Homebrew Emulation How to Import Emulators to Homebrew Launcher?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The Super Gameboy features are really nice, and it appears to emulate (most) GB & GBC games flawlessly, but it leaves a bit to be desired.
Well, I don't believe you said you wanted a GBA emulator. open_agb_launcher is indeed the only other option with the same level as compatibility as VC injects.

If I could just relegate a few more apps to the Homebrew Launcher -- namely TWiLight Menu, RetroArch, and Checkpoint -- I'd be golden. Problem is, none of these seem to be available in .3dsx form.
You can't possibly be making regular use of all 300 apps that you have installed.

Anyway, if you look up the official site for Checkpoint, you will find that it does indeed have a 3dsx version.
https://github.com/FlagBrew/Checkpoint/releases

if there's a way to convert .cia into .3dsx?
You may recall I already said no.

It works now, but the shortcuts -- .3dsx & .cia -- say "Bad firmware location" if I try to use them and kicks me back to the home menu. Only works by holding start and booting from Luma.
The Open AGB Launcher is unofficial. If you Google for "Open AGB Launcher", you will be led to https://gbatemp.net/download/open-agb-launcher.36828/ , which tells you what you need to do.

In any case, the Open AGB Launcher still effectively resets your 3DS, so you might as well just launch it from Luma.

Thee_Stranger

Unknown Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have I offended you in some way? You're coming across as a little condescending here.

Well, I don't believe you said you wanted a GBA emulator. open_agb_launcher is indeed the only other option with the same level as compatibility as VC injects.
I would like all the emulators, please. Of all the consoles. Thank you.

Just because I didn't specifically mention GBA in my OP doesn't mean I don't enjoy emulating GBA games on my 3DS at all. I have many GBA titles installed on my 3DS as VC injects. Same for GB & GBC. Though there are more compatibility issues present with Nintendo's native GB/GBC Virtual Console emulators, especially for certain ROMhacks and IPS patches. For such occasions, I would primarily use Gameyob via TWiLight Menu. But, as I pointed out, the screen resolution wasn't so hot, which is why I originally came here seeking another solution.

mGBA indeed proved to be a far superior solution for Super GB/GB/GBC ROMs, and their respective ROMhacks, in more ways than one. But then I decided to test some GBA games with it that I wasn't able to fit as injects on my Home Menu, since I now had the ability to play them off the SD card in a nice resolution with this. I figured since it did the last job so nicely, and since it was primarily a GBA emulator, that it would perform equally as nice. Alas, that was only the case half the time, and I encountered quite a few issues with certain games. Namely, certain games that pushed the hardware. And Sonic Advance 2. Same goes for certain GB/GBC games that used voice samples.

So, I came back in search of a superior solution for the GBA itself.

You can't possibly be making regular use of all 300 apps that you have installed.
Anyway, if you look up the official site for Checkpoint, you will find that it does indeed have a 3dsx version.
https://github.com/FlagBrew/Checkpoint/releases

No, certainly not. But it is pretty much set-up and formatted as the personalized Time Capsule I want it to be, with a bunch of 3DS stuff I paid for, and a bunch of other stuff that came pre-installed that I want to leave as-is. And there are very few concessions I'm willing to make with it. I'm sorry if you find that silly and ridiculous, but that is why you are you, and I am me. And there's no accounting for OCD. The more homebrew applications that I can simply relegate to the Homebrew Menu in order to make room for a couple other things I may like to add, however, the better. So, thanks for pointing me in the direction of a Checkpoint .3dsx - couldn't find it on the Unistore at all. Appreciate it.

You may recall I already said no.

I recall you saying there was no way I could "magically" convert it by changing the file name, yes. However, that doesn't necessarily mean someone hadn't developed some software to automatically convert or compile it.

The Open AGB Launcher is unofficial. If you Google for "Open AGB Launcher", you will be led to https://gbatemp.net/download/open-agb-launcher.36828/ , which tells you what you need to do.

In any case, the Open AGB Launcher still effectively resets your 3DS, so you might as well just launch it from Luma.

Yes, I believe Shadow#1 already pointed me in that direction, and I have done that. However, I downloaded a .3dsx file as well as a .cia of "Open AGB Launcher" off the Unistore last night. Now that I have put the firmware in the appropriate location, I would find a shortcut to be a more user-friendly way to access it, and perhaps have more bells & whistles and whatnot. But, while it no longer crashes my 3DS upon boot, now it just says the firmware is in a bad location and kicks me back out to the Home Menu. Oh well. But yes, it does function by launching from Luma.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Have I offended you in some way? You're coming across as a little condescending here.
If I made a post saying "I can't do this" when the solution can be attained by a 30-second Google search, I would not be surprised to receive condescension in response.

But it is pretty much set-up and formatted as the personalized Time Capsule I want it to be
Except you've run out of room for installed titles, so I guess it can't be everything you want it to be..?

Now that I have put the firmware in the appropriate location, I would find a shortcut to be a more user-friendly way to access it, and perhaps have more bells & whistles and whatnot. But, while it no longer crashes my 3DS upon boot, now it just says the firmware is in a bad location and kicks me back out to the Home Menu.
Did you click the link and read what it says? Particularly the part about renaming the .firm file?

Also, it's not at all user-friendly and it is very much lacking in bells & whistles. It is only marginally more convenient than rebooting your 3DS. That is also documented in the link.

Thee_Stranger

Unknown Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I made a post saying "I can't do this" when the solution can be attained by a 30-second Google search, I would not be surprised to receive condescension in response.
Ah, I see. The questions were stupid enough to warrant a condescending response. I should have expected that going in, since I could not do my due diligence on my Google machine, and you are justified.

I'm not really sure which specific problem or question I had that you're referring to, but I did attempt to dig into a few things on my own on my computer box. However, I really don't care to sift through all kinds of forum pages and posts when I have the option to simply ask my pertinent questions here, and simply cut to the chase. I did Google up 3dsx files for some of these things, and could not find them. Sorry I didn't Google hard enough.

And I'm sorry that my stupid questions bother you. But they're just questions. You ain't gotta answer 'em. And if you're taking the time to answer them, while I appreciate it, you don't gotta be a jerk about it.
Except you've run out of room for installed titles, so I guess it can't be everything you want it to be..?
C'est la vie. But I'm trying to get there. If I can just get 3dsx files for TWiLight Menu & RetroArch, it pretty much will be just what I want it to be.
Did you click the link and read what it says? Particularly the part about renaming the .firm file?

Also, it's not at all user-friendly and it is very much lacking in bells & whistles. It is only marginally more convenient than rebooting your 3DS. That is also documented in the link.
YES. I did. And I renamed the firmware, like the documentation in the link said. It did not work. I'm sure I did something wrong. Wasn't sure if I had Fastboot or not, or if it was even necessarily required as I have godmode9, but was strapped for time.

Thee_Stranger

Unknown Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Little wary about installing godmode9 as Firm0, as I'm not 100% I'm doing it correctly, and have received a warning. These are the steps I've taken after booting godmode9 from the chainloader:

SDCARD - luma - payloads - GodMode9.firm - FIRM image options - Install FIRM - Install to FIRM0 -

"!WARNING!

Proceeding will install the provided FIRM to the SysNAND and inject sighax.

Installing an unsupported FIRM will BRICK your console!

To proceed, enter this
*button sequence*"

The only firms I have in luma payloads are GodMode9 and the GBA.firm. However, I know there's something to do with bootstrap 9 somewhere on my SD Card. Any advice? Thanks.

Last edited by Thee_Stranger,

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Little wary about installing godmode9 as Firm0, as i'm not 100% I'm doing it correctly, and have received a warning. These are the steps I've taken after booting godmode9 from the chainloader:

SDCARDv - luma - payloads - GodMode9.firm - FIRM image options - Install FIRM - Install to FIRM0 -

"!WARNING!

Proceeding will install the provided FIRM to the SysNAND and inject sighax.

Installing an unsupported FIRM will BRICK your console!

To proceed, enter this"

The only firms I have in luma payloads are GodMode9 and the GBA.firm. However, I know there's something to do with bootstrap 9 somewhere on my SD Card. Any advice? Thanks.
What guide or. what exactly. are you trying to do right now?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Reactions: lone_wolf323

Thee_Stranger

Unknown Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What guide or. what exactly. are you trying to do right now?
Basically trying to enable a shortcut/app/.cia for a GBA emulator, and it requires I do this. This particular emulator uses 3DS' native GBA hardware, which effectively turns your 3DS into a GBA, and locks you out of the 3DS OS when it's running due to how it's set-up.

I don't care about overwriting bootstrap9, but really wouldn't care to brick my console. I would assume godmode9 is supported FIRM, but also suspect bootstrap9 is indeed my currently installed bootloader, and I don't know if installing godmode9 to FIRM0 will effectively murder my 3DS or not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?