PS1/2 How to install FMCB or UlaunchElf on modchipped ps2?

vanillascrub

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i bought a memory card for my ps2 on ebay which already had fmcb on it, but after the freemcboot logo all i get is a black screen.

a quick search of the net seems to point to the fact that my fat ps2 is already chipped - i 'think' its with a very old chip called the magic drive 3.

i would like to know what my options are for somehow being able to play backups of my games off the internal hdd. (already got the hd and the network adapter)

edit - i was able to get a menu to appear from the pre-bought fmcb memcard. i held down r1 as the console booted and was taken into the launchelf 4.43a menu.
backing out of that menu just gives a black screen again.
is there some setting inside this launchelf program i can flip a switch on to solve my issues?

Last edited by vanillascrub,

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Can you disable the mod chip through software?

Also, you can try other methods eg. Fhdb, hacked hddosd (cant give a source), etc. Although afaik these will require writing to the hdd using a pc (fhdb requires a method to run homebrew first otherwise).

vanillascrub

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you disable the mod chip through software?

Also, you can try other methods eg. Fhdb, hacked hddosd (cant give a source), etc. Although afaik these will require writing to the hdd using a pc (fhdb requires a method to run homebrew first otherwise).

thankyou for replying

i dont know if the magic 3 chip can be disabled at all. i tried something i found on the net about holding the powerbutton down to disable the chip, but it didnt do anything.
and launchelf didnt have any options for modchips.

i can run programs through launchelf, like hdloader and opl.

its just freemcboot main menu that seems fubared.

ill have to buy another unmodded ps2 i think.
do any modchips work with the freemcboot? just incase i need modchip stuff in the future?

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
To disable,if i remember correctly:

Boot menu then press AND hold the RESET Button for sleep/standby (RED Reset LED)
Then hold RESET again until the BLUE EJECT LED comes.

Forgive me,it´s long ago.:)

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
thankyou for replying

i dont know if the magic 3 chip can be disabled at all. i tried something i found on the net about holding the powerbutton down to disable the chip, but it didnt do anything.
and launchelf didnt have any options for modchips.

i can run programs through launchelf, like hdloader and opl.

its just freemcboot main menu that seems fubared.

ill have to buy another unmodded ps2 i think.
do any modchips work with the freemcboot? just incase i need modchip stuff in the future?

If you have a method to launch homebrew, you can try reinstalling (a possibly newer) FMCB:
http://psx-scene.com/forums/f153/fmcb-v1-9-series-release-thread-116247/

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
do any modchips work with the freemcboot?
The Matrix Infinity and clones (Modbo) should work, at least they work fine for starting FMCB on 2.30+ superslims (they may or may not have problems with HDDOSD)

The problem ultimately is that a chip, to enable non-original PS2 discs, must bypass protections both in the mechacon, and in firmware (which until 2007 - the release of Memento, which inspired FreeVast/FMCB, was always loaded from ROM on the vast majority of consoles, or at most from HDD for the few Americans who bought an original disk and installed the HDDOSD)

vanillascrub

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i couldnt get the disable command to work unfortunately.

i think the mem card had fmcb 1.965 or something similar on it.
so i doint think its a really old version.

thanks for the info on the working modchips

ive now ordered an unchipped console. so we shall see if that solves the issue and lets me backup my games and save my laser

thanks for all the replies

Reactions: Alexander1970

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Maybe you can try this one from ps2-home.com:

Magic 3, 3.1

NOTE: This is with the disk assumed in the tray and the tray closed:

PlayStation 2 Games
  • Power up normally from STANDBY with RESET button. A single tap is required.
PlayStation 1 games & DVD Movies
  • Power up from STANDBY with RESET button held until the blue EJECT light comes on; then release RESET and the disk will boot.
NOTE 1: Turn off the PS2 (to standby) before changing Mode (PS1/PS2/DVD)
NOTE 2: To turn off the modchip. Hold reset for 3-5 seconds.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
lets me backup my games
If that's all you want, you could always disconnect the chip from the console, and backup your discs (originals or not) with a PC :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

fmcb 1.965 or something similar on it.
so i doint think its a really old version.
It is relatively old (by number of releases since then) - but nothing that should affect compatibility with chips...

vanillascrub

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
whilst i wait for the console to arrive

is there any boot commands or button presses i can use to try and access things on the freemcboot memory card without it going to the non-functioning main menu?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
is there any boot commands or button presses i can use to try and access things on the freemcboot memory card without it going to the non-functioning main menu?
That depends on the configuration; also, modern versions of FMCB will autoboot RESCUE.ELF from an USB stick (if, of course, FMCB and its included drivers can read it...)

NeMesiS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
QUESTION:

I have Fat PAL 30002 and 50002, would I be able to Hardmod (Modbo 4.0) and Softmod atleast one of these consoles?

Hmmmm,the 30002 has been opened, every chance theres a modchip already....

butfluffy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
my phat ps2 with an old messiah 1 chip is working fine with FMCB setup and info on the net stated that the chip would be incompatible.
what i did for setup is.

1. burn ulaunch to cd by burning a pre built iso i found online
2. copy latest FMCB noob package to usb flash drive and insert into ps2
3. launch ulaunch from burnt cd and browse to usb drive and start the FMCB installer
4. after installing everything worked but i had to manually copy the OPL elf to a proper location on on my memcard for it to show up in FMCB main menu

keep in ind that i was expecting this to not work due to the fact i was told that old messiah 1 chip would not work for FMCB setup because the chip don't have dev menu support (or something like that).
maybe installing FMBC using a burnt cd of ulaunch somehow got around the issue.
i was expecting after the install that the messiah 1 chip would somehow prevent FMCB from loading at power on and i would need to manually disable the chip but i was lucky and it worked fine.
i don't know if performing the setup yourself as opposed to using a purchased pre FMBC memcard would help matters but if your chip has a disable feature at boot then you should be good to go.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: if only it could read dvds then you would just need 1 disc