Homebrew How do you backup GBA saves from injected VC?

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Godmode9 works well but is a bit more involved. If you followed standard guides for installing luma you should already have it.

1) Start the VC GBA game, let it load to a title screen.
2) Power off the 3DS
3) Hold start and power on the 3DS
4) Push down to select sysnand virtual with A
5) Select agbsave.bin, then AGBsave options..., Dump GBA VC Save

To restore a save, you need to basically do step 1-3 again, then navigate to SD (card) on step 4, find your save file, and put it in the clipboard with Y. Then go back to agbsave.bin, this time choose Inject GBA VC Save, then restart and launch the GBA VC title to complete the inject.

alonzondavis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Godmode9 works well but is a bit more involved. If you followed standard guides for installing luma you should already have it.

2) Power off the 3DS

To restore a save, you need to basically do step 1-3 again, then navigate to SD (card) on step 4, find your save file, and put it in the clipboard with Y. Then go back to agbsave.bin, this time choose Inject GBA VC Save, then restart and launch the GBA VC title to complete the inject.

And these agbsave.bin can be rename to .sav so itll work on other gba emulator to continue the save, like on android for example?

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no when it extracts FROM agbsave.bin, it will create .gbavc.sav files in sd:/gm9/out by default, with a number that matches the title number that was used for injection. It will give you the filename when you do the extract. You can then rename that .sav the same as your .gba rom and drop it into most emulators.

Last edited by Rahkeesh,
Reactions: alonzondavis

alonzondavis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no when it extracts FROM agbsave.bin, it will create .gbavc.sav files in sd:/gm9/out by default, with a number that matches the title number that was used for injection. It will give you the filename when you do the extract. You can then rename that .sav the same as your .gba rom and drop it into most emulators.
Ah ok I understand it now, thanks!

E1ite007

wierd avatar guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

2) Power off the 3DS

Wait… WHAT?
You can turn off the console?! I always entered System Settings and then exit from there with the Select Button pressed to launch the Luma Chainloader.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait… WHAT?
You can turn off the console?! I always entered System Settings and then exit from there with the Select Button pressed to launch the Luma Chainloader.

I didn't even know you could do this. :P What I outlined is how I've been doing it.

ToxicIzzy

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@alonzondavis thank you for sharing how to pull up a saved file from virtual console injected games. I did this for Ruby Version. After doing so, I inserted my sd card to my laptop to open the saved file to PkHex. However, I noticed the saved file is only 64 kb when it should be 128 kb. So, I can't open it on PkHex? Do you know how to fix this? I really want to be able to edit the file, as the game looks a whole lot sexier as a virtual console injection.

I wouldn't mind playing the mGBA but for some reason, not a single GBA game has sound.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@alonzondavis thank you for sharing how to pull up a saved file from virtual console injected games. I did this for Ruby Version. After doing so, I inserted my sd card to my laptop to open the saved file to PkHex. However, I noticed the saved file is only 64 kb when it should be 128 kb. So, I can't open it on PkHex? Do you know how to fix this? I really want to be able to edit the file, as the game looks a whole lot sexier as a virtual console injection.

I wouldn't mind playing the mGBA but for some reason, not a single GBA game has sound.
Did you ever dump your dsp file? If ya got no sound it kinda seems like you missed that.

tomman321

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried this with Metroid Fusion, so I could continue playing on my Switch, but it doesn't seem to be loading the save properly. All the save file slots are showing blank.

ToxicIzzy

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You are a lifesaver dude, thank you so much! I would prefer to play Pokémon GBA Versions as virtually injected, but this is is more than enough. I really appreciate you.

Do you know why gm9 dumps the saved file as half the file size than mGBA? @lone_wolf323

Reactions: lone_wolf323

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You are a lifesaver dude, thank you so much! I would prefer to play Pokémon GBA Versions as virtually injected, but this is is more than enough. I really appreciate you.

Do you know why gm9 dumps the saved file as half the file size than mGBA? @lone_wolf323
I am honestly not sure why it does it like that. Usually its corrected by adding 0000s as buffers to the hex program that you use to open it with. But I am not sure if thats the case here

daveraff

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey! I was attempting this but when I get back injecting the save, there is no .sav in my SD folder, I definitely have a save since I exported with agbasave.bin and tool a look on pkhex.

I tried just injecting it without navigating to the SD card but that didn't work either.

Have you got any idea where the .sav could be?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att did offer a $500gc tempting to use it for 6 months and cancel