Hacking I Believe I May Have Bricked My System

Baccabechoppin

GBAtemp's Finest Bacca!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So, I haven't used my 3DS in a while, turned it on, and it had a system update. I then went to Luma Updater to update to the latest stable release, so I knew it was safe to update.
From there, I began the Luma update, it was at this point I was asked if I wanted to allow boot.firm to be written to the ctrnand, I felt this was necessary in order for things to go smoothly, so I agreed.
Update finished no problem, however, the system no longer boots, with or without SD.
Blue light comes on, and then turns off again.
Have I bricked? And is there any possible way to resolve this?

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
So, I haven't used my 3DS in a while, turned it on, and it had a system update. I then went to Luma Updater to update to the latest stable release, so I knew it was safe to update.
From there, I began the Luma update, it was at this point I was asked if I wanted to allow boot.firm to be written to the ctrnand, I felt this was necessary in order for things to go smoothly, so I agreed.
Update finished no problem, however, the system no longer boots, with or without SD.
Blue light comes on, and then turns off again.
Have I bricked? And is there any possible way to resolve this?
Did you use A9LH before?

Last edited by Kubas_inko,

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm guessing you are an a9lh user which the latest version of Lima doesn't support. You will need to update to B9S the system is still functional though you just don't have a compatible payload on the SD to boot.

Reactions: WeedZ

Kubas_inko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
No. He just needs to upgrade to b9s. Though just downgrading luma would also fix it...
Then don't write he needs to upgrade to B9S. First of all, he needs to downgrade luma, to be able to launch payloads to upgrade :D

Last edited by Kubas_inko,

Baccabechoppin

GBAtemp's Finest Bacca!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Oh wait. sorry. I read it wrongly. Ups. Try downloading luma 8.1.1 and put it on root of your SD. And try boot your 3DS.
Could it just be the fact something on my SD card is corrupt? (Seeing as how it still won't boot without it)
I may be wrong in this, but I feel it may be the fault of the boot.firm being transferred to the NAND during the update (it may have corrupted)
Could that be a potential cause, or am I overthinking just a tad?

Kubas_inko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Could it just be the fact something on my SD card is corrupt? (Seeing as how it still won't boot without it)
I may be wrong in this, but I feel it may be the fault of the boot.firm being transferred to the NAND during the update (it may have corrupted)
Could that be a potential cause, or am I overthinking just a tad?
boot.firm on SD is prior to SYSNAND CTRNAND boot.firm. YOu can try clean SD, and just put boot.firm on root and see if it can boot.

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you attempt to replace the payload for Luma on the SD card yet? If the payload downloaded to the SD is corrupt so is the one in band and it won't boot.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I'm guessing you are an a9lh user which the latest version of Lima doesn't support. You will need to update to B9S the system is still functional though you just don't have a compatible payload on the SD to boot.
If he was an A9LH user, he would still have arm9loaderhax.bin and wouldn't have these symptoms.

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And no one here has offered the correct advice. Wonderful. :/ It's not an issue of a corrupt SD card or a corrupt boot.firm. It's a matter of an outdated b9s version trying to launch an updated Luma version.

@Baccabechoppin The reason why your system no longer boots is because Luma v8.0+ doesn't support your b9s version (v1.0/v1.1). Go to the Luma3DS Github and download the v7.1 release as this version supports your b9s version. Move the boot.firm to your SD card root. Your system should now boot. You should now follow this guide to update your b9s version (to v1.3 at time of writing) and in the process, you'll update your Luma version as well.

Last edited by KunoichiZ,

Baccabechoppin

GBAtemp's Finest Bacca!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
And no one here has offered the correct advice. Wonderful. :/ It's not an issue of a corrupt SD card or a corrupt boot.firm. It's a matter of an outdated b9s version trying to launch an updated Luma version.

@Baccabechoppin The reason why your system no longer boots is because Luma v8.0+ doesn't support your b9s version (v1.0/v1.1). Go to the Luma3DS Github and download the v7.1 release as this version supports your b9s version. Move the boot.firm to your SD card root. Your system should now boot. You should now follow this guide to update your b9s version (to v1.3 at time of writing) and in the process, you'll update your Luma version as well.
I only took a guess at those being the reasons behind the issue as I wasn't aware of any updates to b9s, I shall take better caution into reading up on things from now on.
Alas, thank you for your help, my system is all up and running again now! :yay:

Reactions: KunoichiZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Now go take a shower @BakerMan . Phew