Horizon Forbidden West delayed to 2022, Horizon Zero Dawn gets 60fps PS5 patch

sadddasasd.png

Following an insider report from Bloomberg, it has been confirmed that Horizon Forbidden West has indeed been delayed. The game has been pushed back slightly from holiday of this year and has now settled on a release date of February 18, 2022. Guerrilla Games explained that the delay was difficult, but will ensure that the developers will have a "healthy work/life balance", and will make sure the game is polished when it does launch. To compensate for the delay, a new patch has been put out for Horizon Zero Dawn, which updates the game to run at a full 60fps when played on PlayStation 5 consoles.

:arrow: Source

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do either of those 2 train wrecks have to do with this....are you saying after over a year of delays this 1 will be stacked next to those unfinished turds waiting for a patch to make it playable....or are you saying they where both delayed due to unhealthy work/home balance. I don't see what your comparison is between what I said and the 2 unfinished piles you mentioned. Point is why set a date to only miss it by over a year then try using a healthy work/home balance as a half ass excuse. It's obvious the damn thing wasn't any where near complete when the first date was set.

You do know that in most (90% and higher) cases of a deadline or release date being announced is usually the publisher and not the actual developer of the game. A lot of the time when shit fails to make market or gets pushed out regardless of refinements it ends up being a mess because they were pushed to meet a deadline rather than completing the game the way it should be intended to. The whole delayed game being eventually a good game rhetoric is not BS in any way, because when it comes down to it, especially with Cyberpunk and NMS they were pushed out unfinished because the deadline mattered more to the publisher than finishing the actual game.

A lot of what screws up a game's development is meddling from up on high, pushing mandatory goals in a project regardless of the fact that crafting good games takes time.

Reactions: Kraken_X

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What's weird is the same games run mostly stable on Series X consoles. AC3 Remastered comes to mind, looks great at 60 fps, I can't go back to playing it at 30. Wished more PS4 games got a 60 fps boost, but I can imagine it's not easy to implement.
Under the custom hardware petticoat the Xbox One and Series S/X are running a heavily slimmed down Windows kernel and use DirectX - both leave some performance on the table as a result, but they gain in cross-generation compatibility. Microsoft doesn't have to patch individual games, they just have to work on their various compatibility layers.
Can't wait to replay this :)

I love this new wave of 60fps upgrades. Let's hope all games offer an option for 60fps play going forward.
I played a good portion of it on PS4, but life got in the way and I never ended up finishing it. Happy to see it upgraded for sure, I'll gladly play it enhanced.

mrcroket

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Under the custom hardware petticoat the Xbox One and Series S/X are running a heavily slimmed down Windows kernel and use DirectX - both leave some performance on the table as a result, but they gain in cross-generation compatibility. Microsoft doesn't have to patch individual games, they just have to work on their various compatibility layers.
I played a good portion of it on PS4, but life got in the way and I never ended up finishing it. Happy to see it upgraded for sure, I'll gladly play it enhanced.

I doubt that the DirectX used on One and Series are the same that the Windows counterpart, I mean obviously the base should be pretty similar but surely that the "Xbox version" is highly optimiced and adapted for the Xbox hardware, with low level access and optimizations. Because for example, Xbox One with their jaguar cores has the same level of performance than PS4, and this would be impossible with the overhead of DirectX on Windows.

Last edited by mrcroket,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I doubt that the DirectX used on One and Series are the same that the Windows counterpart, I mean obviously the base should be pretty similar but surely that the "Xbox version" is highly optimiced and adapted for the Xbox hardware, with low level access and optimizations. Because for example, Xbox One with their jaguar cores has the same level of performance than PS4, and this will be impossible with the overhead of DirectX on Windows.
Of course, but because it's an API with largely the same function set, you don't have to work on individual software releases as much, you're more concerned with working on the implementation of the API in the OS. As far as performance goes, it varies wildly depending on the release, largely favouring the PS4, with the exception of games originally intended for DirectX.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Congratulations PC players! Not everyone has a PC capable of playing it, nor is EVERYone even interested in gaming on a PC. Choices and preference. Imagine that!
I never suggested to people play on PC, my point is that a PC that is way weaker than a PS5 can run it at 60 FPS, so why Sony kept it locked in its own platform until now?

Everything first party should be at higher frame rates on PS5 just because it is powerful enough, there is no excuse for that not being a thing except lack of will of Sony. Technical reasons is not what is keeping them, they own the environment and the games, if by now things run just like on PS4, it is just lack of will of improving (after all, I don't know how many first party PS4 games are there, I'm guessing it is around 50, it is not a gigantic library)

I even believe that even third party games can get improved in a unilateral, and cheap way by Sony, and many here disagree but neither I or them have evidence for either opinion, so I'll not insist on that.

GoldenBullet

That One Guy
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do either of those 2 train wrecks have to do with this....are you saying after over a year of delays this 1 will be stacked next to those unfinished turds waiting for a patch to make it playable....or are you saying they where both delayed due to unhealthy work/home balance. I don't see what your comparison is between what I said and the 2 unfinished piles you mentioned. Point is why set a date to only miss it by over a year then try using a healthy work/home balance as a half ass excuse. It's obvious the damn thing wasn't any where near complete when the first date was set.
My point was that it isn't uncommon for a goal to be set and miss it. For the case of the two mentioned, they did numerous delays and still couldn't live up to the promises. Games get delayed and turn out good (see BotW)

Also, game companies were literally just been slammed for overworking their employees. You got games like TLoU (regardless of opinion is objectively high quality) that turned out good but was found out that the employees had to deal with development crunch. It's not the best time to get leaked that employees are forced to work overtime.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Huh, I like the way they do it, it's a shame some games break when you put it in standby (i.e. no audio when resuming hours later)

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Now Zero Dawn just needs a 60fps patch on PS4.
Base PS4 would probably never be able to run this game at 60fps.

PS4 Pro on the other hand maybe could if they lowered the resolution to 1080p or 900p, but I doubt they'll do that.

wartutor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do know that in most (90% and higher) cases of a deadline or release date being announced is usually the publisher and not the actual developer of the game. A lot of the time when shit fails to make market or gets pushed out regardless of refinements it ends up being a mess because they were pushed to meet a deadline rather than completing the game the way it should be intended to. The whole delayed game being eventually a good game rhetoric is not BS in any way, because when it comes down to it, especially with Cyberpunk and NMS they were pushed out unfinished because the deadline mattered more to the publisher than finishing the actual game.

A lot of what screws up a game's development is meddling from up on high, pushing mandatory goals in a project regardless of the fact that crafting good games takes time.
Sounds like your good at making excuses as to why these shit devs can't code there way out of the paper bag they coded themselves into. How long did they work on cyberpunk, 8 years, 9, or more? Fuckin decade for that steaming pile of half ass shit. If they can't do the job McDonalds is hiring...hell nevermind they probably couldn't make my burger right either.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

My point was that it isn't uncommon for a goal to be set and miss it. For the case of the two mentioned, they did numerous delays and still couldn't live up to the promises. Games get delayed and turn out good (see BotW)

Also, game companies were literally just been slammed for overworking their employees. You got games like TLoU (regardless of opinion is objectively high quality) that turned out good but was found out that the employees had to deal with development crunch. It's not the best time to get leaked that employees are forced to work overtime.
Forced to work over time...boo fucking hoo if you don't want to do it there is the fucking door. In real life we work to get shit done. Why is that the only business that it's OK not to meet the deadline when you promise something. Every bit of production is understaffed and overworked but shit has a deadline and must get out the door or businesses go belly up and Noone has a job.

Last edited by wartutor,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Base PS4 would probably never be able to run this game at 60fps.

PS4 Pro on the other hand maybe could if they lowered the resolution to 1080p or 900p, but I doubt they'll do that.
1080p would be fine by me. Maybe even cut down the render distance a tiny bit. I don't need to see shit 40 miles away.

Reactions: Moon164

GoldenBullet

That One Guy
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like your good at making excuses as to why these shit devs can't code there way out of the paper bag they coded themselves into. How long did they work on cyberpunk, 8 years, 9, or more? Fuckin decade for that steaming pile of half ass shit. If they can't do the job McDonalds is hiring...hell nevermind they probably couldn't make my burger right either.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Forced to work over time...boo fucking hoo if you don't want to do it there is the fucking door. In real life we work to get shit done. Why is that the only business that it's OK not to meet the deadline when you promise something. Every bit of production is understaffed and overworked but shit has a deadline and must get out the door or businesses go belly up and Noone has a job.

Regardless of your opinion of the development crunch, it will hurt PR if they get found out doing so. People will literally boycott games because of it and it isn't a good headline to have.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Leo just follows Luke around with flowers
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is funny, every week he cries bout something and says that's it, I'm leaving this site for good.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See I'm a good match maker I always knew he wouldnt leave over luke
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Had to break down and turn on my AC today. 89 degrees in May. Bet August/September is gonna be crazy hot.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im back
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, when your wife kicks you out BOVONO Prefabricated Tiny Home, Mobile Prefab House with Lockable Door and Window, Outdoor Storage Shed with Restroom & Cabinet, Perfect for Hotel, Kiosk, Booth(19 x 20FT) https://a.co/d/ab1dd5t
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Pretty cool actually
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I feel pain on the left side of my stomach
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 looks neat, i would want one in the boonies
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Read the reviews
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    honestly, seems like a great option for temporary housing, but the reviews seems iffy
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I'm sure i could build one with the schematics if made available
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    the 2nd pic dun show much, just topdown view of the layout
  • Y @ yqw:
    someone has a cheat table for need for speed most wanted 2012?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The cheat codes 911 catch the crazy drivers
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I mean that game came out on every game system, so lets be a little more vague.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I need cheats for GTA v, lol. And why ask here, go look for them yo self!
    +2
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    make 'em , they're not hard to do
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Fast and Furious Night Rider crossover !
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The Rocks going to get mad when he heard he got cheated on
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea my monitors are definitely more than 3.9 feet away from my pc tower. But not like I'm gonna be buying a $3000 graphics card/monitor.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn