How do I hack the Leapster 2?

Bingies24

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really know where to get help with this so I'll just ask here.

I have a Leapster 2 with a USB Cable, and the original Leapster Connect software (doesn't load though), as well as all the downloadable games.

My goal is to figure out how to make homebrew for the Leapster 2.
How do I get started?

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Your only method of making homebrew for the Leapster 2 is by creating a simple game in Adobe Flash, and then by injecting the SWF file directly into an already existing Leapster game with a hex editor, making sure that it is below the size as one of the SWF files.
Post automatically merged:

You can find out the offsets of the SWF files in the game by using "SWFjuicer", locate one of the offsets, and then replace the data with your SWF file, making sure you null out the leftover data afterwards.

Last edited by SylverReZ,

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
I don't really know where to get help with this so I'll just ask here.

I have a Leapster 2 with a USB Cable, and the original Leapster Connect software (doesn't load though), as well as all the downloadable games.

My goal is to figure out how to make homebrew for the Leapster 2.
How do I get started?
Could you PLEASE send me a copy of Leapfrog Connect? I can't find any installer for it. Just a copy of the folder for it in your Program Files folder might work..

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Could you PLEASE send me a copy of Leapfrog Connect? I can't find any installer for it. Just a copy of the folder for it in your Program Files folder might work..
You can probably find an ISO of it on Google, not like its going to work or anything.

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
You can probably find an ISO of it on Google, not like its going to work or anything.
I've looked. It's always either an ISO of a CD that'd download the *actual* installer, or a broken link to an offline installer...

Like. It's almost insane how something like this with such a (seemingly?) large install base just. Turned to lost media.

Reactions: SylverReZ

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Well, I HAVE found the offline installer finally. Give me a moment to go fetch it, though honestly it's only useful just to get USB file access on the damn thing. And it's barely useful since none of the files are in a format known yet...
Oh, and make sure that once it's installed that you disconnect your PC from the internet before letting LeapFrog Connect open, otherwise it'll refuse to work and either force you to let it update, or close.

son of a fuck this piece of goddamn bitch site can't take the damn file. ugh hang on

click here to download the offline setup, right from archive.org:

https://ia801509.us.archive.org/18/...r-2/LeapFrogConnectOfflineSetup_Leapster2.exe

Oh, BTW I've tested this on windows 7. dunno about other versions but it should work no matter what on most versions since XP.

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Maybe we should start a proper Leapster 2 hacking thread at this point...
Edit: I'm not joking.
It'd be nice, but from what I can see, hacking the LS2 would need a hardware mod, poor thing just loads its OS into memory from ROM and then runs it from there, afaik only persistent storage (the "SD card") isn't going to easily allow homebrew..

Reactions: SylverReZ

Bingies24

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It'd be nice, but from what I can see, hacking the LS2 would need a hardware mod, poor thing just loads its OS into memory from ROM and then runs it from there, afaik only persistent storage (the "SD card") isn't going to easily allow homebrew..
It's that advanced? Darn.

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
It's that advanced? Darn.
I wouldn't say *advanced*, just really weirdly sophisticated and secure for a kid's plaything. Like, the damned didj and other devices they made after are properly hackable, why did they make the LS2 as secure as fort knox??
Oh, and the serial number isn't real. You can change it. Secret button combo in the calibration menu iirc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: After watching, that I feel like I'm on them already +1