OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so a round of stomach viruses has blown (chunks) throughout my household.. I was not spared, so I've had to wait until I was better before I had the "stomach" to clean up anyone else's spew.

Result is: there's vomit stains on carpet, quilts, bedspreads, clothing, towels, pillows, furniture, etc... My main problem is the carpet.. most everything else I can just throw in the washing machine and pray over.. the carpet's a bitch though. Just getting it wet brings up the smell again and makes me queasy enough to vomit again.

Is there something that chemically counteracts that godawful smell for long enough for me to actually scrub this mess out? Baking soda? Vinegar? I'm looking for something that won't stain the (unfortunately light colored) carpet in the process.

Any help is appreciated, if you don't know, ask your mom.

mthrnite

So it goes.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
pyrmon24 said:
BURN THE MOTH3R FuCK3R!!!
Seriously, spare yourself, get another carpet.
That was obviously my first thought.. unfortunately not an option at this point. BTW, if that was your mom's suggestion, I'd like to meet your mom.

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Scrub the piss out of it with a very small amount of dish soap and water. If you have a rug shampooer give it a go over with that after the soap and water. Then get yourself some frebreeze and you should be good to go.

I'm not sure how it is were your living but around my area alot of grocery store rent rug shampooers.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They do make a kind of stuff to counter the smell of vomit, but I can't rem what it's called. I know it exists because I've used it before when I worked at a movie theater years ago. You might be able to find it at one of those food supply places that supply stuff to stores.

mthrnite

So it goes.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
431unknown: I think I'll go the shampooer route, I recall seeing them at grocery stores too once upon a time.. actually I bet there's a dirt-devil equivalent that wouldn't be too expensive, I may check the department stores for something like that instead, could be a good investment.

I've had this problem before, but wasn't sick myself at the time so wasn't in danger of horking up my stomach lining like I am this time. I'm gonna douse it with baking soda for the moment and see if that helps at all.

Rayder.. is it that pink stuff that the school janitors use, idunno what that's called either.

edit: Oh, and pyrmon, not an option because I'd have to move all furniture, tear up a nailed down wall-to-wall carpet, etc... I just don't have the energy, I've been sick as a dog and I'm barely over it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Light coloured carpet and children?

Anyhow I personally like the stuff they aim at cat vomit- you might still have to go in for a round of carpet shampoo later for stains but the smell should be gone unless you stick your nose right in it.

Option 2- I have seen half decent dust masks go for next to nothing (or in this case about $20) these last couple of years (proper air filtration jobs- probably not something I would trust to hold up for long in an actual situation but certainly good enough for this and will be nicer than using some piece of junk paper mask next time you come to build something). I have thankfully been spared this one but the builders I know that do reclaim jobs (nightmare students/tenants, squatters, stray animals and the like or worse) swear by them.

Option 3- Stick a bunch of Olbas Oil (or some similar "cough remedy" type thing- if it is heading towards making your eyes stream you are there) on a rag and tie it onto your face. Option 3.5 would be find a "bad" smell but one that is just annoying- kids stink bombs work.

mthrnite

So it goes.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Fast: counteracting the smell with a different strong smell might be just the ticket.. sounds bloody brilliant on paper anyway. It's mainly the "trigger effect" of smelling "that smell" that is giving me the problem. Maybe a cheap dust mask, which I have on hand, rubbed with a bit of peppermint oil or something... will try.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, wish me luck, here I go.

QUOTE said:
Light coloured carpet and children?
I know, right?

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I always get stuck with puke clean up. My wife with gag and blow at the slightest smell of chunks. My kid blew all over his bedroom a few weeks ago at like 2AM. I has up to my elbows in spew till 3AM. Not very pleasant but what can you do.

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Vomit stains? Put furniture on top of it... NOBODY WILL EVER KNOW

Or go to a profesional cleaning shop and ask there. They should have some strong spot remover, what you do is spray it, soak for about 20sec then grab a teatowel and a hot iron, put the teatowel over the spot and iron it with lots of steam. The spot remover will loosen up the particles and the heat/steam will make the particles move, the teatowel will soak it up.. done deal
smile.gif

mthrnite

So it goes.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
431unknown said:
I always get stuck with puke clean up. My wife with gag and blow at the slightest smell of chunks. My kid blew all over his bedroom a few weeks ago at like 2AM. I has up to my elbows in spew till 3AM. Not very pleasant but what can you do.
Exactly.. I'm a single dad with two kids, so it always comes down to me. Usually I can take it, but we had a really rough stomach virus come through the house and no one was spared.. I swear there's vomit in every single room in the house. One of my boys started vomiting and ran through the house WHILE he was vomiting to find me and tell me he was vomiting... the bathroom is right next to his bedroom.. of course.

mthrnite

So it goes.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
GundamXXX said:
Vomit stains? Put furniture on top of it... NOBODY WILL EVER KNOW
LMAO
QUOTE(GundamXXX @ Dec 23 2010, 12:54 PM) Or go to a profesional cleaning shop and ask there. They should have some strong spot remover, what you do is spray it, soak for about 20sec then grab a teatowel and a hot iron, put the teatowel over the spot and iron it with lots of steam. The spot remover will loosen up the particles and the heat/steam will make the particles move, the teatowel will soak it up.. done deal
smile.gif
Excellent, more brilliance, thank you!

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
(From my mother)

Rub in detergent over the stains leave it for a few mins.
About 1/5 vinegar to 4/5 warm water, rub over the stain till it's gone.
Then use warm water to get rid of the vinegar.

Hope it helps
wink.gif

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
mthrnite said:
431unknown said:
Exactly.. I'm a single dad with two kids, so it always comes down to me. Usually I can take it, but we had a really rough stomach virus come through the house and no one was spared.. I swear there's vomit in every single room in the house. One of my boys started vomiting and ran through the house WHILE he was vomiting to find me and tell me he was vomiting... the bathroom is right next to his bedroom.. of course.

rofl.gif

My son did that once when he was 3. Kids gotta love'm.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Pi said:
(From my mother)

Rub in detergent over the stains leave it for a few mins.
About 1/5 vinegar to 4/5 warm water, rub over the stain till it's gone.
Then use warm water to get rid of the vinegar.

Hope it helps
wink.gif

I support this comment.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If all else fails, mix bleach and ammonia.
Will it get rid of the stains?....well, it'll certainly change the color of the carpet.
Will it cover up the smell? Ohhh yeah.
Will you give a damn about the vomit stains after using it? Hell no. You might even feel like adding a few more of your own to the rug.

Okay, don't actually do that. Ammonium chloride is nothing to fuck around with.
But my mom once thought it would be a great solution to remove mildew from a wooden door in my tiny bedroom, so she had me mix and utilize it.

She may have been trying to kill the "bad child"....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @genistopitauniverfrocrami, What drugs is this dude on?
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    CRAZY HAMBURGER
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @NinStar both nes remix 1 and 2 had some stinkers in there
    +1
    but at least 2 doesn't have sports games
    loved nes remix, but hated having to play Baseball, Tennis and Golf in order to progress
    +1
    or fucking Clu Clu Land for that matter
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Not a big fan of NES kid Icarus either... I know it was popular but I didn't care for it.
    Yesterday I learned my BD Burner drive can burn CD's at 56X lol
  • cearp @ cearp:
    What stuff were you burning?
    I used to burn tons of dvds (data files) many years ago, but haven't burnt a disk in ages.
    My car actually reads MP3 CD's lol
    So mix CDs for myselt :)
    Pantera, Metallica, Hollywood Undead, Five Finger Death Punch, some others lol
    I can put like 90 songs on a CD lol
    if only it could read dvds then you would just need 1 disc
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i tell ya what, i could go for a fuckin gyro right about now
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    I hope your brother is doing ok Mr BakerMan
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    and Psi - I had a cd player / radio that played mp3 cds once, very cool
    +1
    BakerMan yeah me too.... maybe that's gonna be dinner for me there is this place near me I have been dying to try and they have them lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I miss usb mp3 players they were shit but at the time a go to
    @The Real Jdbye, I thought about that and I have blank DVD's and Blurays but honestly after like 90 songs I just listen to it a couple of hundred times toss it out and burn something else or have like 2-3 CD's. Florida here the heat in the car tends to ruin the CD's after like a few months even commercial pressed ones don't last too long.
    my music collection is just too big, i require variety
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: my music collection is just too big, i require variety