Hardware Hacking ROM Hack Emulation Homebrew game Translation MapleStory DS English Translation Project 2022 > Wii U Port

Mortjsf

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
United States
Hello Everyone!

I wanted to drop a Wii U post since I have been a gbatemp ghost for a while.

Wii U Release:
English Wii-U WAD Patch
UPDATED DOWNLOAD

Credit to Pretend-Radish4753 for sending a secondary finished port Edo1989 + Secondary Patches (Verified by Boblers).

All you need to do is click the corresponding link, 7zip to unzip the Maplestory folder to the root of your SD, load up tiramisu, start Mii Maker(homebrew launcher) load wupinstallergx and install Maplestory on your Wii U.

So I ported the best version of a Maplestory DS translation currently available to the Wii U, as well as sifted through this other Maplestory Thread, as well as the Redsnail 4.0 Thread among a few other sites for this game.

I could not figure out This Maplestory DS thread so I ported This one.

I have opened multiple Maplestory JAP and KOR .nds files in Nitro Explorer, however I got violently lost and ended up with a few unusable text rom edits within a few hours of tinkering leading to nothing but useless unbootable nds repacked files <I screwed with a lot inside these files trying to patch what isn't over to english via a few different methods>. I have extensive knowledge about rom hacking but translation is where I get lost, as multiple cross calls are made and language crossing over from both (even with the google translation) are fairly difficult. I've been waiting on the Maple Translation team to finish their pending translation post so I can recreate this post with an updated port.

I believe I have two different (albeit one poorly translated) google-translated-ran romsets that I put through the UWUVCI
The resulting files are what I would like to post, but cant due to restrictions, however I believe I can post the WUP files...

Both WUP Files Require a Modded Wii U: Tutorial Here or Tutorial Here with Extra Information Here
-They also require wupinstallergx to be installed (should be included in the tutorials)-

With my own modded Wii U both ports below to work properly from game start to finish.

1)) (Korean to Chinese with the menus from Chinese to English)
[Story shows destinations and character names in highlighted English]

2)) ( Japanese to English)
[Everything mostly in broken english with broken encoding in the storyline {{has [/n] showing up everywhere, rare instances of characters not translating in odd places}}]

According to this thread we aren't supposed to be posting 7 zips of full roms or supposedly its contents to this website, however what I have isn't specifically a rom, and was never released in the USA, and I am not posting it to here, I'm posting it to another website to host it and linking it here.

DOWNLOAD 1:
Click here for the WUP files

This game inject I posted above uses this threads patch already pre-applied as it seems to be the best version of the translations currently available.

#Warning# #Uses a pre-selected WarioWare Touched! as a channel forwarder#
If you have Wario Ware Touched! on your Wii U, or another ds game already installed using Wario Ware Touched! as a forwarder, and you attempt to install this file to NAND it could potentially result in a brick.
I wont be held responsible for misuse.
Please Backup NAND prior to install.
File has only been tested installing to USB via latest USB loader GX on Tiramisu 5.5.5U

DOWNLOAD 2:

Click Here for Google Translated Files (Got a request for this)

This Is the Google Translated story version (Japanese to English Google Translate) and is what I am using to get through the first Wii U port story easier, even though its still broken english, I ran this file through a patch I found between the redsnail project and the most current releases.

#Warning# #Uses a pre-selected Yoshi's Island DS! as a channel forwarder#
>Same warning applies as the first download<

Because Download 2 is actually far newer then the other I would like to give proper credit to Blagoicons for the icon, and Bruce00 over at myinstants for the level up sounds for both. I also would like to credit White for the maplestory screenshot, not sure how this was originally ripped and posted but it's the furthest back tin eye I could find for the photo.

Ds Release:
I would say you need the first file to get through the second file if you don't speak Chinese or Japanese, but I guess people have maxed all the characters already. If someone can figure out how to get the saves onto the Wii U, and subsequently back off it via a tool it would help quite a lot, but as far as I am aware there isn't a way to import/export the save data easily through the virtual console yet.

> Special DS Romhack Version 1 Release *Includes Save FIles From Edo1989* <
>Special DS Romhack Version 2 Release *Includes 100% Save FIles From Ereb*<
*Special Thank You To Both!!!

Both of these are for DS, or for creating your own Maplestory Injection with the [/n] file with different icons and boot sound.
The first is with a save file with a level 99 Warrior max mesos, the second with a savefile of Level 50 Warrior, Theif, and Bowman and a Level 42 Magician.

This could be used as a tool for further translation, I just need one consolidated place for everything so far, so thank you to the GBA temp mods for allowing this post to remain up. #Dedicated to this English Patch#

Credit to the below names for the previous translation projects as they helped achieve such a file:
GBA Temp
Maple Translation Team
DarkFrost
Darthnemesis
Clashthunder-clashthund
Sedicius
Hiraoka Monoru
Skyline969
Darksage098
Elixrdream (ap patch)
Twiztidsinz (graphics)
WillTheLion
Haust
Edo1989
Arithmatics
NicoAICP
Teconmoon

CatmanFan
Kafluke
Maschell
& of course Nexon

Special thanks to this forum & its corresponding threads.

I did some deep diving, and apparently the 3ds version of Maplestory is 100% translated as well.

HOWEVER the Wii U does not have 3ds emulation so I am going to be forced with the massive project of going the re-writing/re-encoding route unless someone has a way to convert 3ds files to a nds format which as far as I know doesn't exist anywhere.

I am currently trying to figure out a way though to convert the 3ds files to a 2ds.nds format to see if I can get the game ported backwards because I believe both games deserve it, so any help with where to start with this would be appreciated. I know the game would run with lag, however I believe there might be a way around this via the current Wii U emulation on the console by editing the games 3d layering down to 2d images and then editing the ram and cpu allocation for the virtual DS allowing it to run at a passable speed.

For this I think I need to start with a game dump, or maybe researching porting tools but my knowledge so far is only related to gba/gbc/ds so I have little knowledge where to start for Wii U and how to translate what's in my brain over from one architecture from another but I know it is going to be a technical feat of engineering.

The end goal of this project is to achieve a working English Maplestory DS version 1 and 2 both onto the same Wii u, eventually creating my own Maplestory game for Wii U from the ground up, and taking original v65 game assets to essentially rebuild v65 (or something as close as I can get to it) on the Wii U, with the gamepad acting as the world map, as well as inventory features commonly seen on the ds.

Eventually, someday into the future, on a blue moon, when I actually have a team, I would like to also look into:
Hosting a private server connectable via in game menus
Adding a free market map
Increasing level cap to 200
Implementing a rebirth system via npc editing
Buddy system
Bossfight & Multiplayer support
Zoom support
Additional game sprites/monsters (filling monster book)
New characters and skills
A reintroduction/reimagining of multi-screen gamepad support features
(or at least a 854x480 patch for the gamepad) (Selectable map hiding and two screen map support)
Second Gamepad Support Via This Post
Porting either or both Ds (3/4 done) and 3ds (not currently possible) editions to Wii U file formats

If successful with this we might be able to even maple together via local or even an online homebrew connection.

I know this is currently a large task, however I have seen crazier tasks taken on.

This is the dream, the adventure is what makes it possible!

Currently working on 100% English Translation Multiplayer Wii U Patch

Anyways, cheers!
Thank you for reading my post!
Happy Gaming!!!

*The first 3 Images below are of my own personal savefile running on the second Romhack.
**The video below is an example of the Google Translated Rom State so far
***Then the attached Wii U video to show gamepad map working, and boot sound (First Download)
****A photo of loading up the savestate with the current translation rom and saves
*****The below attached images are of the Special DS Romhack Version 2 file pre-port on an R4 on an original DS.
This is what the Second Download is built off of.
Snapchat-1566684391.jpg
Snapchat-1330352085.jpg
Snapchat-1858739342.jpg

Attachments

• Snapchat-1679978794.jpg
    Snapchat-1679978794.jpg
    648.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Snapchat-158794638.jpg
    Snapchat-158794638.jpg
    886.4 KB · Views: 90
  • Snapchat-200475972.jpg
    Snapchat-200475972.jpg
    841.7 KB · Views: 103
  • Snapchat-396006718.jpg
    Snapchat-396006718.jpg
    873.3 KB · Views: 97
  • Snapchat-657013087.jpg
    Snapchat-657013087.jpg
    869.7 KB · Views: 104
  • Snapchat-686020364.jpg
    Snapchat-686020364.jpg
    624.1 KB · Views: 96
  • Snapchat-811347195.jpg
    Snapchat-811347195.jpg
    880.9 KB · Views: 109
  • Snapchat-1815930990.jpg
    Snapchat-1815930990.jpg
    805.6 KB · Views: 102
  • Snapchat-1872335198.jpg
    Snapchat-1872335198.jpg
    824.8 KB · Views: 101
  • Snapchat-1908596794.jpg
    Snapchat-1908596794.jpg
    763.7 KB · Views: 101
  • Snapchat-1945366037.jpg
    Snapchat-1945366037.jpg
    745.5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited by Mortjsf,

Mortjsf

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
United States
Wish me luck!! 🍻
Take it!!!
MV5BZTc1YTdmZjItZDAxMi00M2E0LWI0N2EtZDgxNmZhYTU1YzcwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMyOTk3OTY3._V1_.jpg
Take My Luck!!!

With the DeepL you've done I assume the files I posted are ones already in your possession, I didn't see until now that you probably are on a slightly further path then I am and have browsed the same websites and ran the same programs in tandem that I have. I would like to see if maybe DeepL has improved as of today, or propose maybe a variation in the .nds files? Maybe running it through Google Translate via a different machine or maybe running it again now would run less errors when reproducing the resulted file? Wasn't there a post a LONG time ago on how to do this process and what specifically it does to a .nds file?

Last edited by Mortjsf,

edo1989

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Take it!!!Take My Luck!!!

With the DeepL you've done I assume the files I posted are ones already in your possession, I didn't see until now that you probably are on a slightly further path then I am and have browsed the same websites and ran the same programs in tandem that I have. I would like to see if maybe DeepL has improved as of today, or propose maybe a variation in the .nds files? Maybe running it through Google Translate via a different machine or maybe running it again now would run less errors when reproducing the resulted file? Wasn't there a post a LONG time ago on how to do this process and what specifically it does to a .nds file?

Compared the result on 'story text' between Kor and Jap, Korean has better result. So, I decided to use Korean as base for all text translation and Jap for support, just in case.

Btw, DeepL has very good machine translation for JAP but doesn't have KOR, and the biggest factor is it has a lot slower processing time than google or Microsoft.

Since google API has limited function for free user, so I took Microsoft for translating all text files.

And here I am, still proofreading and fixing playthrough dialog text.

Mortjsf

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
United States
Compared the result on 'story text' between Kor and Jap, Korean has better result. So, I decided to use Korean as base for all text translation and Jap for support, just in case.

Btw, DeepL has very good machine translation for JAP but doesn't have KOR, and the biggest factor is it has a lot slower processing time than google or Microsoft.

Since google API has limited function for free user, so I took Microsoft for translating all text files.

And here I am, still proofreading and fixing playthrough dialog text.
Yeah but at least you are doing it the proper way and with the full available reference files currently out, which beats doing a half edit like we currently have. The save files excite me, I was browsing through the story on both since I couldn't figure out how to clear things myself, and some of the late game boss battles are actually really fun to just jump into with stacked characters.

I remember back in the day when the scene was just excited over the .nds dump and when they first dropped the redsnail post.
I wish I understood both, so I could just rewrite the file from the ground up myself, but I would rather a proper translation since I would totally mess with and recreate an edit of the entire story if I had the ability to since I can't translate. A fan made English Maplestory that is funnier then the Redsnail post would be hilarious

@edo1989 I came across this tool, maybe it could be of some further use to you?

Also I have limited knowledge on this but maybe you know...
This is a very off question, any chance there is a known way to repack decrypted and edited .cia files into a decrypted .nds shell?
Maybe a .cia to .nds converter for decrypted files even?
I assume it would be extract, and re-shell similar to what these injectors out right now do for the Wii U but maybe 3ds is too powerful for Wii U to attempt to emulate a 3ds.nds repacked on its virtual console?

The reason I ask is I'm trying to port the other Maplestory 3ds game to Wii U and I cant get my current file to successfully boot in the VC with injection

Last edited by Mortjsf,

edo1989

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Yeah but at least you are doing it the proper way and with the full available reference files currently out, which beats doing a half edit like we currently have. The save files excite me, I was browsing through the story on both since I couldn't figure out how to clear things myself, and some of the late game boss battles are actually really fun to just jump into with stacked characters.

I remember back in the day when the scene was just excited over the .nds dump and when they first dropped the redsnail post.
I wish I understood both, so I could just rewrite the file from the ground up myself, but I would rather a proper translation since I would totally mess with and recreate an edit of the entire story if I had the ability to since I can't translate. A fan made English Maplestory that is funnier then the Redsnail post would be hilarious

@edo1989 I came across this tool, maybe it could be of some further use to you?

Also I have limited knowledge on this but maybe you know...
This is a very off question, any chance there is a known way to repack decrypted and edited .cia files into a decrypted .nds shell?
Maybe a .cia to .nds converter for decrypted files even?
I assume it would be extract, and re-shell similar to what these injectors out right now do for the Wii U but maybe 3ds is too powerful for Wii U to attempt to emulate a 3ds.nds repacked on its virtual console?

The reason I ask is I'm trying to port the other Maplestory 3ds game to Wii U and I cant get my current file to successfully boot in the VC with injection
I'm sorry I don't know about these, I don't have both hardware.

Afaik, perhaps it's a hardware limitation. Maybe you will get better luck with 3ds for Switch via Retrofan.

Mortjsf

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
United States
3ds for Switch via Retrofan
Retrofan backwards emulation via Retroarch is probably what I'm looking for then...
I think I need to acquire a 3ds bios and see if I can get any kind of emulator.
The 3ds Maplestory was supposedly not very cpu intensive compared to other 3ds titles so I will let you know what I find on this.

MirorB_Sees_All

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3 out of the 4 links are dead/no longer working unfortunately...

Maplestory_DS_100_7z
Maplestory_English_Chapter_6_Warrior_Edit_Ds_7z
_WUP_Maplestory_DS_English_Translation_2_7z

Reactions: Mortjsf

Mortjsf

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
United States
BUMP! & Thank you!

This Community helped achieve a 100% Translation Patch for the Wii U!
According to this reddit thread there was a complete personal patch floating around.
We were able to get in posession of it for Archival.

Credit for the finished Rom being sent goes to:
Pretend-Radish4753

If there is other credit due not listed after testing the rom it will be updated in the OP under the list when completion of a Wii U savefile has been met and exported.

All Links Have Been Updated to Latest Edition.
New Hosting Provider.
Single file download to uncomplicate things.
Pm me If you have any issues.

Last edited by Mortjsf,

Boblers

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey uh, I'm fairly sure this new "100%" patch is actually just an old version of edo1989's WIP translation patch, which means it is not actually complete. Here's my evidence:
  • When we start up the patched rom from Radish, there's a splash screen with edo1989's name and avatar, saying that edo made the patch.
  • edo's most recent patch, 0.6.3, includes a changelog for what was changed compared to 0.6.2. Several of the lines listed are dialogue from the Warrior path. If we start up the patched rom from Radish and start the Warrior path, the dialogue matches the 0.6.2 version.
I think we've been fooled. Or at least, Radish misunderstood the progress of the patch they were using.

Mortjsf

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey uh, I'm fairly sure this new "100%" patch is actually just an old version of edo1989's WIP translation patch, which means it is not actually complete. Here's my evidence:
  • When we start up the patched rom from Radish, there's a splash screen with edo1989's name and avatar, saying that edo made the patch.
  • edo's most recent patch, 0.6.3, includes a changelog for what was changed compared to 0.6.2. Several of the lines listed are dialogue from the Warrior path. If we start up the patched rom from Radish and start the Warrior path, the dialogue matches the 0.6.2 version.
I think we've been fooled. Or at least, Radish misunderstood the progress of the patch they were using.
Just confirmed this when loaded onto my personal archival unit, it is among a patchlist of already-been-released patches, however it seems to be more complete then the one previously listed for port through the prior links on here.
The previous patch listed only contained a "Completeable semi-patch" of the titles in the OP (somewhere around 70-80% patched).

Links eventually broke from 2022, so as of 05/08/23 this is considered the most current English Wii-U port listed, unless someone can get their hands on a direct translated copy, or an archive of the old files. I have to export my wad back to IA since my links got taken out... Edo1989 as of the last time I heard was still in the midst of sifting through two different translations trying to interpret the remainder of the storyline, as there are some weird dialogue moments, and other odd menu things that dont directly translate easily.

Updated OP to give you credit for pointing that out though, as I jumped to conclusions before testing the wad myself

Last edited by Mortjsf,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto