How to get rid of install popups?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ever since I cleared the cache and cookies of my phone, I've been getting these annoying popups to install a site's app. it does it on temp, for example. I usually just wait for it to go away, but it happens quite frequently. I do have ad guard, and this is the only thing I have a problem with. any ideas? thanks.

Reactions: impeeza

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's why I use Firefox because Chrome is not going to be reliable at blocking ads for much longer.
Here are the following ad-blocker extensions that I use on a daily basis:

- uBlock Origin
- AdGuard
- SponsorBlock
- EFF Privacy Badger

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
do all those work with chrome?
Google is switching to Manifest v3 by next year, meaning that ad-blockers will no longer function. I don't know if this is the case if the ad-blockers that I had suggested will be for Chrome.

Reactions: godreborn

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
well, I just uninstalled chrome, then reinstalled it. I don't know if this will have any effect.
Don't think that's going to help with anything.
Post automatically merged:

Just resort to a different browser that doesn't spy on you.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my guess is that it's the ad popup blocker that's malfunctioning. it seems to be working correctly now, but I'll let you know if it pops up again. I'm usually on temp with my phone or laptop all day.

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
my guess is that it's the ad popup blocker that's malfunctioning. it seems to be working correctly now, but I'll let you know if it pops up again. I'm usually on temp with my phone or laptop all day.
Okay. At least I tried to help.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay. At least I tried to help.
I'll try another app, but several of them seem to want to run them instead of an actual browser app. plus, firefox said it couldn't connect to gbatemp, since it's secure (https). that's why I didn't bother using either.

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'll try another app, but several of them seem to want to run them instead of an actual browser app. plus, firefox said it couldn't connect to gbatemp, since it's secure (https). that's why I didn't bother using either.
I have no troubles with GBAtemp on Firefox.

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, Firefox has no problems with HTTPS, that would be pretty bad since every website uses it nowadays.
I use "HTTPS Everywhere" to force websites to use HTTPS regardless, it also warns me if I'm visiting a dangerous site.

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try using Kiwi Browser, it has a built-in ad blocker and allows you to install extensions from the Chrome store or GitHub. Chrome browser tends to bypass adblock extensions these days.

Last edited by raging_chaos,

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Try using Kiwi Browser, it has a built-in ad blocker and allows you to install extensions from the Chrome store. Chrome browser tends to bypass adblock extensions these days.
I honestly don't trust uncommonly known browsers, I only use the ones that I know of.

Reactions: The Real Jdbye

KeoniAzugon

Trophies
Website
Nblog.org
XP
Country
United States
For Mobile device on Android, Firefox with uBlock Origin is the way I go. Not a single issue and you can even enjoy youtube like if it where youtube vance in a way. I never did like using chrome on android or ios beacuse of how bad some sites could get with there ads/pop-ups/ spam.

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly don't trust uncommonly known browsers, I only use the ones that I know of.

If it was a closed-source browser I'd stay away from it but considering anyone can see Kiwi's source code on GitHub, and that it's based on Chromium, if it was unsafe reports would have come out by now by anyone peer-reviewing its code. The same could be said of Brave browser or any other one that specifically targets blocking ads.

After trying Brave/Blockada/Adguard/various VPN/Firefox/DNS forwarding+blocking/etc I've settled on Kiwi since it's the only one that will let me block all ads without restriction, use any Violentmonkey/Greasemonkey/UserJS script to modify specific pages and get past paywalls (you can't view this page unless you subscribe/login) on a non-rooted phone, and bypass Google's annoying "approved extension" block.

In the end, all adblocking browsers are pretty much Chromium with specific workarounds to get past whatever Google keeps coming up with.

Reactions: SylverReZ

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is what happens with gbatemp:

Screenshot_20221126-132015_Firefox.jpg

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a shotgun approach if you don't want to try searching for the specific certificate you installed: Go to Android's Settings > Encryption & Credentials > Clear credentials to delete all certificates.

If you want to search for the specific cert you installed with Adguard: Go to Android's Settings > Encryption & Credentials > Trusted Credentials > User and look for it there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1