homebrewed 3ds takes a minute plus to boot

st4ticbuzz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i recently homebrewed an o3dsxl . i bought it very recently and it came completely hard reset , so there was nothing on it . i've homebrewed it and everything seems to be working fine , except it takes around a minute to boot when i turn it on . i have a 64gb sd card , formatted to fat32 with a 64kb cluster size . i have no games installed , just some homebrew apps and some themes/splashes . i tried with an empty 4gb sd card and it only took about 5 seconds to boot . i know larger sd cards have slower booting times , but this seems ridiculous . i've tried googling it , but nothing i've tried so far has helped . any advice ? thanks in advance :)

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Copy everything off the card, format the card again, test the empty card with h2testw, and then copy everything back if the test is okay. See if that helps.

Even a brand-new card can have problems.

st4ticbuzz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Copy everything off the card, format the card again, test the empty card with h2testw, and then copy everything back if the test is okay. See if that helps.

Even a brand-new card can have problems.
i already used h2testw when i got the card , and it didn't have any problems . will it work differently now that i've actually used it ? i've already has some weird formatting problems with this card before - i formatted it to fat32 with guiformat when i first got it , but the 3ds didn't reconize it at all . i had to use my friend's homebrewed 3ds to reformat my card with godmode9 before it actually worked . do you think this has anything to do with it ?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i already used h2testw when i got the card , and it didn't have any problems .
That is a useful thing to mention.

will it work differently now that i've actually used it ?
It's possible, but kind of unlikely.

i've already has some weird formatting problems with this card before - i formatted it to fat32 with guiformat when i first got it , but the 3ds didn't reconize it at all . i had to use my friend's homebrewed 3ds to reformat my card with godmode9 before it actually worked . do you think this has anything to do with it ?
That is necessary in certain cases.

st4ticbuzz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What card you are using ?
sandisk ultra plus 64gb , purchased at target . not from like ebay or something
Post automatically merged:

That is a useful thing to mention.
yeah , i realize that now , sorry ! i tried to include as much info as i could but of course i forgot something lol
It's possible, but kind of unlikely.

That is necessary in certain cases.
what would you recommend , then ? should i try doing what you suggested above and trying h2testw again ? i can't say i particually WANT to do that , but it's not like i have any idea what's even causing it , so if that's the best option i guess it wouldn't hurt

Last edited by st4ticbuzz,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
should i try doing what you suggested above and trying h2testw again ? i can't say i particually WANT to do that , but it's not like i have any idea what's even causing it , so if that's the best option i guess it wouldn't hurt
There's not a whole lot else you can do. Sometimes just copying files off the card and back again is enough to have some effect.

AWESOMEGAMER

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What kind of microSd card so you have.
Samsung (maybe Sony) Scandisk and Kinston
Do not go below these and what about your adapter

I have had a whole lot of cheap cards and adapters break and just fall apart just by looking at them. Not a joke >-(

Also how big is your card the bigger your card the slower your games, HB and save file will load, and the DS (fam) will turn on.
16g-20g the 2-3ds(n3ds) it will start to run a little slaw and the save files *wow*
Remember these are not pin drives

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
About 13 seconds boot time on New 3DS with 64GB microSD here. If your 3DS takes that long to boot with a smaller card something is wrong with it. With 128GB or more on the other hand it happens.

AWESOMEGAMER

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:-? Well ....... No you cot a point there. I have a Samsung, and do not even count the boot up time
128G 1-2min depending on what I had just done
3-5m and there might be a stall or something
I just expect the loading to be slow, and swim around in all that memory :-)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fellas
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    would you rather have a 9-5 desk job with poor pay or work for an intergalactic space militia with no guarantee of being paid?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    basically, normal boring job or halo and/or helldivers irl
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Lol. Have you heard about this?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I wish the people who make these emulators know the basic primer course on copyright and trademarks.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: I wish the people who make these emulators know the basic primer course on copyright and trademarks.