Thirty3Three

Musician Member
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually just started it. I felt the need to mention that I HATE anime with a PASSION. I find it geeky, nerdy, and made for people with social issues and disorders, filled with cringe-worthy emotes and over-exaggerated expressions and reactions from the characters... That is MY opinion. (My opinion. Get it? Got it? Good. Now that that's over, no more talking about it.) - I emphasized that point just so you'll be able to feel and understand my disdain for anime.

So as you can see, this is a HUGE step for me to watch a movie based on one. I thought it'd be interesting to post this thread, just so that, after the movie is done, I can tell you my thoughts and feelings about the movie, having never watched the show, and having limited understanding of the show. This way you can see that my judgement of the movie is based purely upon the movie, without any prior biases due to the show, itself.

I'm at the scene, right now, where Willem Defoe appears, and it's super cheesy, but I'll deffo keep you all updated! :)

Update: First real view of Defoe. Looks super creepy with that smile, from the shadows. Can't wait to see him outside of the shadows. Definitely did well on the makeup. He looks exactly like how he does in the anime. And holy shit, first victim. Now THAT was dark haha.

Update 2: I want to punch the dad right in the vagina.

Update 3: Second guy's death looked SO fake LOL

Last edited by Thirty3Three,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I hate it too, bro.:yay:
High five!

But still, I doubt even mere imagery or story would make me like.
I saw a bit of it and it still has the source material in it.
Sorry Japan but I just don't like your shit :lol:

Reactions: Deleted User

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm kind of skeptical about watching the livery action movie. I'm a hit and miss anime viewer just like I am with cartoons. The aim of death note is a very thrilling experience part take in as you watch the series. My mind is still bamboozled by it. I won't bring high expectations to watching the movie, I'll just see it as any other original Netflix show.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Not complaining about whether you like anime or not, but you could have made the title more accurate as you're giving opinions of the film and maybe include spoiler warnings.

Reactions: BlackWizzard17

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate it too, bro.:yay:
High five!

But still, I doubt even mere imagery or story would make me like.
I saw a bit of it and it still has the source material in it.
Sorry Japan but I just don't like your shit :lol:
High five! B)

I'm going in with an (unfortunate) open mind lol.

I'm kind of skeptical about watching the livery action movie. I'm a hit and miss anime viewer just like I am with cartoons. The aim of death note is a very thrilling experience part take in as you watch the series. My mind is still bamboozled by it. I won't bring high expectations to watching the movie, I'll just see it as any other original Netflix show.
That's one reason why I'm watching it to critique it without bias:) I've never seen the show. So far, the movie is cheesy, I just feel like it's going by WAY too fast right now. So that's a negative.

Not complaining about whether you like anime or not, but you could have made the title more accurate as you're giving opinions of the film and maybe include spoiler warnings.
I could've. And I'm avoiding spoilers.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wtf? It says Death Note and Netflix! What's with all those wanting spoiler warnings? Kids these days....
Btw I liked your opinion, awesome "article "
Not an article. Just my thoughts.

Btw I liked your sarcasm

So the acting kinda sucks inn the movie, it's going by WAY too fast... but the acting sucks in such a way that it's just not "movie-like". It's kind of like, real conversations which is nice. No cheesy or unnatural phrases.

EIDT: and just like that, the cheesy "movie-esque" statements are beginning to appear. Fuck.

Reactions: Byokugen

Byokugen

Unit_01
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Not an article. Just my thoughts.

Btw I liked your sarcasm

So the acting kinda sucks inn the movie, it's going by WAY too fast... but the acting sucks in such a way that it's just not "movie-like". It's kind of like, real conversations which is nice. No cheesy or unnatural phrases.

EIDT: and just like that, the cheesy "movie-esque" statements are beginning to appear. Fuck.
I liked the anime version, japanese live-action are okish I guess. But I don't think I'll watch Netflix version :-)
But those crying about spoiler warning piss me off.

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh shoot, it's out already? I had written it off ages ago because I knew it was going to be a horrible adaptation. Hollywood never gets these things right. Guess I'll hafta watch it myself now, just to see how bad it is and how much it fails the source material. Loved the actual Death Note anime.

Byokugen

Unit_01
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Oh shoot, it's out already? I had written it off ages ago because I knew it was going to be a horrible adaptation. Hollywood never gets these things right. Guess I'll hafta watch it myself now, just to see how bad it is and how much it fails the source material. Loved the actual Death Note anime.
Hollywood actually got Ghost in the Shell right. I really liked the movie. And Netflix did an awesome job on Castlevania

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Hollywood actually got Ghost in the Shell right. I really liked the movie. And Netflix did an awesome job on Castlevania
I haven't watched Ghost in the Shell, either the original or the Hollywood version. From what I remember reading, it's only mediocre and tries going the action route instead of being the psychological thriller the original was. Or so I've heard (again, haven't watched it).

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bruh has a business card... WITH ONLY HIS FUCKING NAME ON IT. No number, nothing. JUST his name... which he just stated... He's all like, "My name is XXXX" and just hands the dude a card with the same name on it. Like seriously? That's just poor writing. That's not a realistic thing to have happen LOL

Byokugen

Unit_01
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I haven't watched Ghost in the Shell, either the original or the Hollywood version. From what I remember reading, it's only mediocre and tries going the action route instead of being the psychological thriller the original was. Or so I've heard (again, haven't watched it).
Agree, but better than.all Moneywood anime adaptations.
Btw why is L black OP?

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agree, but better than.all Moneywood anime adaptations.
Btw why is L black OP?
Wtf is L black? - Might've missed it, but I thought I saw something about L in the movie... and then I saw a black guy... coincidence?

Another update: So like, someone says something, and without any explanation, another person is like, "Yep, I believe you. Fuck yes".... seriously? (paraphrasing btw)

Reactions: Byokugen
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Btw why is L black OP?

Lol, they made such a big deal about this movie being "whitewashed" but here is a pivotal character being "blackwashed" and not a peep from anyone, haha. But anyways, I feel they just fucked up the casting in general. I can't take any of the characters seriously. Like, L being black just cracks me up. Tbh, they took all the mystery out of him. And... he gets up on a podium to address a large crowd of reporters? Ummmm what? L did that?

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/T78NsMwZOA0 +1