Hacking Question How much for the next CFW 7.0? According to your experience?

kkcheong

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Probably never. Nintendo is getting good at this. Remember we think switch is unpatchable? Guess what? IPatch. Now with 7.0, finally Nintendo make it hard for cfw. Though m scires might able to find way to do it.

wiewiec

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So yes, that is my question. According to you guys experience, how much more time should we wait until a new custom firmware is available?

Mostly I want to know about SX OS, because I bought a Switch with SX OS on it, and I updated exactly on the same day the 7.0 update was going live! (I wanted to update to 6.2) I forgot to check this forum full of pirate friends ;)

So, how much has taken in the past?

Thank you all and take care.

How much? I'll buy that for a dollar!

Usually before update, hackers have info about it digging on Ninty's servers. So you must wait for the leak about it. But I recomend waiting till for example Xecuter say OK about update. For now I passed few updates since I am not playing online and use my carts.
Have nice day!

k-key

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
They are updating the CFW in such a way as not to reveal exploits deluding themselves that someone else or some white hat or Nintendo will not discover the trick anyway. Maybe it will take more time but still...
Also the fact 7.0 was hacked in less time than 6.2 (2 hours vs 4 days) with the previous exploit patched means that they had the new method already ready. And I'm sure they have another one ready so I don't understand why create all this secrecy now. Maybe they no longer have exploits. (hint: no).

peke

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I have a switch on 6.2 waiting to tx sx yo release a 7.0 update to play again online....but maybe i'm missing something (like emunand and the chance to play online right now)....any help?

TerraPhantm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably never. Nintendo is getting good at this. Remember we think switch is unpatchable? Guess what? IPatch. Now with 7.0, finally Nintendo make it hard for cfw. Though m scires might able to find way to do it.
The hold up is they don't want to burn their method of getting the keys.

Too bad someone who isn't as uptight about copyrights doesn't just post the keys to pastebin.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Too bad someone who isn't as uptight about copyrights doesn't just post the keys to pastebin.

The truth is that copyright law doesn't protect something as trivial and unartistic as a key anyway. You can't own a number, no matter how long it is.

You might arguable violate the DMCA, but then so would atmosphere. With the DMCA you don't own the number, but you can protect against someone saying that the number is the key. But the key calculation in atmosphere would also be illegal, or in fact any change to atmosphere to allow it to boot.

Last edited by smf,
Reactions: thuggothic

TerraPhantm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The truth is that copyright law doesn't protect something as trivial and unartistic as a key anyway. You can't own a number, no matter how long it is.

You might arguable violate the DMCA, but then so would atmosphere.
I'm aware, but the powers that be decided sharing keys is more immoral than all the other crap we do, so we're stuck in this cat and mouse game of burning exploits.

Reactions: TPMJB

MasterZoilus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sometime in the next 24 to 8760 hours.
You forgot to carry the 1 and is that number for a year with feb. having 28 days or 29?? Ahh see, you're slipping but I personally would have gone with 8761.22/YX+B*10th power.
In all seriousness, nothing makes me want to kill more, than when for the quadrillionth time, somebody asking when CFW will/should/might be coming out. I mean ....google....use it.:rolleyes:

Boo or boo-urns?
HA I know what that means! I'm probably the only one here that does. sad.

Last edited by MasterZoilus,
Reactions: PyroGoat

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
What's so special about 7.0.0 anyways?
I can sense the butthurt... lol
While the list of things Nintendo gave us regarding it is very little, datamining suggests a LOT was changed/added, possibly in preparation for future updates.

Anyways, I'm leaning towards updating to 7.0 on SysNAND while keeping an external 6.2 SX EmuNAND partition until things pan out for homebrew on 7.0. Don't particularly care for anything unofficial except homebrew, so once a 7.0 Atmosphere solution becomes available (that isn't BYOK), I'll move to that so I can play my legit stuff online while having homebrew, all without having to cold-boot manually each time I want to "switch" what I want to play.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Atmosphere will likely get 7.0.0 within the next 14 days, and SX will likely get it 1-2 weeks after atmos does

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

When fusee gelee came out it was already known that Ninty could patch it with a hardware revision, also ipatched systems do still have exploits (ex. Dormez vous, and all the exploits in 4.x).

Also SciresM has already found a way to hack 7.0.0... 2 weeks ago

Last edited by ZachyCatGames,
Reactions: Adran_Marit

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
They are updating the CFW in such a way as not to reveal exploits deluding themselves that someone else or some white hat or Nintendo will not discover the trick anyway. Maybe it will take more time but still...
Also the fact 7.0 was hacked in less time than 6.2 (2 hours vs 4 days) with the previous exploit patched means that they had the new method already ready. And I'm sure they have another one ready so I don't understand why create all this secrecy now. Maybe they no longer have exploits. (hint: no).

Do you know why we are waiting on cfw for 7.0? Because they changed how the keys were hidden in tsec (something we can't access) But what scires is doing, instead of releasing the keys, is making a way to boot cfw without keys by generating them in the CFW, but doing that would burn the exploit, so he is hiding it, so it doesn't get burnt. That's why the secrecy as such so we don't get 8.0 in 2 weeks time

The hold up is they don't want to burn their method of getting the keys.

I've found 3 of the keys... they are around

You might arguable violate the DMCA, but then so would atmosphere. With the DMCA you don't own the number, but you can protect against someone saying that the number is the key. But the key calculation in atmosphere would also be illegal, or in fact any change to atmosphere to allow it to boot.
I'm aware, but the powers that be decided sharing keys is more immoral than all the other crap we do, so we're stuck in this cat and mouse game of burning exploits.

Given only a handful of people have all the keys, if they were leaked online it wouldn't take nintendo long to find the source and stop it.... slowing down cfw alot more than it currently is

Atmosphere will likely get 7.0.0 within the next 14 days, and SX will likely get it 1-2 weeks after atmos does

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

When fusee gelee came out it was already known that Ninty could patch it with a hardware revision, also ipatched systems do still have exploits (ex. Dormez vous, and all the exploits in 4.x).

Also SciresM has already found a way to hack 7.0.0... 2 weeks ago

Right you are :)

Brace yourselves.... June 15th is coming XD

Reactions: ZachyCatGames

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Given only a handful of people have all the keys, if they were leaked online it wouldn't take nintendo long to find the source and stop it.... slowing down cfw alot more than it currently is

Short of sending someone round to shoot them, what do you think they are going to do?

The keys aren't a copyright violation, Nintendo would have to go the DMCA anti-circumvention route to stop them.

If they were interested in the DMCA anti-circumvention route then they'd have gotten github to pull hosting for atmosphere, because deriving the keys at run time in 6.2 and earlier is just as bad as posting the keys.

Last edited by smf,

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Short of sending someone round to shoot them, what do you think they are going to do?

The keys aren't a copyright violation, Nintendo would have to go the DMCA anti-circumvention route to stop them.

If they were interested in the DMCA anti-circumvention route then they'd have gotten github to pull hosting for atmosphere, because deriving the keys at run time in 6.2 and earlier is just as bad as posting the keys.

lol no. Why do you think atmosphere is making a version to generate the keys on boot? because it is then done on console and Scires can't be done for it, hence why he won't post the keys, and if you were alert enough you would know there are nintendo employees in the server

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why do you think atmosphere is making a version to generate the keys on boot?

Because their legal advice is 100% wrong.

People make stuff up all the time. I like this one, because people would post of forums saying that they complied with the law by deleting and redownloading every 24 hours.

https://forum.digitpress.com/forum/...t-delete-these-ROMs-within-24-hours-quot-rule

because it is then done on console and Scires can't be done for it

He can't be done for posting the keys under copyright law.

He could be done for posting the keys under DMCA anti circumvention, but he could also be done for generating the keys at boot under DMCA circumvention.

Last edited by smf,

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Because their legal advice is 100% wrong.

In the 90's a lot of the piracy sites said you needed to delete downloads after 24 hours to avoid copyright infringement, people often make stuff up.

He can't be done for posting the keys under copyright law.

He could be done for posting the keys under the DMCA anti circumvention, but he could also be done for generating the keys at boot under DMCA circumvention.

The keys are nintendo proprietary code though, which I'm pretty damn sure is copyrighted

and before you counter with you can't copyright a a string of letters and numbers you can copyright the order they are in.

Which again, isn't in Atmosphere, so they cna't do anything about it. The only thing Atmosphere does is violate the terms of use

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.