mentioned were).

Stephapanda

Clover's Wife
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't believe I just read an entire thread full of posts complaining about not being able to easily win something, and posts complaining about people complaining... and then posts complaining about people complaining about people complaining.

It's a game. Yes, there are ways to avoid blue shells. Yes, you need to be more wary of them. Being attentive is important. If it were easier to avoid them then we'd have people complaining that everything is too easy.

Reactions: Deleted User

someonewhodied

Lazy Person
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So as we seem to have a load of Blue Shell avoidance experts here and as they are easy to dodge and perfectly fine,how do I get out of this situation, as it happened three times tonight.

Third lap, nearly finished, Blue Shell appears. I'm not close enough to make it across the line before getting hit, but I'm also not close enough to the pack of racers to back up and let someone else in first before the shell locks to me.

Choices to me seem to be either, go for line, take the hit. More than likely get hit by the other racers weapons as well, unless luck shines on me and they have used them all attacking each other. Even if they have, they will more than likely have passed me, by the time I stop bouncing and get back to speed.

Drop back, blue shell will still get me and I'll be in the pack of racers again and have no weapons to defend with.

Obviously as they aren't a problem and are easy to avoid, there must be a third option I've overlooked, to avoid it and keep 1st place.
Drive off the course, That way you are immobile for the same amout of time, but you can get the boost back to full speed right as your are placed back on-track, giving you less slow-down time.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There is one thing that I do not like about MK7, and that's the online. God that thing sucks. It's impossible for me to play with someone without there being a communication error randomly. And it's just the game too, no other game has problems.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
There is one thing that I do not like about MK7, and that's the online. God that thing sucks. It's impossible for me to play with someone without there being a communication error randomly. And it's just the game too, no other game has problems.
Really? Huh. The only game I generally have issues with is Street Fighter.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Wait the only times I have errors is when I race against some noob and they disconnect on purpose. Errors here in the GBAtemp MK7 day community are rare occurrences. MK7 online is solid overall, I play it all the time and never complained about it, well after they patched the game anyway.

Reactions: Wizerzak

slingblade1170

Trophies
Website
xtremehack.net
XP
Country
United States
I own every Mario Kart since SNES and I have to say 7 was pretty fun to me just wish I had some friends that also owned the game. But, I must say Double Dash was my favorite, it was just a blast to get drunk and play 4 player, 9 lap race on baby park.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Still nothing beats the original Super Mario Kart for me! (Battle mode on that, with my kid bro - followed by a bit of Tetris Attack = my golden age of gaming! I am 37yo now though :()
Blue Shells & Lightning Bolts.... perhaps the Wii U version and all its catching up with the competition online thingie will allow those who create races to remove these items - that'd be nice.... but still, wouldn't be Mario Kart without em ehh, they're now a staple, and whilst they can be annoying to the victim, remember the opponents are quite likely to be pissing themselves laughing: I remember tailing one bloke online on N64 Bowsers Castle (retro) till the last lava pit when we got hit with a lightning hahaaa... damn shame there weren't any voice chat!!

It was the tracks I didn't like about MK7 actually... sure the Retro tracks we got were imo far and away the best we've ever had, but the new tracks... it's 50/50 really, some are good, others rather meh... almost rushed through before the deadline to me, rather un-Nintendo like to be honest... Great fun otherwise though!

justmike

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It's not perfect, but that's what makes it fun.

I had no issues getting 3 stars for everything and winning most of the time. It's a good challenge.

Reactions: gamefan5

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
I still haven't bought Mario Kart 7. Should I?
Yeah you should, it's a lot better than MKWii which I personally didn't like at all. The racing mechanics are the best in the series and the tracks are good enough, half ok and the other half great.
The item selection is much more balanced this time around despite the fact that blue shells (which are somewhat avoidable) remains, it's still a fun experience. And if you're a racing purist you can play in communities with shells/bananas/mushrooms/bombs only which I also really recommend.

Actually the biggest reason why you should get it is the community feature, set your own rules and race away. The GBAtemp races we host once in a while is the most amount of fun I've gotten out of the game yet, we have an IRC and everything so definitely check that out if you decide to get it. I suggest racing against Bortz or something to get started, he's new to the game and I don't think he has played all that much since last time. A nice feature is that the game keeps track of how many times you've lost/won against players, FC added or not.

Anyway the game is great for time trials, ghost data and leaderboards if you're into that sort of stuff, so that combined with online really makes up for the lackluster single player cups imo.
All in all I consider 7 to be the ultimate MK available right now, it didn't feel like just another Mario Kart to me.

Simply put, get 7 if you like MK.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't forget the fact that u can dodge it using a mushroom. XD
Damn I used to remember when it was so EZ to avoid the blue shell without the use of any items in MKDS. XD
I didn't know you could ever avoid the blue shell. O.O

I like mk7 so far. Multiplayer local. Online. Flying. Under waster. I love it. I don't play it frequently, but its still a good game to play with friends.

war2thegrave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mario Kart is the special olympics of racing games.
The fact that you have to trick the game into thinking you suck in order to win doesn't make it any better.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

sprogurt

Trophies
XP
Country
Recently Just found MK7 again after losing it for 9 months, yeah the rubber banding AI can be a pain a bit but if you need to rely on weapons other than shells and bananas then go through time trials for a while.

Keep an eye on the bottom screen, if a blue shell pops up and you don't have a mushroom, let someone overtake...if there's no one around then drop your weapons and carry on as fast as you can. Bolts are pretty much the same.

Of course it's no MKDS (simple power boosts to dodge blue shells, drift jumps, jump shortcuts and of course, invincibility on transition parts...oh and snaking!) but it's still a great game! Aiming for 3 stars and kart pieces lead to relentless playing but it get's you used to the levels and mechanics.

(back in the MKDS days I accidently broke the top screen of my 1st DS and played using the minimap for 3-4 months :P...Also rated 4th in the UK TTs by the Nintendo magazine, they made a cock up, should've been 8th but oh well :) )

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: