Hacking How fares the Tales of Rebirth PSP/PS2 translation these days?

ArtemisM

Kupo for Kupo Nuts
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish the Tales Of translation community wasn't so dramatic and pretentious these days :( Was all of that necessary? Not pointing fingers, but cut it out yall.

Kart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
You're doing a cool thing and I applaud you for it, but there's no reason to act like this. This is a niche game in a niche series in a niche genre. Tales of isn't marketed well in the west and honestly, aside from 3 or 4 titles the games don't have a wide appeal. That being said for the people who do like this we respect and support people who are willing to use their time and skills to do what namco won't. There's not too many people who can even help you with this, or even know of the existence of a translation project for rebirth. Especially now that everything is hidden away in private discords.
There is a translated script:
I rememer times when i was printing this script on A4 paper in atempt to play the game on psp 10 years ago xD
Well...it was at some lvl pretty normal though i had feeling that some dialogues was from wrong persons at some point. In any case i was able to play like this for a few hours and then realised that i'm wasting WAY too much paper on this and there satill way to go.

moonblood666

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I've written a little JavaFX app that basically parses the available translation script at gamefaqs (but just main story and skits) and displays dialogue line by dialogue line and displays it in a text bubble. Similar to the Trails of Cold Steel IV overlay mod. Works pretty well in tandem with PPSSPP so far. A circle press moves the in game bubble and also the app bubble forward to the next line. It's still a quick and dirty implementation but if there is interest I might put more work into it to make it more serviceable.

project.png

Last edited by moonblood666,

moonblood666

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
How does it work? Hook to PPSSPP?

It's just an external application you run and place the window wherever you like on the screen. Text advance one line/move back one line is currently bound to UP/DOWN on the keyboard but I use the key binding tool antimicro to bind the UP key to the circle button of my controller. The app can be "paused" with CTRL (or whatever controller button I like to bind it to) so that you don't accidentally advance the text when in battle or doing stuff outside of the main story scenes or Skits. Sometimes the bubble gets out off sync when it displays a town name and such, so it's necessary to manually press the text advance button again. It also saves the current position within the script after each text advance.

It works basically like the before mentioned overlay mod for Trails of Cold Steel 3/4.

moonblood666

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well, either way. I'm not sure if I can get hold of the author of the translation script to ask for permission. So it all hinges on that basically. For now I'm playtesting it with the transparent implementation of an undecorated window, see if there are any unforeseen issues. Perhaps I'll release the thing within the week or so, I don't see any reason to make it more convoluted than necessary.

project.png

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Well, either way. I'm not sure if I can get hold of the author of the translation script to ask for permission. So it all hinges on that basically. For now I'm playtesting it with the transparent implementation of an undecorated window, see if there are any unforeseen issues. Perhaps I'll release the thing within the week or so, I don't see any reason to make it more convoluted than necessary.

View attachment 189825
If author is MIA, maybe it won't hurt anybody if we (you) use his work

moonblood666

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Does anyone know which text font the newer Tales of games like Berseria use for in-game text? Trying to find the most pleasing font to use.

moonblood666

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I see... Well, I decided to go the extra mile and additionally "subtitle" the main menu because the main story alone without at least having the basic menu elements translated makes no sense for a Tales of game (especially for the Artes). I'm aiming for a state machine approach since my application doesn't hook into PPSSPP but runs independently... but the more I think about it the more I think that learning how to replace the specific strings in the game itself would be easier (especially since almost all the menu elements are already fan translated in gamefaqs guides).

LegendOfAB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see... Well, I decided to go the extra mile and additionally "subtitle" the main menu because the main story alone without at least having the basic menu elements translated makes no sense for a Tales of game (especially for the Artes). I'm aiming for a state machine approach since my application doesn't hook into PPSSPP but runs independently... but the more I think about it the more I think that learning how to replace the specific strings in the game itself would be easier (especially since almost all the menu elements are already fan translated in gamefaqs guides).

Either way I'm rooting for you, man. I think stuff like this is pretty awesome.

ManusiaSalju

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia

View attachment 189825
Great, subtitler like this can help too. Hope you can release it

moonblood666

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
As it turns out the menu overlay is much harder to implement than anticipated. Static elements were easy to implement but the Artes menu seems to be the biggest problem so far. The problem is: I have no idea how the Artes menu or rather its layout changes throughout the game. When you start a game you only have one column of arts, I assume these are base artes. But on screenshots of the menu I've seen the artes list having two columns all of a sudden.

I really need a lategame save to get this done properly. Can anyone provide such save or explain the layout of the artes menu to me?

As an estimate for when its done: I'm working slowly but surely on the project and can't tell when it's done. RL and work make it hard to find the right balance. The idea is to write the classes and methods to parse the translation guide text and generate textboxes/textbubbles in a way that I could theoretically re-use them for other similar projects. As far as I know such a thing has never been done, an interactive translation walkthrough application so to speak, so I'm really motivated. But I didn't expect it to be this much work tbh.

Last edited by moonblood666,

ShiningOrpheus

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
As it turns out the menu overlay is much harder to implement than anticipated. Static elements were easy to implement but the Artes menu seems to be the biggest problem so far. The problem is: I have no idea how the Artes menu or rather its layout changes throughout the game. When you start a game you only have one column of arts, I assume these are base artes. But on screenshots of the menu I've seen the artes list having two columns all of a sudden.

I really need a lategame save to get this done properly. Can anyone provide such save or explain the layout of the artes menu to me?

As an estimate for when its done: I'm working slowly but surely on the project and can't tell when it's done. RL and work make it hard to find the right balance. The idea is to write the classes and methods to parse the translation guide text and generate textboxes/textbubbles in a way that I could theoretically re-use them for other similar projects. As far as I know such a thing has never been done, an interactive translation walkthrough application so to speak, so I'm really motivated. But I didn't expect it to be this much work tbh.
Well there are tons of save files in GameFAQs (don't know if i can post them here)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://stockanalysis.com/stocks/ntdoy/market-cap/ I think they'll be alright