Homebrew Demo of Sonic The Hedgehog for PSX available

sonicPSX.png

Brazilian user TiagoSC has released a WIP homebrew demo of Sonic The Hedgehog for the PlayStation (PSX). The demo itself is based on the Sonic Engine for SNES which TiagoSC himself developed previously. Tiago has also worked on other amazing homebrew demos, like a Megaman X port to the Sega Genesis / Mega Drive.

The demo has even been tested in original hardware, with consoles like the PSOne, SCPH1001 and SCPH550; and while the project's original schedule for a final release was set due to 2 month since August, 2022, Tiago is still working on the project, with the latest update being on January 1st, 2023. Those interested in the demo can download and try it for themselves from the link below.

:arrow: Source

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the color pallete looks so much better than the original, it gives a better sense of depth.. i like how the colors become more desaturated the further into the distance the parallax is. Everything is so much brighter looking as well

Reactions: lordelan

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not that we need another port for the original Sonic the Hedgehog, but kudos to the dev for coming up w/ his own engine to create it. Looking forward to his original version of Sonic he plans to develop whenever that releases.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
View attachment 347144

This just happened like three days ago. Sega are no saints :tpi:
Well, they were going to make a profit, right?
Post automatically merged:

For people who want to play Sonic on PS1, check out Sonic Storm. :)

I wonder if that runs via the Vita. Looks a lot of fun.

Now, I'm not dismissing this, but it's just Genesis Sonic we all know although it's cool it runs on PS1.

Last edited by Marc_LFD,

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
god this looks so much better than the genesis version... why couldn't Sonic Jam look like this?!??
The Saturn was reportedly a console hard to develop for, so it explains why it had limited support by devs and a smaller catalog than PS1 and N64.

Saturn and Dreamcast were dream (no pun intended) gaming consoles, but both failed and that kinda hurts since I preferred Sega over Nintendo back then. When Sony entered the gaming industry, I as a kid did not expect much from PS1 and was fixated on Sega's consoles (because they were and are awesome).

I'd like a "Mini" version of Saturn and Dreamcast. Did I buy the 2nd Genesis Mini? No, and it was mainly because the catalog of games wasn't very interesting and did not have Snatcher.

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I get that PAL runs at 50Hz, but couldn't they use NTSC 60Hz too?
First build is. The second build was aimed to PAL users only due to a display bug.

god this looks so much better than the genesis version... why couldn't Sonic Jam look like this?!??
It's a great question, as the Genesis games in Sonic Jam are properly ported and not emulated, AFAIK.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Spend 50 hours playing the game