Gaming How do YOU enjoy multiple pokemon playthroughs?

PyroSpark

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been trying to play pokemon yellow, but I want to play it with a few conveniences. I just started a yellow playthrough, so I'm thinking "Alright, gonna hack a few pokemon I can't get this early, and maybe a TM or 2 and start playing."

I ended up getting like 8 pokemon, a million tms, which led to me wasting an hour for a simple upgraded yellow experience.

So what do you guys do when you wanna play a "convenient" run?

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't play conveniently. All the way or none of the way. No half way playing.

However, to enjoy multiple playthroughs of the same Pokemon game, I impose challenges on myself. Maybe in that run, I won't catch any legendaries. Maybe I'll only catch one Pokemon per route/type/gym. Maybe I won't have an HM Slave. Maybe I will. Maybe I won't use the day care or hatch any eggs.

It all depends on my mood when I start that new game.

...however there WAS this one time when I used a friend's Gameshark... There was a rumor going around that stated Gamesharks could make the ultimate rare candy appear in your 5th item slot. And by ultimate rare candy, I mean one that boosts the Pokemon up a level and maxes out their stats. However, when I found that out to be bullshit I started my game over. Sure, I lost the legendary I had legitimately caught and the Eevee I had grown so close to... But I would rather have a game untainted by cheats than a tainted game, even if it did have the things I loved.

Reactions: 2 people

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always start off like, "I'M GONNA CATCH EM' ALL!!!" and after the 3rd gym I'm like, "OK I'M GONNA STICK WITH THESE 6 POKEMON!!", and by the 5th gym I'm like, "OK I'M GONNA FOCUS ON THIS ONE POKEMON!", and by Victory Road I'm like, "This is boring, time to play something else..."

Reactions: 5 people

DarkraiHunter

Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
I tried catching them all but..... version exclusives. ;__; and I don't like to trade....
I quit playing it when I beat the elite four once or twice.
But yeah, use pokesav if you want to. Although I don't suggest using any sort of unfair means in any pokemon game. Takes the fun out of it. :/

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Off topic but - I learnt my lesson on just training your starter (from Pokemon Ruby lol). I just massively trained my Sceptile and when I fought with Steven I was already like Lv92. I have no idea how I did it but I was at the verge of dying.

Well, normally I give up after defeating the champion (rematch if there's any). I don't give a damn about catching pokemon - maybe catch some rares/legends when I'm bored or go to the battle frontier or something like that.

Creqaw

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I usually just play the Japanese one first, it's fun. Second playthrough using the English version, even more fun and eventually just PokéSav/PokéGen cause Pokémon games are relatively boring. I don't really care about "Catch 'em all", just what's necessary to progress (HM slaves) I usually just stick to my starter and level the hell out of it with maybe 1 or 2 legendaries at base level for easy mode League.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always start off like, "I'M GONNA CATCH EM' ALL!!!" and after the 3rd gym I'm like, "OK I'M GONNA STICK WITH THESE 6 POKEMON!!", and by the 5th gym I'm like, "OK I'M GONNA FOCUS ON THIS ONE POKEMON!", and by Victory Road I'm like, "This is boring, time to play something else..."
Thats about how it goes.

saberjoy

Trophies
XP
Country
India
cant say this for yellow but you should try playing online matches with other people, this would certainly increase your satisfaction as you would be amazed at how hard it can be to beat another guy instead of crappy AI,i play multiplayer on pkmn white and i gotta tell you its tough especially with all those ev's and shit, but just pokegen those evs

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I find the best way to enjoy pokemon, is to not play it and instead remember how fun it was way back in the day.

That way I waste no time nor effort playing a re-release of essentially the same game I played on my gameboy colour when I was in elementary school. (bar shittier pokemon)

I_AM_BIB

The One and Only BiB
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What you should do is play it through once with NO cheats. Afterwards you know the storyline when you play it again and then use light cheats to level your pokemon about 10 more levels over than they should be, and sooner or later you'll be running around ready for anything but not cheating that much. It's actually quite fun. Just use rare candies.

RedJiggly

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Pokemon is extremely convenient. Especially the older games. I mean, you can get a Level 100 Mew just after beating Misty. No cheats needed at all.(for people who are interested: this would be the Mew Glitch combined with the Exp. Underflow glitch)

And also, the Dokokashira Door glitch. It lets you finish Red/Green in less than five minutes, by instantly teleporting to the Hall of Fame.

Of course, if you want to play newer games, they have extremely convenient glitches as well. For instance, pokemon is filled with cloning glitches wich can get you duplicate items(rare candies, master balls) very easily. And in Generation 4(Diamond, Pearl, Platinum) it is possible to skip large parts of the game by using Tweaking/traveling trough the Void, and catching high-leveled pokemon on the way. This became impossible in HeartGold/Soulsilver, but you can still tweak to go across the Tohjo Falls before having all badges.

And even in black and white there are some glitches that make life easier. The Skydrop glitch for instance, wich makes it impossible for opponents pokémon to attack, and there is the possibility of skipping some of the trainers in the gyms by walking on tiles wich should not be walkable.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/qv96JYhfAuA?si=_PN4PTWfj5BWI9wk