How to not suck at shopping at a grocery store.

bnwchbammer

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
antwill said:
bnwchbammer said:
3-If you're wrong, I am highly satisfied, because "The customer is always right" rule is stupid.
Except they don't mean it literally like that, they mean that you'll bend over backwards for them as their business means the most to the store.

This whole post came off as a bitter employee who feels like ranting about their job and minor pet hates because it somehow helps them feel better about their poor choice of a career. Please explain to me what makes you think you somehow have a right to overcharge, not saying you do, but saying "i said i could" implies that you believe that doing so is still not wrong.

Also in America they have people who's job is to bag the groceries? Here the person working the register does it too.

Calm down, it's like saying people in restaurants can spit in people's food.

thegame07 said:
Part of being a cashier is to interact with the customers and greet them and sometimes even have a nice conversation with them. If you don't like it I think it's time to find a new job. If I had your job and some old lady started talking to me I would make her day by talking to her , it's not hard.
I'm glad you brought up that point cuz I do actually have an old lady customer that I've known since my first week when I was a bagger. She's cool as hell, we talk, I have a bit of fun at my job. And there are plenty of customers who are awesome.

QUOTE(Sinkhead @ Jun 26 2010, 06:38 AM) I have a job similar to yours, and deep down, I dislike it.

I get through it by actively trying to enjoy what I'm doing, or at least to smile.

Try it sometime. It makes the time pass faster, at least.
I do, it's fine, again, I just felt like kinda venting, ya know?

QUOTE(Leamonde.Halcyon @ Jun 26 2010, 04:49 PM)
This is the kind of list that belongs on Retail Hell Underground.
smile.gif

I feel your pain, I worked briefly in retail and it feels like walking in the door of a store turns perfectly normal people into mentally deficient fuckwads with privilege sticks up their asses. The arrogant sneers. The superiority complex of being a -customer- there to be -served- by the retail slave. The circular logic and refusal to be denied that which they want and therefore believe is their right as -customers-. The temper tantrums. The orders. The demands. The insults. The chants that every customer marches out in your face, treating you like a retarded child that doesn't know their place.

A large portion of the world treat retail slaves like slaves, there to scrape and bow and kiss their asses just so they'll buy $5 bullshit items there instead of *competitor store*. It's ridiculous and demeaning.

And I've seen people I know who are normally perfectly nice people make this bizarre behavior transformation upon entering a store. It's embarrassing to admit knowing them when they suddenly turn into raging foaming-at-the-mouth i-want-it-now divas.

I don't know, maybe it's more pronounced in the U.S., but being a retail slave means being subject to the worst of almost every person that walks through the door.
Heh, I haven't "transformed" per say. I keep chill, it's never really an issue like many of you have interpreted my rant as.

It's not a huge issue, I just wanted to get everything off my chest for once, as I can't exactly say this to anyone's face.
I'm not an asshole in real life, nor am I at my store, I just kinda wanted to say some stuff.
Caaaaaaaaaalm down people.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
George Dawes said:
antwill said:
Also in America they have people who's job is to bag the groceries? Here the person working the register does it too.
Here we do it ourselves. Bit of a 1950s department store thing, to have your bags packed for you.
We bag our own groceries ourselves in Canada too, except for some stores. However, large grocery stores such as Superstore and Safeway require you to bag your own groceries.

And yeah, being a cashier is NOT hard work. Quit bitching about it. If you don't like it, quit and go flip burgers at McDonald's, because that's about the only job lower than being a cashier.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Skyline969 said:
George Dawes said:
antwill said:
Here we do it ourselves. Bit of a 1950s department store thing, to have your bags packed for you.
We bag our own groceries ourselves in Canada too, except for some stores. However, large grocery stores such as Superstore and Safeway require you to bag your own groceries.

And yeah, being a cashier is NOT hard work. Quit bitching about it. If you don't like it, quit and go flip burgers at McDonald's, because that's about the only job lower than being a cashier.
except for maybe cleaning bathrooms at McDonald's lol

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
syko5150 said:
Skyline969 said:
George Dawes said:
antwill said:

except for maybe cleaning bathrooms at McDonald's lol
rofl2.gif
So true.

bnwchbammer

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Skyline969 said:

I know, it's not hard, but I'm allowed to bitch at annoying customers.

Also, sorry yupyup, I'm just saying what I think. Though I'd have to know ya personally to actually think you suck at life.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Holy crap, I have worked many jobs, and cashier at a grocery store is one of the easiest...

Everything you said all I took is this:

tl;dr: I hate my job, and anyone that doesn't make my job absolute cake, I hate their guts.

bnwchbammer

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dudeonline said:
Holy crap, I have worked many jobs, and cashier at a grocery store is one of the easiest...

tl;dr: I hate my job, and anyone that doesn't make my job absolute cake, I hate their guts.
Why can't I complain about things?
It's not that bad, and I'm blowing it out of proportion, I know, but why not?

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
bnwchbammer said:
dudeonline said:

Why can't I complain about things?
It's not that bad, and I'm blowing it out of proportion, I know, but why not?

Because you just sound like a whiny kid with no coping skills.

fartos32

Trophies
XP
Country
dudeonline said:
I'm still a student and the only job I've worked as is a baker. It is terrible. I really hate spending my Sunday mornings getting up at 5:30 to bake a fucking shitload of bread. The tiny bit of work out the front as a cashier is 10 times easier than baking.

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
somedrunkenidiot said:
dudeonline said:
I'm still a student and the only job I've worked as is a baker. It is terrible. I really hate spending my Sunday mornings getting up at 5:30 to bake a fucking shitload of bread. The tiny bit of work out the front as a cashier is 10 times easier than baking.

One of the hardest jobs I worked at was Dunkin Donuts. The manager had no idea what the hell he was doing, and he had a "it's everybody's job" attitude, so we really didnt have any set stations, so most of the time I found myself baking, cleaning and tending the till up front as a cashier also. Not to mention Dunkin Donuts customers (or coffee shop customers in general) are some of the rudest people I have ever encountered.

My hardest job ever was working in a call center. Ask anyone who has worked that job, and they will tell you why.

The easiest job I ever had, actually, was selling Hoover Vacuum Cleaners. The product pretty much sells itself, but due to medical reasons, I had to quit. The job required too much "canvassing" in 110 degree heat, haha.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/5zE3H65IDtM?si=cIVsTaWar9HofeR7 +1