RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As the original S3K rom is 4MB, jEnesisDS has the limit of running <= 3MB roms.

To get it to work on jEnesisDS, download the below patch:
Sonic 3 K + Save Fix / Apply to a Clean - Sonic And Knuckles & Sonic 3 (JUE) [!]

CRC32: 63522553
MD5: C5B1C655C19F462ADE0AC4E17A844D10
SHA-1: CFBF98C36C776677290A872547AC47C53D2761D6

BPS Patch
https://mega.nz/file/cMMWxKqC#Jhp9l67R1KUE6mJnR4LOVRd2zHKhmuXLPCWrQJ0KLL0
Click the underlined username for more information, such as how to apply the patch.

This patch puts all the Sonic 3 stuff excluding the Competition/2 Player stuff in the rom.
As the Competition/2 Player stuff are excluded, selecting Competition in the title screen
will take you to the Blue Spheres Game ("NO WAY! NO WAY! NO WAY?" press A+B+C).
The SRAM doesn't work, so you have to use Save States. This is a jEnesisDS problem.

Enjoy playing Sonic 3 & Knuckles on jEnesisDS! :yaynds:

Last edited by RocketRobz,

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or you could just get the Sonic Classics Collection for DS and have all the old-school Sonic's (sans Sonic CD) in one package without any hassles. It's already optimized for DS/DSi and made by the same dude who made the jEnesisDS emulator, but all official and stuff.

Reactions: The Catboy

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or you could just get the Sonic Classics Collection for DS and have all the old-school Sonic's (sans Sonic CD) in one package without any hassles. It's already optimized for DS/DSi and made by the same dude who made the jEnesisDS emulator, but all official and stuff.
I know about that. Sonic Classic Collection isn't 60fps, jEnesisDS runs at 60fps.
Imagine how a 4MB rom can run on 4MB RAM...

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
so the guy who made the emulator got hired? and ended up working on the ds game?
if so, cool :) well done for him!

sort-of. he got officially release a hacked version designed to just run the sonic games. as a result, he was unable to continue updating jenesisds.

-another world

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
oh that is awesome, and interesting that the company chose to go that route... i'm surprised, but i guess it makes sense ha

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a patch that changes the resolution of a Genesis game, so that it is compatible with the DS ?
No. The Genesis resolution is always 320x224 (or 256x224 with some games).
You can turn off Vertical Scaling in jEnesisDS. You can do that by touching the controller icon, then go to vertical scaling.

Reactions: Alfonx and fmhugo

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Sorry to necro this, I'm aware this thread is over two years old but I thought it best to post this here because this thread appears top of the list when searching for how to get Sonic 3 & Knuckles working in JenesisDS so I felt it best for everybody to post it here rather than create a new thread for no reason.

I hope the OP doesn't mind, but I uploaded the .ips patch to other places just in case the above link every dies. I think the OP is no longer active here so it would be a shame to lose the patch in this way.

http://multiupload.biz/7n143l6mfdhz/sonic3k_MultiUpload.biz.ips.html

http://www.multiupfile.com/f/5ca912aa

If anybody could upload it to somewhere more permenent, it would be appreciated!

RegularMoron

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well? What can I say? You are a god among users/rom patchers. You saved my day. Thanks a lot Robz for reuploading the file!

Yeah I know, a bit necro.
Guilty! I'm still using my DS Lite, and the official Sonic Collection's S3K still lags LIKE HELL. Plus not being able to deactivate vertical scaling makes it look awkward.

Last edited by RegularMoron,

siamese

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well, talking about necro..... Is there a way to run JenesisDS from the DSi SD card using sudokuhax and HBMenu? Cant make it recognize the roms, do I need a .cfg file ?

nibbles27

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Playing around with this a bit - hex edited the header of a patched Sonic 3 Complete rom into this patch and now saving is working (renamed header to Sonic 3 Knuckles)

So if you want sram working apply this patch SECONDLY after patching with sonic3k.ips just changes the header so jEnesisDS uses the save function properly!!

sonic3k_savfix.ips
https://www.sendspace.com/file/npm4ty

Needs testing for saving in Sonic & Knuckles part of game.

—-

Also if you can’t get saving working with games such as Shining Force series etc use v0.7

https://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/...isds-v0-7-apprenticeminusds-v0-2-6-f2056.html

Load the game twice and save both times then the save file it creates will be compatible with v0.7.4

P.S. This save patch works with 0.7.4 seems it’s only games that use large saves

EDIT: Still has graphical glitches in slot 5 and beyond of level select screen this is emulator related though these slots still work

Last edited by nibbles27,
Reactions: zfreeman and sj33

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Spring is in the air. +1