DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Negative ^^, that's no reason to not play great games.
Take Golden Sun for example. Not that conclusive of an ending, but it finally gets a sequel 7 years later.
yaynds.gif

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TrolleyDave said:
shinkukage09 said:
Actually, Trolley, I still own my original Dreamcast. And my computer can emulate games just fine. So...neh. Not like I really care, though.

With a comment like "so...neh" I'm surprised you're old enough to have an original Dreamcast. And there's whol world of difference between "just fine" and "perfectly".

I'm probably a lot older then you think I am. As for "neh", it's more along the lines of I didn't care enough to continue arguing.

asdf

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
shinkukage09 said:
funem said:
shinkukage09 said:
Kind of a waste of $42...
Hell no its not. Dreamcast is one of the most under rated consoles that there has ever been. I own a lot of consoles and the DC and its games are still top of my list...

I never said it was a bad console. But with everything out now that can emulate it perfectly, well, to me, it just seems to be a waste of $42
I hate people like this. Just because you can emulate things on your computer, doesn't mean you want to. For example, I recently bought an NES off of the internet. I tell my dad, and he gets pissed at me because I can play the games on my Wii and PC.

More on topic, great deal. The Dreamcast was awesome.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
asdf said:
shinkukage09 said:
funem said:
shinkukage09 said:
Kind of a waste of $42...
Hell no its not. Dreamcast is one of the most under rated consoles that there has ever been. I own a lot of consoles and the DC and its games are still top of my list...

I never said it was a bad console. But with everything out now that can emulate it perfectly, well, to me, it just seems to be a waste of $42
I hate people like this. Just because you can emulate things on your computer, doesn't mean you want to. For example, I recently bought an NES off of the internet. I tell my dad, and he gets pissed at me because I can play the games on my Wii and PC.

More on topic, great deal. The Dreamcast was awesome.

Hate me all you like, I won't lose sleep over it. Sorry, it just seemed like a bit of a waste of money, sorry, forgot we're not allowed to have opinions. As for the NES, well, that IS kinda a waste unless you get it real cheap. For a collector, though, I'd wonder why you don't already have one. I myself have a gold-plated one.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i kind of agree with the console over emulation argument i rather play my nes games on my sharp tv nes combo
0018.jpg
than on my wii.
the problem is finding cartridges and not having the $$$ to invest in a flash cart for the nes so the only exception are those hard to find ones and even then on the wii it at least feels a bit more like a nes thanks to the controllers shape.
but then again to each there own.

Capn_Makeveli

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Congrats on the great purchase. Definitely one of my favorite systems. As stated before Crazy Taxi is awesome. I also like Mortal Kombat Gold. And the VMU is pretty cool. Not very much battery life, but cool.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
wolffangalchemist said:
i kind of agree with the console over emulation argument i rather play my nes games on my sharp tv nes combo than on my wii.
the problem is finding cartridges and not having the $$$ to invest in a flash cart for the nes so the only exception are those hard to find ones and even then on the wii it at least feels a bit more like a nes thanks to the controllers shape.

Never seen a telly like that before, that's pretty fucking awesome! I'm guessing it's a NOAC inside of it, does it run everything pretty well?

fluffykiwi

Trophies
Website
www.gba.shorturl.com
XP
Country
Some great games on Dreamcast, i still dig my original one out occasionally.

I will even play Half-Life on Dreamcast before I would play Half-Life on PC nowadays.

Also some of the best Arcade conversions ever.

Alot of games did not even require a boot disk. You simply burnt and played.

I believe that was the reason it died, as piracy was too easy. Oh that and the fact SEGA couldn't have marketed it even if they were giving them away for nothing.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TrolleyDave said:
wolffangalchemist said:
i kind of agree with the console over emulation argument i rather play my nes games on my sharp tv nes combo than on my wii.

Never seen a telly like that before, that's pretty fucking awesome! I'm guessing it's a NOAC inside of it, does it run everything pretty well?
actually it has authentic Nintendo hardware inside, only about 200 of them where ever made retail mine is one that's a bit rarer than those because it's the modle used for displays and motels the 19sc111 not the 19sv111 look here for references.
http://nes.wikia.com/wiki/Television_With_Built-In_NES

Bloodgod

嵐の王
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Been meaning to ask this. DC doesn't need a mod chip to play backup games right?

Did those GD-Roms contain a bunch of dummy files to fill the 1-2gigs(?).

and how do you burn them to CD-Rs if the disks are more than 700MB?

impur1ty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The Dreamcast does not need a modchip. You just download the disc images and burn them to CD. GD-roms are ~1.2GB but very few games are too big to fit on a standard CD-R.

Couldn't me much easier really.

blueskies

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
woo, lots of passion about this console it seems. I remember the hype surrounding this console about 10 years ago (I was in 9th grade I think) but I already had a playstation and was going along with that line of consoles. This is actually my first Sega console EVER so I'm pretty stoked. And $42 is like.. nothing in my book for a console like this, plus the VMUs...not a waste. I'm a fan of underdog situations like the whole Dreamcast saga, I'm happy to go back in time and play some older games. New games today are so run of the mill and seem to be copies of each other. I'm so sick of first person shooters...

I've already got Crazy Taxi and Shenmue 1/2 ready to go, but I'm waiting on more games because I'm still not sure if this one plays backups. I can't find any information on when the blue ones were released, I'm hoping it was early on in the lifespan. If this is a late model one, will the Utopia disc still let me load backups?

I also want Seaman (probably have to buy so I can get the mic), Skies of Arcadia, some fighter (Power Stone?), and a slew of other great titles for this system.
smile.gif
Also Bangai-O, Ikaruga (love shooters!), Jet Grind Radio, maybe Sonic,

fluffykiwi

Trophies
Website
www.gba.shorturl.com
XP
Country
I think there were blue dreamcasts released in 2000 by Electronic Boutique. I do not think there were any internal modifications, so they should play backups fine.

Please note the majority of Dreamcast backups play without using a bootdisk, you simply burn and play. If the backup does not work then you should try the Utopia boot disk.

Bloodgod

嵐の王
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WTF? arn't scene releases all self boot?

Edit: few years back I remember you had to patch CDi/ISOs to make it self boot or something like that. If that's the case can someone link me to a tutorial.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I wouldn't worry about it too much, 95% of all scene releases are selfboot and the other 5% you can just use the Utopia disc for.

blueskies

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One more great thing about the dreamcast.. I found an awesome torrent that has all the scene releases, and is nicely seeded. I just went through and picked the specific ones I want (well, the ones I can fit on my ever shrinking harddrive space). I'm so happy there are still sceners keeping this console alive and seeding the games.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Bloodgod

嵐の王
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
are all dreamcast able to boot back ups or just certain versions of it? I'm thinking of grabbing a Sega Sports (black) version on craigslist.

Anyways let me know

blueskies

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what I've been trying to answer.. you know with google.
Apparently late late models had some kind of protection added that made all the scene releases unplayable.. something about the disc format. But I think it was only the Hello Kitty models in Japan. The black version should be fine but you won't know until you try.

Btw, I picked up these games last night:
Bangai-O
Capcom vs SNK
Chu Chu Rocket
Crazy Taxi 2
Crazy Taxi
Gauntlet Legends
Grandia II
Illbleed
Jet Grind Radio
Legacy of Kain (one of my favorite PSX titles)
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Ooga Booga
Phantasy Star Online
Power Stone 2
Prince of Persia Arabian Nights
Samba de Amio
San Francisco Rush 2049
Sega Smash Pack vol1
Shadowman
Shenmue
Shenmue 2
Skies of Arcadia
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Space Channel 5
Sword of the Berserk
Tomb Raider The Last Revelation

Good list? If there are any other major recommendations, tell me now please because for some reason my torrents won't reseed past ~10kbps, and I think I'm going to get banned from this site for not reseeding. They are having some 'free download golden week' next week, so I want to get the best games while I can.
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    denpafan @ denpafan: swag