How do you travel after changing your name and with two passports?

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I recently legally changed my name and became a dual citizen.

Whenever I visited a foreign country they recorded my passport details and biometric data. I assume that I should bring my change of name certificate with me while travelling and attach it to visa applications in countries I have already been to.

When I go to the airport should I show both my passports or only the one I want to use? When I leave Australia it makes more sense to use my Australian passport or they'll ask why I don't have a visa. When I arrive in France it makes more sense to use my Spanish passport because both countries are in the European Union.

Reactions: The Catboy

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not a lawyer, much less world lawyer. Impressive score on dual nationality as well as that is easier said than done as an adult these days.

If you are attempting to use it for any kind of nefarious purposes, or indeed it looks like it, then it goes south very quickly. Swapping to passport of convenience effectively in the middle of a flight is also seriously frowned upon -- they, even the country of issuance (or area in case of the EU), like to know your comings and goings.

If you have booked anything under a certain name then you tend to have to use the matching one/have that with you along with relevant papers if any. Similarly if name change has happened it is useful to have all matching ones in all places. If you still retain old ones (they sometimes send them back corners cut off) then you can have the old and show the new.

People do get married and change name by deed poll (or local equivalent) all the time so there is plenty of precedent for things here.

There are some places that will refuse entry if you have stamps from somewhere else in your passport, Israel being the more notable for most. That said for those occasions you might be able to be issued a second passport for that country.

Short version outside of the Israel thing then take both, offer both (especially if one negates a visa) upon landing plus any papers.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
When I leave Australia it makes more sense to use my Australian passport or they'll ask why I don't have a visa. When I arrive in France it makes more sense to use my Spanish passport because both countries are in the European Union.
That's probably it, you found the best way. Not legal advice, but this is just making things go smoothly and easily.

Nothing to hide, your average person (even airport worker) may be confused if they see different names in your passports but nothing wrong with that, don't show them unless you need to, to reduce confusion.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do not contact a bunch of 12 year olds on a gaming forum for advice?

Well expect a French inspector if he show up with an Australian passport

Rush_hour3_4.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: duwen

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
When traveling to a foreign country, you will need to present a passport that is valid for travel. If you have multiple passports, you may use whichever passport you like, as long as it is valid.
That's not always the case (of course) - the USA requires citizens to enter using their US passport, even if you also have a Spanish passport that would be valid for entry.

Reactions: denaloss

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
uuuh... You have a different name in each passport?
Imagine if you are a citizen of Country A and Country B.
If Country A allows you to change your name (not all countries do) - then you can change your name.
You could then get a passport in your new name (or even gender I guess whilst your at it...) , and it won't match the name that Country B knows you by.
Simple.

There's no "Global ID Number", but that's where DNA and fingerprints kind of take over :D

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Note: I don't travel, so it's not based on personal experience! I'm also not working at borders.

Some answers above were very good, all depends whether you need visa or not based on the passport you use at the border check.
The concern here is more about the name change not matching your boarding pass, in case you show the passport without that change you'll have to justify having dual nationality (easy, just the other passport), and papers to prove the name change maybe, to confirm you are the same person.

You might also have to match the boarding pass with the correct passport, as it's read from the chipset.
See the information at the bottom of the passport (MRZ, Machine Readable Zone), it's the information the border is using to register and control your passport. if you use the wrong passport, you might have issue to print your boarding pass, or get on the plane.
So, for boarding you need to use the passport matching the name when you booked the travel with.
At arrival, you can show the passport you want and/or the one preventing you from having the need of a visa.
You might even have to prove you don't need a visa for your destination at the departure airport.

The best is to ask the embassy of the destination country. Though, some border staff might not always do their job as they should and will annoy you anyway, whatever the embassy told you.
You can also ask at the airport, they should be used to the cases.

Some countries have different laws and habits with last (family) name, when marrying, and people with dual citizenship also has that issue with Last name, not only with First names.
Some countries always keep their maiden name, some countries add both maiden and wed name on the passeport (usually in Europe), some countries (UK, and often east-european countries) will completely drop the maiden name, and they have to change their name on all official papers (even their kid's birth certificate, it's stating "the mother changed her name" etc.). AND some countries, it's the man who get the woman's name too !
So, I suppose border's officers are somewhat used to see different names on different passports. you just have to explain calmly ! :) Though, I've heard report from travelers saying that some Asian country borders didn't understand what "ep" (short for "spouse" in french) meant on their passport... so, it's not always easy.
Show the paper, explain the situation, all should be fine. You might have to keep the name change proof with you (paper, or on your phone, etc.).

(or even gender I guess whilst your at it...)
I did one today.
For the record, I work in France as Passport production service, so I see a lot of different cases.
And today, I got someone who had an official paper (birth certificate and decision from justice department) stating "This person will hereby be known as female" (even though that person didn't do any surgery and is still physically a man). She got a name change few months ago, but didn't have the right to be called a woman yet.

"Sex" mention on passport and identity card is a very bad tag and wrong data to use for identification.
It should be "gender" seeing France allows people having a different sex on their paper than their real current sex.
Or it should be ... nothing about sex or gender. just the name, birth date (and place even if that's also not important), a picture and that's all. We don't care if you are a man or women traveling in the plane... unless planes have safest seats for women in case of crash landing ? haha
Or different prices ? but that's probably me living in a free country who doesn't care about man and woman's differences. I guess it's a very different case in some countries or religious places etc. This is not the place to discuss that.

Impressive score on dual nationality as well as that is easier said than done as an adult these days.
I might have another opinion on that. I see a lot of people with dual (or more, even if it's rarer, but not as much as you think) nationality every day. But that's part of my job :P
But it's not that rare or difficult to get it. long process for sure, but not hard. In France, it's about 3 years long to get it from an adult asking for it. (not getting if from marriage with a French; which is a faster procedure)

Example of triple nationality :
British father, Italian mother, living in France and having a kid. the kid has both britsh and italian. The parents asks for French nationality because they lived here for years, kid has school in France, they all speak french and feel as French citizens. parents have both French and theirs, the kid get three of them.
Or a mixed couple traveling in USA and giving birth there... the kid is American by law at birth, but also has both their parent's nationality (as long as the birth is registered in each embassy for easiness).

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: cearp
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Nothing to hide, your average person (even airport worker) may be confused if they see different names in your passports but nothing wrong with that, don't show them unless you need to, to reduce confusion.
I changed my name first then became a dual citizen. Both passports are in my current name. I have a cancelled Australian passport in my previous name.

Reactions: Cyan and cearp

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
I don't think you did this legally. Having dual citizenship is illegal in many countries; I'm telling you this from my experience.
Some countries yes, some countries no.
Some countries yes, but only until you are a certain age.

There are many countries in the word, most of the developed/Western ones don't care if you're also a citizen from another country. I'm telling you this from my experience...!

The OP mentioned Spain and Australia, it's totally possible no laws are broken, don't be so skeptical.

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I don't think you did this legally. Having dual citizenship is illegal in many countries; I'm telling you this from my experience.
The rest of my family did it and never got in any trouble so I assumed it is legal. I'm not very inclined to listen to someone with only 2 posts and who hasn't provided any sources.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
The rest of my family did it and never got in any trouble so I assumed it is legal. I'm not very inclined to listen to someone with only 2 posts and who hasn't provided any sources.
And if you ever truly want to know (rather than just assuming), check the laws of your countries - most often public and online :)

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP

eh?

bots getting shitter by the day

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's a shame some people's cake always resort to the same taste