Hacking Huge exploit found on firmware 3.0.0: smhax

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted User

tenor.gif
Terms of Service said:
When replying to a topic, don't; unless you have something meaningful to say or something that will contribute to the discussion. Posts such as "Yes", "I agree", "LOL", "When will it be dumped?" or "When will it be translated?"; and nothing but images/emoticons or internet memes are useless and are wasteful on the servers. This is not GameFAQs or 4chan!

Stercate79

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so they talk about bugs they're working on and that need to be tested for each new version and you think it's not a big deal and update anyway
but if they precisely talked about exploit you wouldn't have
what's the difference? lol
Exactly. Many people would have not updated their console if this exploit were known, well, al least a little bit earlier.

Reactions: Masterwin

SkulllKid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes it is.

On a side note: We could be happy and hyping over this, but instead we're having an argument about whether or not it was safe to update.

so doesn't matter in wich fw we are always we have 3.0 or lower? because i think it's gonna be hard to find a game to update to 3.0 if it's possible

D

Deleted User

Exactly. Many people would have not updated their console if this exploit were known, well, al least a little bit earlier.
This is very true. So far, we've seen people say "Don't update!" and then nothing bad came out of updating. But saying a gateway-like exploit for the switch doesn't work anymore will prevent people from updating.

Granted ReSwitched didn't know about this yet, it still proves a point.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

so doesn't matter in wich fw we are always we have 3.0 or lower? because i think it's gonna be hard to find a game to update to 3.0 if it's possible
Cart updates are only present in Splatoon 2 and ARMS (that we know of) and those work fine.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Already updated for Splatoon 2.
I'm not in a rush to get homebrew though. Once there's a warez loader I'll consider getting a second Switch, but that is likely a long time away, and for now I own all the games I care about and I already preordered Super Mario Odyssey so eh.
Same here, I have to stay updated for Splatoon 2.

Stercate79

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is very true. So far, we've seen people say "Don't update!" and then nothing bad came out of updating. But saying a gateway-like exploit for the switch doesn't work anymore will prevent people from updating.

Cart updates are only present in Splatoon 2 and ARMS (that we know of) and those work fine.
Exactly what i'm talking about.

SkulllKid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

But it is for 3.0 or 3.0.1? Because I think they gonna work on the latest fw with the exploit

D

Deleted User

@Stercate79, @Ashachu123 both of you are fighting pointlessly.

@Ashachu123 I already made sure to inform you that saying "Don't update!" with nothing bad happening when you previously updated won't convince people not to update. Saying "Don't update because a gateway-like exploit will no longer work!" will stop people dead in their tracks because something could go public for once.

@Stercate79 you are also fighting pointlessly because when people were saying "Don't update to 3.0.1!", PegaSwitch had to be modified in order to be compatible so they could check smhax on it. They didn't it wouldn't work at the time, so they couldn't warn people like you wanted.

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The thing with this one is that, its such a minor number that you don't expect something of this gravity to occur. The scope of the change from 3.0.0 to 3.0.1 is massive because the hole for smhax was probably one of the biggest holes in a system ever. The change over is huge and the R&D team on this did a monstrous amount of work in patching this, but its in a measly 3.0.1 update. Not a 4.0.0 or even 3.1.0. Just 3.0.1, makes you think its some minor update to something tiny somewhere.

There were early warning signs but it took people basically sacrificing a switch to upgrade to then poke at find out just how severe the change was, and it was severe and probably worse than many expected. They burned a lot of fuses from 3.0.0 to 3.0.1 which was the first flag, but then we found out they changed all the keys, they recompiled everything, and slammed the door shut on smhax. And then bulldozed the house for good measure, if you'll allow me to stretch the analogy painfully far. Haha.

The key changes and everything that followed is going to be the biggest issue, though, because anything made post-3.0.1 will carry keys we won't know nor be able to use to decrypt. There's going to be a lot of work done on 3.0.0 or lower from now on because its an easy access point, but this means that any progress on 3.0.1 will be slowed. And 3.0.0 is going to exist as a walled-off ecosystem until someone manages to crack newer firmware to get new keys. No online. No games post 3.0.1. But emulators will be possible now.

Last edited by V-Temp,

datahoarder

Organized.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh no i mean if splatoon or ARMS update the consola to 3.0 or 3.0.1 because im on 2.0.0 and idk if i can stay there.
The tenth post on the first page denotes which games have which versions on gamecard. You couldn't read even the first page? No one asked you to read all 19, but most people are expected to at least read the first one, at hardcore minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc