I have downloaded CFW. How do I upgrade my SD card now?

Manti

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The SD card I used is a 4gb one and I bought a 32 gig. I saw some older posts claim I need to swap all my files to the new one and format it. Is this still up to date?

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Ensure that the target card (the new one) is formatted as FAT32. Because it's only 32GB, it should probably be easily formatted as FAT32 by Windows itself if it isn't already FAT32.

Once it's properly formatted, copy everything from the source SD card (the old 4GB one) to the target SD card. (the new one)
Once that's finished, insert the new card and ensure that your 3DS still powers on and can play the games that are on the SD card.

Manti

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ensure that the target card (the new one) is formatted as FAT32. Because it's only 32GB, it should probably be easily formatted as FAT32 by Windows itself if it isn't already FAT32.

Once it's properly formatted, copy everything from the source SD card (the old 4GB one) to the target SD card. (the new one)
Once that's finished, insert the new card and ensure that your 3DS still powers on and can play the games that are on the SD card.
What can go wrong?

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
What can go wrong?
Practically, nothing. In theory, the only things that could go wrong here (besides both SD cards somehow suddenly going corrupt to the point of going read-only) would just be you messing up the copy process, and if you copy the SD card contents (everything on the root of the 4gb card) to, say, your computer in a folder somewhere, you'll have a backup. Copy that backup to the new card and it will just work; the "Nintendo 3DS" folder on the SD card is where all your games and saves are stored; It's iirc "encrypted" to your particular 3DS's seed (movable.sed I think?) and if copied to another SD card, will work perfectly fine as your 3DS can easily decrypt it. If you're moving to another Nintendo 3DS system entirely, that's a different process.

Reactions: Manti

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol