Tutorial  Updated

How to put 3DS in "Incognito" mode with GodMode9

Incognito mode in modern browses is a special mode where your browsing history is not recorded.

The recent ban wave that hit CFW users is believed to have happened due to custom made CIAs installed and run from the 3DS Home Menu.

After that, some people who didn't get banned started being more cautious. Aside from disabling Spotpass and Friendlist "Playing" options I've been avoiding to run any custom made CIAs on my 3DS.

The new Luma 8.0 with HBMenu2.0 helped a lot with this, since the apps run throught it don't get logged if you use the set app entry point option.

But there are some apps that don't have a 3dsx version or don't work very well. This is an option I started using for those cases.

What is needed
  • CFW
  • Godmode9
What does this do?
  • We will rename the PTM savegame so the system creates a new one without the previous information of your used titles.
  • This way, any CIA Homebrew run during this window of time will be logged in this temporary PTM save and won't affect your previous PTM save.
Why would I do it?
  • I do it to leave my activity log and PTM "clean", looking like a retail unit.
WARNING: READ THIS BEFORE STARTING
  • IF YOU CHANGE THINGS OTHER THAN THOSE WRITTEN HERE WITH GODMODE9 YOU MAY BRICK YOUR SYSTEM.

STEP BY STEP

TURNING "INCOGNITO" MODE ON

• 1. Boot into GodMode9.
  • 2. Select "[1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND"
  • 3. Select "data"
  • 4. Select the id of your system (32 characters hexadecimal folder name)
  • 5. Select "sysdata"
  • 6. Select "00010022" (This is the PTM save data folder)
  • 7. You will find a single file named "00000000" there. Hold R then press X, this will prompt you to rename the file. Rename it to "10000000" (You will be asked to unlock writing to SYSNAND CTRNAND).
  • 8. Press START to reboot the system.
  • 9. DO NOT OPEN THE ACTIVITY LOG DURING THIS TIME (If you do it'll merge your temporary PTM data with your activity log save data).
  • 10. Install and/or launch any CIAs needed. Use them to your heart's content. (Remember to keep Wifi turned off just to be safer).
Please note: Any game time played during this time frame will not be added to your activity log unless you run the activity log during the "incognito" mode. Again, please do not do that. You will make me cry.

TURNING "INCOGNITO" MODE OFF
  • 1. Finish using your homebrew CIA. Optional: Uninstall every custom CIAs before proceeding.
  • 2. Turn the 3DS OFF and boot GodMode9.
  • 3. Select "[1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND"
  • 4. Select "data"
  • 5. Select the id of your system (32 char hexadecimal folder name)
  • 6. Select "sysdata"
  • 7. Select "00010022" (PTM save data folder)
  • 8. There will be 2 files inside the folder. Navigate to the "00000000", press X confirm to delete it. You will be asked to unlock SYSNAND writing.
  • 9. Navigate to the "10000000" file. This is your original PTM save file that we renamed earlier.
  • 10. Hold R and Press X to rename. Rename it to "00000000"
  • Press START to reboot the system.
  • Profit.

Last edited by phalk,

EQQ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
This incognito mode "may" help but as long as you configure spotpass to not send info and no auto download plus not sharing games with friends as explained on 3ds.guide what truly matter to stay safe is to not activate information shared to nintendo (some games give you a prompt) and keep spotpass disabled on every single game.
And stay far from miiplaza.Do not go online with custom made cias ( like a translation).
Also delete and never use a nnid. Nnid keeps a log of everything happening on the 3ds.
Follow those steps should be enough to use the 3ds safetly without disabling wifi on every use of an homebrew and play online peacefully.
A game pretend spotpass/nnid to go online? Get rid of it and find better games to stay safe

Last edited by EQQ,

appeltje_eitje

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I putted the incognito mode on it keeps showing what i have been playing and i turned it off and looked in my activity log and 4 febr - 4 march is empty no staps and no playtime 5 march open source eshop clone, download play, fbi,sys.settings,eshop,hblauncher-loader,pokemon gold, ????????,??????????,????????,dsp1,friendlist,mii park,6 march open source eshop clone and more, 7 march open source eshop clone and more,8 march activity log only,today is empty.. how can i delete 5-6-7 march ???

Sam356

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question, as I have read this and I know now it’s 2019 and the programs are now updated. Is there a way I can use incognito with ntr? Specially if I want to use ntr with my US game as a bot to giveaway Pokémon? Can that ntr work like that with my US while using incognito?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Don't walk towards the light!