So I was downloading some ROM game and the captcha told me to write this o-o

DAFACK?!

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
LOL, you think that's bad? Recently a lot of re-captchas that I do (like every 1 in 10) have random Chinese or Japanese characters that I have no clue how to type. Luckily I found out that the second word doesn't have to be correct.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
$\frac{1}{e!}d{}^{l+1}f(x)(X(x))$

Anyhow the second word is to help improve optical character recognition and/or digitise printed works. This is the sort of thing OCR has trouble with so such things often appear.

mameks

in memoriam of gravitas
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
raulpica said:
shlong said:
soulx said:
protip: you don't have to type out the second word.
waitwat.
Yep, the second word is required only if you want to help with the "captcha-project" or something, which betters OCR systems.
O:
So basically never type the 2nd word, and captcha'll stop existing?
tpi.gif

zygie

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, it'll still be there, but you wouldn't be helping in digitizing old documents and stuff. Not unless everyone in the world does it wrong and the project will be useless.
frown.gif

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shlong said:
raulpica said:
shlong said:
soulx said:
protip: you don't have to type out the second word.
waitwat.
Yep, the second word is required only if you want to help with the "captcha-project" or something, which betters OCR systems.
O:
So basically never type the 2nd word, and captcha'll stop existing?
tpi.gif

No its only certain words. One's that font is different from the "Original". One's that have numbers, symbols, or anything out of the ordinary aren't "valid" words and you can type anything (or nothing
tpi.gif
) in that slot.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
zygie said:
Well, it'll still be there, but you wouldn't be helping in digitizing old documents and stuff. Not unless everyone in the world does it wrong and the project will be useless.
frown.gif
This. If you insert wrong letters, books will get digitalized wrongly around the world. (not really, they'll just need lots and lots of manual correction)

So think twice before entering wrong letters in the captcha, you might kill hundreds of old books for the new generations.

Don't do that. Do your civil duty, and save the knowledge for future generations!
yaypsp.gif

D

Deleted_171835

raulpica said:
zygie said:
frown.gif
This. If you insert wrong letters, books will get digitalized wrongly around the world. (not really, they'll just need lots and lots of manual correction)

So think twice before entering wrong letters in the captcha, you might kill hundreds of old books for the new generations.

Don't do that. Do your civil duty, and save the knowledge for future generations!
yaypsp.gif
Well, I would assume it takes the responses of people around the world and pick the one that was chosen the most.

Unless everyone writes the wrong word.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I'll just enter "poop" as the second word and thereby insert poop into hundreds of old books
tpi.gif

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
soulx said:
Well, I would assume it takes the responses of people around the world and pick the one that was chosen the most.

Unless everyone writes the wrong word.
There was an initiative to enter a certain word but I guess it never took off.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/LZ_NvaV5HGE?si=p4H94YGObqOeX23X this brought me joy +2