Gaming how long do you think my psu will last?

elimist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A few months ago, I decided that my 5 year old desktop needs to be updated. First I reformatted my hdd and installed win7 ultimite 64 bit to replace the 32 bit broken xp media center that kept crashing. Then I added 2x512mb ram to my 2x1gb filling all the slots. I also got an ati hd 5770 to replace my motherboard's "graphics accelarator" . When I asked on a few forums about the power requirements of the 5770, everyone told me to get a new psu because my current one is a 300w hp power supply that came with my pc. I dont like shutting it down so it usually runs 24 7 unless I have to reboot to install something so I guess that my psu became 250w or something for running so long. So I Just plugged it the graphics card and connected it with a 2x 4pin molex to 6pin 12v cable. I was going to get a new power supply in a few days but I kept slacking untill the weeks became months but my pc was still stable . I never ran any stress testing because I am afraid that it will fry my psu but I was able to overclock my graphics card from 850 to 900 mhz and run it for a few days continuously at 100%. So do you think I really need a new power supply? And if I get another 300w psu, can I plug one of my 4pin molex connectors into my old one so that they share the load from my graphics card?

Lee79

Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Minimum recommended PSU for the 5770 card is 450W according to ATi>http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/gra...quirements.aspx, So I would not expect it to last to long. It might work fine at the moment but you are pushing the limits and stressing your PSU. You would have to buy one with a minimum of 450w I recommend this one>http://www.ebuyer.com/product/135159 If you don't want to spend much.

Q. if I get another 300w psu, can I plug one of my 4pin molex connectors into my old one so that they share the load from my graphics card?
A. No it would not work without Modding the second PSU and playing around with Electricty is not a wise thing to do if you don't know what you are doing.

Just noticed you are in the US what about this one> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...1-031-_-Product

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I had a look at the newegg link you provided and the 3 reviews it shows (without looking into detail) all say DoA. Might be better to look elsewhere.

CustomPC recommend a Corsair CX400W for their budget build, which uses a HD5770. 400W doesn't quite match up to the above mentioned 450W power requirement, but I don't think your computer will use 450W anyway. The HD5770 only uses 22-115W (based on reference specs - OEM specific models may use more), and the MoBo/CPU/RAM usually only takes up around 80-150W. After that add 10W per HDD/ODD and you'll find you have plenty of power to spare. Fans also take up 2-5W, but I don't imagine your computer will have that many fans.

Something worth mentioning is that having a more powerful PSU doesn't necessarily mean it'll take more power from the wall. Generally it only ever takes 5-20% more power from the wall than the computer actually uses (calculated by the sum of its parts), depending on the PSU rated efficiency. Also, the more powerful the PSU, the more efficiently and reliably it can handle low power ratings. In this sense (and if you ever plan a future upgrade) it's a good idea to go for a 500W PSU.

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
You're living on the edge of all your hardware. Also the edge of your PSU. That PSU should be able to keep the 5770 running, and the rest of your system too, but I wouldn't count on it to last very long. Especially since you're leaving your computer on all week. The reason ATI recommends 450 watt is because they don't know the brand of your PSU and the rest of your system specifications. Most level A brand power supplies are able to continuously give the amount of watt which they're supposed to give, according to the box. However, if you've got a low level PSU, they might not even give half of what they're supposed to.
I think upgrading to a better PSU is your best option, if you want your computer to last more than 6 months.

elimist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well I guess I do need another psu but it dosent look like any of those will fit in my tiny case so I will never get around to closing the case.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If you're choosing a new psu be sure to pick one with a high rating amp on the 12V rail, your graphics card and cpu will require it. Overall wattage means nothing if this isn't high enough. Psu efficiency is also another thing to take into consideration.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/Y9WKPRUjNQ4?si=raUf8jEiET8rmH2P